IGNORED

2017 Masters Tournament

iacas
Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

18 is an uphill tee shot.

Elevation at the the tee is about 250 feet, in the fairway about 280, and at the green about 300.

I thought I remembered a pretty dramatic drop from the tournament tees to the beginning of the fairway, and then of course dramatically uphill to green.  It's been several years, so I may very well be wrong...

I still imagine that the flags are to signal between the tee and the fairway.  Perhaps at the bend...?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

I thought I remembered a pretty dramatic drop from the tournament tees to the beginning of the fairway, and then of course dramatically uphill to green.  It's been several years, so I may very well be wrong...

You may be thinking of #9...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Just now, NCGolfer said:

Could be.  I need to get back there again.  It's obviously been way too long!

In David's bag....

8 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Could be.  I need to get back there again.  It's obviously been way too long!

No. 18 starts downhill and then goes up dramatically. Or as you put it, right past the end of the tee, it drops significantly and then rises dramatically.

Edited by jsgolfer
  • Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

No. 18 starts downhill and then goes up dramatically. Or as you put it, right past the end of the tee, it drops significantly and then rises dramatically.

Ok.  At least I haven't completely lost my mind. ;-) 

Probably not as dramatically downhill initially as I was remembering though.  Thanks.

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Ok.  At least I haven't completely lost my mind. ;-) 

Probably not as dramatically downhill initially as I was remembering though.  Thanks.

No you were right, its pretty dramatic. At least that's the way I saw it too.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

1 hour ago, iacas said:

That's not an easy shot. It's a downhill lie with a wedge… you're likely to chunk it, catch it high on the face, or put a bit more spin on it than normal. None of which help your touch to a relatively small target.

I said "relatively" easy :-P. For us, that's a tough shot. For him, it's not simple, but it shouldn't be one he chunks into the water. Considering the lake is the one spot, with that pin, that brings double into play.

EDIT: I forgot he didn't chunk it directly in the water (hit the green and spun back off the green), but it was still a bad shot. Not what I was expecting there, even if a birdie was unlikely.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

6 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I said "relatively" easy :-P. For us, that's a tough shot. For him, it's not simple, but it shouldn't be one he chunks into the water. Considering the lake is the one spot, with that pin, that brings double into play.

Or 9.  :whistle:

-Jerry

1 minute ago, jsgolfer said:

Or 9.  :whistle:

With only 1 penalty stroke.  He actually hit the damn ball 8 times! ;-) 

In David's bag....

You guys make making a 9 seem way more difficult than it really is...

This stat from today's round is crazy:

Edited by DeadMan
  • Upvote 3

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

5 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

15 is eating everyone's lunch today

Funny thing is they said 15 historically plays as the easiest hole, which kinda surprised me with how narrow the green is and how awkward the the 3rd shot plays. I thought it'd be 13.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

Might be nuts but i always thought that 9 was much more downhill from the tee to the landing area and then severely uphill from there.  18 was much more flat and then uphill.  There might be a little downhill just off the tee on 18 but I'd bet a ton of money that from tee to landing area that 9 is much more downhill.

On 18 when they show tee balls landing short of the bunker looking back at the tee it looks like it's back downhill to the tee.

EDIT:  I'm not crazy.  Read the descriptions of 18 and 9.  Zach Johnson describing 18:

The tee shot is slightly uphill. The second shot is 6-7 percent uphill

Describing 9:

The second shot is on a severe downhill lie hitting severely uphill

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

2 hours ago, mvmac said:

Funny thing is they said 15 historically plays as the easiest hole, which kinda surprised me with how narrow the green is and how awkward the the 3rd shot plays. I thought it'd be 13.

Unless it's windy there are a lot of eagle putts and chips on 13. A lot of second shots that go over the back of 13 lead to 2 putt pars.

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

7 hours ago, mvmac said:

There were a lot of wet second shots yesterday.

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Unless it's windy there are a lot of eagle putts and chips on 13. A lot of second shots that go over the back of 13 lead to 2 putt pars.

The wind or underestimation of the wind put a lot of balls in the creek yesterday. Most I saw ended up with par anyway.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

There were a lot of wet second shots yesterday.

The wind or underestimation of the wind put a lot of balls in the creek yesterday. Most I saw ended up with par anyway.

Yeah didn't Chucky get upndown for par there yesterday?

Colin P.

Just now, colin007 said:

Yeah didn't Chucky get upndown for par there yesterday?

Sergio, Rahm and a few others too. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was at the Masters for a practice round two years ago and I was actually surprised how tight that tee shot on 18 is through the chute of trees. It looks tight on TV but it looks much tighter in person. Another thing that surprised me was how easy the 12th looks. During the practice round it only played about 135 yards. I realize the winds make it tough but the day I was there, the wind was non-existent and the players hit it close all day. The 10th hole looked much tougher than I thought. The course in general was much tighter than I thought. I had always heard that you could hit all over the place but that didn't look like the case from where I was standing.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!