IGNORED

How Can I Ever Get an Eagle?

paininthenuts
Note: This thread is 1678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My advice is:

1. Shorter tees

2. Other and much shorter course

3. Practice

4. Play a lot

Odds are you will get lucky somewhere in the future.

My first eagle was on a 410y par4, downwind and a fantastic drive that hit the fairway on a slight down slope. Still 155y to the hole and my I6 was like a stinger, rolled the last 5y in the hole. So two good shots, perfect circumstances and a lot of luck did the job.

My first 3 eagles were all full shots from distance. The fourth a one putter on a short par 5. That was I think the 10th opportunity on a par5, allmost all ended in a three putt par.

Edited by MacDutch

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I remember my first eagle. It was on 545 yard hole, with a very wide fairway. The fairway turf was cut short, also pretty firm, and a little down hill, which in turn gave me lots of roll after the carry. So, the hole's condition was right for me to get maximum distance for my first two shots.

When you are out golfing, watch for a hole with the correct conditions in relation to your game, to help with that eagle try. 

My third shot was about 5 feet off the green, with another 10 feet to the hole. I chipped in for my eagle. So, not all eagles need to be made with a putter. I also have a (lucky) eagle with my 5i on a short par 4. 

When ever you have set yourself up for a decent shot at an eagle, I say go for it with the proper club for the distance required. :-D

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Eagles just happen.

I got my first one after I knocked my 4-wood just over the back edge of the green on a short Par 5. I took an 8 iron, gauged my landing point, and rolled a downhill chip shot into the center of the cup.

I have had other "near eagles." I took a penalty stroke somewhere on a hole, and somehow managed to make a birdie anyway.

And as others have said, play from shorter tees. If you hit a decent (not super) drive and still need a fairway wood into most of the par 4s, you're playing from the wrong tees.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Consider joining a club that doesn't have this rule:

3 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

Men are not permitted to play off of the short tees in any conditions 

Many years ago, Erik had a bunch of us play a round from the forward tees at nearby courses.  I hit more GIR than I had at any point up to that time and shot an incredibly low score.  It was a lot of fun having a good chance to hit GIR on every hole despite being a 22 or so handicap at the time.  No eagles, but I was sadly of the opinion of the "two full shots if you can't make it in one" view at that time.  A longer hitter would have had a few more looks at eagle that day.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

In the UK it may be a little different. We have white tees for comps, we have yellow tees for men, and red for women. The type of distances I referred to in the thread are off of the yellows, which are still a hell of a distance on my local course. Men are not permitted to play off of the short tees in any conditions 

1. What are the yardages for the tees?

2. What exactly are they going to do if you tee it up from the forward tees? Kick you off the course?

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

9 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

1. What are the yardages for the tees?

2. What exactly are they going to do if you tee it up from the forward tees? Kick you off the course?

The only things I can think of are:

1) Laugh hard in the club house, and hand you a longest tee shot award for the ladies (assuming you actually hit farther than all the ladies)

2) Some of the older ladies will object to people hitting into them from the tee box while they are still on the green.

Honestly, restricting men to something like 6500 yard (or longer) tees seems kind of silly. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I had 4, 2 on par 5s were chip-ins and 2 on par 4s were hole-outs from 138 and 104 yds. I have been on a par 5 in two shots (and a few times over the green too), but never converted the longish putts.

To maximize your chances, you need distance, at least relative to the overall hole length, so you end up on or near a par 5 in two shots, and/or luck to hole-out from far away (par 3 and par 4).

• Upvote 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I've never made an eagle on my home course that I play every week.  The only time I played savannah harbor I chipped in on my third shot on the 468 part 5 11th.  Good tee shot that left 230 to the middle, great approach with a 4 wood, that carried a bunker and had a good roll out to about 10 or 15 yards short of the green, 9 iron bump and run chippy thing that happened to find the hole.  I barely broke 100 that day, new course that was just after a tournament so rough was long and greens were fast.  My home course I've putted for eagle a few times but so far none have dropped there .

I played a long time before making one. There is an old adage, even a blind squirrel will find an occasional acorn. Mine was on a dog leg par 5. It is the closest I have even come to an albatross. I hit a 3 wood from over 200 yards and it landed on the front of the green and rolled up to the pin caught a piece of the hole and ended up behind the pin about a foot away for a tap in birdie. The best way to make an eagle is to play from a reasonable distance yardage for your ability. When I moved up to a shorter set of tees I started making more eagles.   If you can't reach your par 4's in two you are either a short hitter or the course is way too long for you. 

