IGNORED

Is it a bad idea to occasionally try practice-swinging out of my shoes?

RandallT
Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not sure where to post this, or if this is even a dumb question.

I'm pretty focused on getting my form right (see daily practice thread and my swing thread) and I'm finally getting back into a modest exercise and stretching routine. It occurred to me, that all of what I've ever done with golf has been fairly controlled. In fact my next assignment is very clear: go AS SLOW AS NECESSARY to get the one piece I've been working on. Just DO IT! Speed is not a factor, but I need to get this piece on the range and on video- and dribble the ball off the tee if necessary, and then add speed.

So my  question:

Independent of my swing form lessons on specific pieces, how bad would it be if I also just 5 or 10 minutes to just swing the hell out of my driver? Amp it up to 11, and try to get that swoosh nice and loud and right after the ball. With no care in the world to form. The point being to get used to that feeling and perhaps exercise those fast twitch muscles.

Or is it best to continue polishing the swing, and add in speed over time? I can see both ways: pursue speed and form independently VS. get the form down so that no bad habits interfere from the speed swings.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have to admit, my first thought was "are you out of your freaking mind?!".  :-O

Then I thought about it, and I have to admit, it's an interesting question, and I'm looking forward to hearing what the instructional brain trust has to say.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Independent of my swing form lessons on specific pieces, how bad would it be if I also just 5 or 10 minutes to just swing the hell out of my driver? Amp it up to 11, and try to get that swoosh nice and loud and right after the ball. With no care in the world to form.

That's your "speed training" right there! :-D

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

The point being to get used to that feeling and perhaps exercise those fast twitch muscles.

I do this for this exact reason, a speed training stick just doesn't really cut it if you're not actually aiming to hit a ball. I do that as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think as your swing and form improves by doing the slow work, your swing will develop a pattern that allows you to swing hard or easy and still maintain the right form. There are times when you can benefit by hitting a huge drive and carrying a hazard or bunker. If your swing is good, it should still hold pretty true when you swing harder. I wouldn't recommend it every swing, but a few times a round.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

7 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I have to admit, my first thought was "are you out of your freaking mind?!".  :-O

Then I thought about it, and I have to admit, it's an interesting question, and I'm looking forward to hearing what the instructional brain trust has to say. 

Same here, but it's fun to do it sometimes. The keyword is "sometimes".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• RandallT changed the title to Is it a bad idea to occasionally try practice-swinging out of my shoes?
10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

my first thought was "are you out of your freaking mind?!".  :-O

Exactly- I was hesitant to post. Then I remembered that when I got fitted for driver (twice), the fitter jotted a note on his profile of me. Swing type: "soft and easy" or something like that.  I'll show him next time!!! No more soft and easy! :-D 

4 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I wouldn't recommend it every swing, but a few times a round.

Just to be clear- I'm only talking about a speed-training sorta thing. Not on course decision or anything. I just tweaked the title so it's not as vague. I think you mainly answered it as a practice thing, but then I wasn't sure with that sentence above.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

@RandallT, practice on the edge of your abilities. If you can't do something at 60mph, you won't do it at 90mph.

That being said, I never spend an entire range session working solely on slow work. Part of my practice involves hitting targets which is done at speed. I simulate on course conditions, which is basically picking a club/target, making practice swings to get the feel of my piece, and hitting the ball. I never hit the same shot twice in a row.

I would never aimlessly hit the ball though. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think its positive to occasionally practice swinging hard (or fast, whichever term fits best).  I know when I'm hitting a driver, I'm trying to HIT it, not bunt it.  By occasionally "overclocking" your swing, while still maintaining good mechanics, you'll learn a bit about your personal limits.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

was it Hank Haney who was touting this idea recently?  He did not use those words, but did say swing faster.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

2 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

learn a bit about your personal limits.

I think that explains best the thrust of the question. Strictly an exploratory thing is what I'm asking. 

6 minutes ago, billchao said:

@RandallT, practice on the edge of your abilities. If you can't do something at 60mph, you won't do it at 90mph.

Absolutely- for the "real" practice I do. I've got a piece now that I'm pretty excited to get to- doing exactly like you describe. I totally buy into that, and I feel it has been key to improving so far.

But on top of that deliberate practice, kind of on a lark but kinda to find my limits and get my muscles going differently (ie, fast!), I think @Groucho Valentine has a point, right? "Why not?" 

So while I worried it might be a dumb question because it was a stupid idea that would harm my swing, maybe it's a dumb question because "why the hell would it be a problem?" Either way- a dumb question- I just am not 100% which reason it might be dumb! :-P

My Swing

Dirty Harry.  "A man has GOT to know his limitations".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

6 minutes ago, RandallT said:

So while I worried it might be a dumb question because it was a stupid idea that would harm my swing, maybe it's a dumb question because "why the hell would it be a problem?" Either way- a dumb question- I just am not 100% which reason it might be dumb! :-P

I think swinging as hard as you possibly can, without paying attention to proper mechanics, could be detrimental.  But to push your limits while still staying within the context of your priorities, to me that has the potential to be positive.  I'd even suggest alternating swings, or drills, whatever slow motion you're working on, then a full  but controlled swing, then a "hard" swing, and back to control.  Build swing speed without losing technique.  I know you're working with evolver, this sounds like a good question to ask them the next time you get a chance.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

45 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Or is it best to continue polishing the swing, and add in speed over time? I can see both ways: pursue speed and form independently VS. get the form down so that no bad habits interfere from the speed swings.

Interesting question.  I personally like the idea of letting the speed come as you improve.  Maybe it is okay to try some good rips but just be careful not to overdo that as well for your own sake. Like trying to kill the ball with a 4 iron onto a green for your second shot on a par five for example.  Not that I would know anything about that...  :whistle:

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

1 minute ago, cipher said:

Interesting question.  I personally like the idea of letting the speed come as you improve.  Maybe it is okay to try some good rips but just be careful not to overdo that as well for your own sake. Like trying to kill the ball with a 4 iron onto a green for your second shot on a par five for example.  Not that I would know anything about that...  :whistle:

I was thinking about getting the Swing Speed Radar. This could give you a way of pushing the limits a bit at a time and see how successive swings progress and a way to instantly monitor.

"James"

7 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I was thinking about getting the Swing Speed Radar. This could give you a way of pushing the limits a bit at a time and see how successive swings progress and a way to instantly monitor.

They kind of work, and I have two of these types of units. I would just let the ball tell you rather than a bunch of intermediate numbers generated by a speed radar. The reason is so you don't end up doing something bad like coming OTT or flipping your wrists or whatever just to see higher numbers on a radar.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

@RandallT, I will offer my personal experience. Get a driver from a used place with a shaft that is 10 gms lighter or 20 gms lighter (Heavier is actually not much help for 'fast' side of things). Use it to do what you said. It is absolutely a good exercise. Focus on fast rotating barrel (chest, arms and hands) with 'light' feet, not letting your head bob all over the place. Keep the curtains drawn.. lol! 

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!