IGNORED

Best Shot of the Week

iacas

My best shot turned out to be a lot less great than it looked and felt.  On one of the more difficult holes on our course, I hit an okay drive that finished up the right side of the fairway.  It left me about 170 yards, up a slight hill and into a breeze to a pin at the back of the green.  To get to that pin, you have to carry the trap at the front-right portion of the green.  There's a tree that hangs over the right side of the fairway, so you either have to play a low shot that can carry the trap and hold the green, or you have to work the ball around those branches.  I chose to try and work the ball.  

I hit a 5 iron that started just left of the branches and faded just the tiniest bit towards the flag.  From where I was standing, it looked like it was going to be a tap-in... but then the ball suddenly started rolling back towards the front-left part of the green.  

I somehow ended up 31 feet away from the hole.  I must have come up about 15 feet short of the flag and caught the ridge that funneled the ball towards the front of the green.  I never saw a ball mark, so I have no idea where my ball actually landed, but... it was quite disappointing to hit the exact shot I wanted to hit and have it wind up where it did.  

My putt from there was just left of the cup and was left with a simple tap-in par.

Oh... wait.  I forgot about the other unrewarded shot.  A short par 5 (listed at 486 on the card but playing more like 450 today) where I hit a pretty good drive up the right side.  There are traps at about 260 yards from the tee and my ball finished just to the right of them, leaving me about 190 yards to the hole with a breeze at my back.  I hit a 5 iron that was just right of the pin.  When we got up there, I had no idea where my ball was.  Turns out it carried onto the green and then rolled all the way off the back into a crappy lie where I had to take my stance in the bunker, hold the club on the metal and stab the ball onto the green.  I went from believing I'd have an eagle putt to having to settle for a disappointing par.

CY

Edited by Fairway_CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

We had exceptionally nice weather for Christmas Day in Portland, OR....50 degrees; sunny; no wind......I scooted out to Greenlea Golf Course in Boring, OR, a well maintained 9 hole executive course which is great for winter golf.......I had a so-so round for me (6 over after 8 holes) until I got to the par three 9th......that tee shot was my shot of the week: pin high; eight feet to the right of the hole...sank the birdie putt :-)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Played Cave Creek GC (goat ranch in Phoenix ghetto) over the weekend. I pured a 19 degree hybrid from 235 to 18 inches for my second shot into a par 5. Rode a right to left wind and it hit and checked up releasing just past the pin. Probably the best shot I have ever had for an albatross.

Trollin' is the life

On Monday I played 18 at Turnberry golf course in Columbus, Ohio. the 3rd hole is a par 3, 135. pin was back edge of the green, with a big grassy hill and woods beyond the green. I knew I couldnt get a PW 135, so the goal (even told my playing partner this before the shot) was to land it front/middle of the green, then have 2 putts for par.

I landed it a few feet on the front edge, about 120 yds, read the putt, and sank the 40 foot putt for birdie! That is the longest putt Ive ever made, and the first time I got a birdie on a par 3.

I followed a tip I read from @iacas on here where he said for back pin locations to subtract 5 yds and for front pin locations to add 5 yds. Thanks for the tip!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• 1 month later...

Sunday's are always golfing with my sweetheart and couples golf.
The seventh hole is our home hole (red line at top R-center) a short par 4 (303 yards)
This was my ninth "Eagle" on number 7 over the past 11 years.

Crazy winds today, caught a good gust which carried my drive over the far bunker and on the down slope.
With only the top half of the pin visible, I hit the shot at the flag.
My friend told me it checked up on the first bounce and then rolled about a foot into the hole.

GAME GOLF Club Rat Review 7.png

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Matt Kuchar had a pretty good shot this week..  

• Upvote 1

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Conditions in the Soggy Mitten have been less than optimal but I keep playing.  Last week I hit a decent drive in the fairway on the par 5  11th hole.  When I arrived at my ball, it was in a very deep partially healed divot hole.  It was going to be a challenge to get a club down to the ball but I grabbed my 6 iron, gave it a rip and gouged out a decent shot to around 130 yards from the green,  From there I hit the green and rolled in a birdie.

I might not have successfully dug the ball out of the divot crater but for the fact that the ground is really soft, which likely aided me in moving a lot of dirt.  I filled in the hole with my divot and parts of other ones so the next person that comes long won't have to worry.

Brian Kuehn

Twin shots of the week for me.

Hole: 15th at my home course. Elevated green, the one that if you miss the green the ball will roll downhill 20 yards away from the green.

Last Sunday from 145 yards front pin against the wind hit an 8 iron which landed 1 foot long from the hole living me a 3 footer for birdie (missed).