14 hours ago, paininthenuts said:

I have never had a eagle, and at my course I can never see it happening. On a par 3 it would be a hole in one. Our course is very long, and there is only one par 4 I can reach in two shots, so the chances of a eagle is remote. Likewise with the par 5s. There isn't one I stand a chance of reaching in two, so the best I can hope for is a birdie. In all honesty the only chance is a very long approach shot with a lot of luck.

How have you got yours ?

I'm in my 60s. 410 yd par 5. I play from the senior tees. I hit a 230 yd drive and put my second shot on the green. Sank the 18 foot putt.

But last year those 230 yd drives were more like 215 yd drives.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

6 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Eagles just happen.

This is true.  I had 3 in '16 and I'm not very good.  Find your proper tee box and square the club at impact from time to time.  It'll happen.

Edited by Gunther

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I am in total agreement with the idea of playing forward tees.... even if it is only once a week or only on certain par 5's. You will be surprised how much it will sharpen your short game... and make you a better player overall. I only this year at age 67 gave in and decided to play the white tees (vs blue tees) the majority of the time at our course. No longer forcing myself to over swing the driver was a blessing. And a funny thing happened... I won 2 Championships that were played from the blue tees? I had assumed playing from the white tees would weaken my game from the blue tees. It did not. Instead it sharpened my short game and lowered my scores. All handicap systems can be adjusted for blue vs white tee scores. Just be sure to post correctly as many systems are set to default to blue tee scoring. My advice... play more forward tee golf, score some of those elusive birdies and eagles, and enjoy the game more. BTW You will also find a huge improvement in pace of play. I wish more players would play the correct tees!

• Upvote 1

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

Hit your tee shots farther and putt better. If anyone has a better formula, I'm all ears!

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Get better with the driver. All of mine - I think I've had three now - have come after a seriously good drive (300ish yards) on a short par 5 (say 450-480 yards). It's much easier to make when you have an iron in your hand! Then again, I've also been through the back of a 530 yard par 5 after two 3 woods, so par fives tend to be a very good scoring opportunity, provided I hit an accurate drive. Sadly, they still aren't as accurate as I'd like!

If your home course doesn't offer you those kind of short-ish, scoring holes, why not try gettting away from that course a bit more?

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I posted 82 rounds this year, had 5 eagles. One was from driving a shortish Par 4. The other 4 were from excellent approach shots on Par 5's. My course only has 3 Par 5's and the eagles were distributed 1-2-1. Interestingly enough none had putts made of more than 15-20 feet. Not one was from a chip which probably is a surprise as I am a strong chipper. And like others, I can very unfondly remember turning at least 3 changes into 3 putt Pars, fortunately no 4 putt bogeys. Before you question my honesty... one was from blue tees, 4 were from the white tees.

Driver :T Edge CB-1 or Cally Mini Driver 14* or GBB 11*
Tour Edge CB2 15* 3 wood (Best Club Ever!)

Callaway XR 5Wood (New BCE!)

Hybrids: Nike SQ 23*  Tour Edge 28*

Irons: TMade RAC  7-PW   T Flight 56 SWedge
Putter: Odyssey 2 Ball Blade, SStroke flatside to hole

I've made eagles on 10 different holes at  my current course, all three Par 5's and 7 of the Par 4's.  And on two of the par 4's I've had two eagles and have three on one other one.

Don't really keep track every year, but I eagled all par 5's this year, as well as have 4 on Par 4's. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

16 hours ago, dkolo said:

Hit your tee shots farther and putt better. If anyone has a better formula, I'm all ears!

Easy: hit your first shot on a par three, or your second shot on a par 4, or your third shot on a par 5 in the hole. Sadly this advice will not help you to make more Eagles, just as yours doesn't. :-\

• iacas changed the title to How can I ever get an eagle?
  • Administrator
On 1/21/2017 at 4:29 AM, paininthenuts said:

How have you got yours ?

By hitting the ball reasonably far, and making a putt, or holing out a second shot on relatively short par fours.

Not that much to it.

Play enough and have decent skills and you'll get them now and then.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1678 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!