IGNORED

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

• Yes (as @iacas might say, deets please)
    • No

I have had the pleasure of doing this twice. Once on the first hole I drove it in a bunker. I thought I could get a 7 iron over the lip. Turned out I was wrong. It hit the face, bounced back and hit me in the chest. Not hard. It didn’t hurt (physically anyway). This was when it was a 2 stroke penalty. Ouch. Made 8.

The other time was chipping over a low stone wall in my parents’ backyard. I thinned it into the wall and it bounced back and hit my cheekbone just under my eye. That one hurt. I was about 15 at the time. Turned round to my dad looking for sympathy. I got “you idiot” instead!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Turned round to my dad looking for sympathy. I got “you idiot” instead!

That's a dad thing...A real learning moment.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Do foam ones count?

If so then yes, this morning. 9 iron, aim was off, hit a box and flew straigh back and hit me between the eyes.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 1/3/2017 at 11:42 PM, bm85 said:

No, but I just about blinded myself with mud splatter a few times.

Me, too.   For the life of me, I cannot figure out the physics of hitting myself in the face with mud.  But I've done it several times. 

I've never hit myself with a golf ball though. 

Once, and it involved a tree. I normally have no issues hitting through trees. :whistle: and what started off as a nice punch shot ended up with a bruised torso.

Close quite a few times.

Kind of scary two times off the tee, and some older players decided not to play the same hole as me for fear of getting hit. My tee shot squarely hit a tree 70 yards or so away and the ball rolled up behind us to the right. I continued to play it with a hybrid/9i for a 3 putt double. They played out the hole then just went off with the husband claiming his wife wanted to play some other holes or something to that effect. The other time was on a par 5, ball hit the Oak tree in the middle of the fairway, through a small hole in the bushy branches then back out that hole with the flight of a LW then landed right behind us. My friend asked me if I wanted to play it as it lay. 

Hit my 3W at the driving range, squarely bounced off the tree about 55 yards away and rolled back through the next stall onto the putting green. I quietly said “fore” as a father and son pair setup their bags. The dad said “I’ve never seen that before...”, and I just said “You haven’t played with me before” :-P

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Once and it involved a few trees.  I had hooked the ball into some trees on the left but had a good lie and what I deemed to be a adequate opening and path to the green.  It was a dog leg right hole and I was playing well so decide to go for the green.  I don't remember what club but something like a 5 Iron for me.  Anyway I managed to hit the right hand tree and like a ping pong machine it redirected the ball to the left hand tree which immediately redirected the ball to the middle of my chest, the breast bone.  Not a pleasant experience.  While I don't condone foul language I think maybe I said darn or something close to that. Ruined the round and bruised me so bad I couldn't swing the club for a week or so.

Butch

Oh, yes I've hit myself with my own golf ball plenty of times. Most hilariously this past summer...on the tee box....with a driver....

The hole was a pretty hard dogleg right, but you can cut the corner a little bit with fade and be sitting pretty less than 100 out. Trying to do that, I hit this ball so bad that it darted strait right like i shanked it or something. It actually hit the ball washer next to the tee and ricocheted hard right back at me. It ended up hitting me in the shoulder and left a welt. The ball washer was completely wrecked :-$

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Me, too.   For the life of me, I cannot figure out the physics of hitting myself in the face with mud.  But I've done it several times.

Usually with higher lofted clubs – the divot/mud is simply redirected into your face by the loft on the club. Getting squeezed at all (if you hit it fat) between the golf ball and the clubface only helps that.

Just guessing. I've been glad I've been wearing glasses in the past with the mud that's flown up at me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've never personally done this, but my uncle lost his left eye from a ricochet. He heeled his drive and it hit the tee marker about 10 yards ahead of him and came back and basically crushed his eye. My grandfather was playing with him and saw the whole thing. Yikes!

I guess this would be another good reason to tee it forward.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, billchao said:

Yup. Tried to punch out of the woods and caught a tree solid. The ball hit me square in the chest.

Same here, it hurt! Can't imagine what it would, (or will) feel like to get hit with one on the fly. 

2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Same here, it hurt! Can't imagine what it would, (or will) feel like to get hit with one on the fly. 

Can't imagine it would feel too good and I'd rather never know, myself :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

Can't imagine it would feel too good and I'd rather never know, myself :-)

A friend once told me he knew a guy who lost an eye hitting a ball into a tree. My experience and that tale encourages me to just chip it out onto the fairway and take my medicine.

Note: This thread is 2281 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!