This saturday from 157 yards back pin crosswind hit an 8 iron which landed 1 foot short from the hole and spin back for a 6 footer for birdie (missed)

They rebuilt the bunkers at the home course and the new sand is perfect, when raked. I couldn't have done this in the past and the new sand has changed the way I play bunkers shots there. This was a all the way open PW blast to a ridge that let the ball trickle to about 2 feet, somewhat long at 30 yards. Was actually to save bogey after the wind took a shot that came out of scrub hot and it flew over the green. If this was last year I'd have tried to pick it clean with a LW and get it anywhere out of the bunker, the sand was that bad.

sand.JPG

Dave :-)

First round of the year (first time swinging the clubs too)  I made a 20 footer for birdie.  

But what made the shot my "best" shot of the week was that it was the only skin in my league, so i won some cash!!

Approach shot on the 10th at Hankley Common (http://www.hankley.co.uk/hole_10). It's the SI 1 hole for a reason - you either take the trees on, which risks losing your ball in the deep rough right or leaving no shot from beneath the trees or play left leaving 200+ yards in. I went over the trees and just failed to get out of the rough. Ball was lying quite nicely so hit an 8 iron from 170 odd, thinking that it'd land on the green and release with no spin. It came out beautifully, never left the flag and rolled up to six inches for birdie. 

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1474165?hole_id=30262872

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

• 2 weeks later...

It's been awhile!!   This is a short par5 that plays to about 500yds.   A large ravine and forced carry protects short of the green to keep aggressive golfers honest. Laying up short of the ravine leaves a 90-100yd 3rd shot approach.  

The wind was IN and from the right and the tee shot missed the fairway in the left rough.  (jumper lie=perfect) I lasered 238yds to a middle pin.  I had 223 to the front and only a 215 carry over the ravine.   I was playing well and felt like attacking.....  Honestly....the plan was to just get somewhere around the green and make a chip and a putt....    In spite of the hurting crosswind, I made a point to swing nice, smooth, and easy, and nutted a 3-wood perfectly from a tee'd-up lie.....  I hit it hole high.....10' from the pin.  As luck would have it.....the putt dropped.   My first Eagle of 2017 is in the books!   Oh yea!!   :beer:

• Upvote 1

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Tee shot on #15 at Northdale. 170 yard par three. Water on right, trees on left about 70 yards up make it a tight chute to get ball through. Pin on left front by bunker. Played a smooth 3h, put it to about 7 feet from pin. Great tee shot for me, birdie opportunity but unfortunately I was on a big slope left to right. Missed birdie putt, made par

Edited by Gator Hazard
  • Upvote 1

On 4/25/2017 at 9:13 PM, BuckeyeNut said:

It's been awhile!!   This is a short par5 that plays to about 500yds.   A large ravine and forced carry protects short of the green to keep aggressive golfers honest. Laying up short of the ravine leaves a 90-100yd 3rd shot approach.  

The wind was IN and from the right and the tee shot missed the fairway in the left rough.  (jumper lie=perfect) I lasered 238yds to a middle pin.  I had 223 to the front and only a 215 carry over the ravine.   I was playing well and felt like attacking.....  Honestly....the plan was to just get somewhere around the green and make a chip and a putt....    In spite of the hurting crosswind, I made a point to swing nice, smooth, and easy, and nutted a 3-wood perfectly from a tee'd-up lie.....  I hit it hole high.....10' from the pin.  As luck would have it.....the putt dropped.   My first Eagle of 2017 is in the books!   Oh yea!!   :beer:

What is a "tee'd-up lie"?

Hole 4 - 60* from fluffy rough over the back - The last place I wanted to be, but my approach just fired off the green (210 yards with a 7 iron shows how hard the bounce off the green was!). Ball was sitting up a bit in the rough, but I picked a landing point, had four or five practice swings and then hit it perfectly, carrying about 15 yards (green was 6 feet above me) then rolling out about 30 feet to a kick-in birdie. 

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Yesterday a firsttime ever sandy birdie out the greenside bunker of a par 3. 

Golden sandy birdie on the golfcareer cv. :banana::dance:

12 minutes ago, MacDutch said:

Yesterday a firsttime ever sandy birdie out the greenside bunker of a par 3. 

Golden sandy birdie on the golfcareer cv. :banana::dance:

Congrats, MacDutch! 

Mine was a simple little PW from the fairway that I struck dead clean and it hopped, stopped at three feet. Baby steps... 

150 yard par 3. Hit the 7 iron with a nice draw to about 8 feet. Divot was 2 feet from the flag.