IGNORED

FlightScope Mevo - Portable Launch Monitor for the Everyday Golfer

mvmac
Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is very tempting... might have to wait a while given the recent driver/wedge purchases, but it's great to see something with this many features retailing for such a decent price!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Slowly talking myself into it.

At this point the only thing that's keeping me from buying it is the price. I was thinking about buying a new gap wedge for my last big expenditure of the season and this costs significantly more money. If it was up to me, I'd probably just get it, but the boss will notice the difference ;-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The major question I still have is whether there's any sort of 'normalising' feature to account for range balls? I've been to driving range bays with Protracer that have this, and that'd be a major plus for me.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Seems accurate with irons and a bit hit and miss with the driver.

I guess the real question is once you have the numbers from a swing what do you do with them? How do you fix what you are seeing?

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

19 minutes ago, mailman said:

Seems accurate with irons and a bit hit and miss with the driver.

I guess the real question is once you have the numbers from a swing what do you do with them? How do you fix what you are seeing?

Regards

Mailman

This is a gapping device. Nothing else. It gives you smash factor and whatnot but it will only tell distance and if a swing has hit the sweet spot. This alone can't solve swing flaws. You will need attack angle, swing path, dynamic loft, face to path, etc... 

That obviously comes with $6K and above launch monitors (SkyTrak being the exception). 

1 minute ago, ib0o0 said:

This is a gapping device. Nothing else. It gives you smash factor and whatnot but it will only tell distance and if a swing has hit the sweet spot. This alone can't solve swing flaws. You will need attack angle, swing path, dynamic loft, face to path, etc... 

That obviously comes with $6K and above launch monitors (SkyTrak being the exception). 

The launch angle is interesting for me as well, but agreed on everything else.

I might do this this year rather than my annual golf membership considering we're having our first child soon. I already have a setup in the garage to hit off of a mat into a net. Would be great for winter too. 

I like that it's made by a reputable company with similar products in the $XX,XXX range.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

2 hours ago, ib0o0 said:

Agreed. Like I said, I am using it more for my son.  His swing is real solid and with how fast kids grow, knowing how far he is hitting his irons is helpful.  Also, those pitch shots that are 30-55 yards are so common.  This helps a ton with that.  Using it for that is fantastic.

3 hours ago, ib0o0 said:

I think of it as a complementary device. I have an instructor to tell me what to work on and look for, a high speed camera to see if I am doing what my pro says, a device that accurately tells me distance and some other helpful numbers gives me even more info as to whether I'm on the right or wrong tack. The more realtime, accurate data you have all at once, I think that really helps.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

51 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

I think of it as a complementary device.

That's how I look at it. I don't need nor expect it to solve my swing flaws. I know, based on past experience, what my general numbers by observing the ball flight, knowing my tendencies, and drawing off previous sessions on Trackman as well as by seeing what I'm doing on video.

What I currently can't do is tell what angle I launch the ball at, what my spin rate is, my apex. That kind of information can help guide me as I'm working on things to identify flaws I'm not aware of. I have no frame of reference for how high (or low?) I hit the ball, for example. Plus being able to map out partial wedge distances would be advantageous.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

The more realtime, accurate data you have all at once, I think that really helps.

I like more feedback, too, not less.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 8/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, ib0o0 said:

Ah...then that makes sense. Although for $500 that to me seems like a really expensive way of trying to work out your gapping when maybe a $50 session on a launch monitor would be a more cost effective way of doing this?

Having said that, because its a toy, its related to golf, and I have absolutely no need for it then it goes straight to the top of my list of "Must Buys"!! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Tested the Mevo outside last night. No stickers on any balls. Just range balls.

Wow.

I was really impressed. It was over-estimating clubhead speed with the driver… at 4' behind the ball. Moving it back to 7' and the readings were right in line with what we expected.

The distances on partial wedges we checked with a laser. At first, they were off by a few yards, until we realized that the range was downhill, and if we measured where the ball was level with the tee, the yardages were almost exactly spot on.

Full review still in the works, but… I'm impressed. I can't reproduce any of the bad things I've seen in a few reviews. I wonder if the software/firmware updates have alleviated some of these.

Note: the Mevo doesn't track the full flight. I've asked FlightScope how much it tracks. The data would come out of my phone before the ball landed, though, so I know it's not the full flight.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Tested the Mevo outside last night. No stickers on any balls. Just range balls.

Wow.

I was really impressed. It was over-estimating clubhead speed with the driver… at 4' behind the ball. Moving it back to 7' and the readings were right in line with what we expected.

The distances on partial wedges we checked with a laser. At first, they were off by a few yards, until we realized that the range was downhill, and if we measured where the ball was level with the tee, the yardages were almost exactly spot on.

Full review still in the works, but… I'm impressed. I can't reproduce any of the bad things I've seen in a few reviews. I wonder if the software/firmware updates have alleviated some of these.

Note: the Mevo doesn't track the full flight. I've asked FlightScope how much it tracks. The data would come out of my phone before the ball landed, though, so I know it's not the full flight.

That sounds really promising. Now I might to start strategizing on convincing my wife that $500 on this is worth it ...

• Like 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

I’m likely going to be a reseller if I believe in the platform enough so if you can wait until they set that up you can get it from me.

Plus Newport Cup attendees can see a logo on https://thesandtrap.com/newport-cup/2017/… we may have one at the event. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And I just bought a Voice Caddie SC200 a year ago:doh:. The Foresight Mevo does more (spin and vertical launch), espcially if you can hit it into a net or on an empty course with a Snell MTB and the silver dot. Good price point.

I find these affordable LM's great fun, teaching you the importance of hitting in the sweetspot (smash factor), helps with swingspeed (why am I so inconsistent?), and if you have a couple of shafts you are testing in that driver, it will give you valuable info, and if you use footpowder spray on the driver face, you can see contact and compare it to the LM numbers.

If you are a range rat, fun. I will take a look at the Foresight.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 1479 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!