IGNORED

Who Here Uses a Staff Bag?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Who uses a staff bag and what are pros and cons between it a cart bag. I need to replace my cart bag and was kicking around a staff bag as my next one. My cart bag already slops over on the back of a cart and is heavy (I keep way too much stuff in it), but fine on my push cart.I was curious a few days ago about the topic, and seeing @1badbadger 's bag in the witb thread reminded me of it.

Please weigh in!

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a mini staff bag (Callaway BB). I like how sturdy they are and the pockets are great. I also like the top as it seems to keep my clubs from binding. And most importantly I just like the looks. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

If you use a push cart regularly and the course(s) is/are hilly (are there any flat courses in NH?) then the extra weight might be a negative.  Do they make lightweight Staff bags? Something other than leather but the same rough dimensions/volume.

Brian Kuehn

I use to but the extra weight had some restrictions.  At the range was nice, push cart no, carry no.  Cart was good.  Re-gifted.

I have in the past but not for a long time.  The real issue for me is the location of the pockets.  Cart bags are designed so that all pockets are easily accessible while the bag is strapped to the cart.  Staff bags are not. 

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Staff bags usually last longer, they will not fade like fabrics, they are larger and bulky.
Difficult to transport multiple bags in most autos trunks.
They look great, and I like the larger openings for clubs.

Cart bags are built for convenience and accessibility.
Easy to store accessories with access when on a golf cart.

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Most guys will find a cart bag more practical.  As some of the others have mentioned, all the pockets are accessible when a cart bag is strapped to a cart, plus several different types of organizer tops are available:

pisa-cart-zztop.jpg.f2b098b16bb0a8abc54690cc5259bcc6.jpg

Cart bags are usually less expensive also.

Having said that, I have never had one and probably never will.  I have always liked staff bags and have had 6 of them over the years.  It's just personal preference really...I like the way they look and since I always ride when I play the weight isn't an issue.  I often take more than 14 clubs with me because in the past I have done a lot of club testing for work, and a staff bag provides enough room to take extra clubs:

58c968c4e0195_staffbag.jpg.6c7025cbfcf9f7b5c4a4f06c96969b30.jpg

I prefer the full size staff bags because I also carry a lot of gear with me.  I always have my rain suit, an extra wind shirt, and a bunch of 2-ball packs to give away when I'm at the course, so the bigger pockets work well with that, but the mini staff bags will strap to carts easier. Some carts are a tight fit with full size staff bags.  

• Upvote 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

• Administrator

I have  staff bag. I almost never use it. Heck, I use the PING Hoofer we got at the Newport Cup two years ago for almost everything.

I'd get a cart bag.

The only reason I have the staff bag is more for "show" than anything.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

I have in the past but not for a long time.  The real issue for me is the location of the pockets.  Cart bags are designed so that all pockets are easily accessible while the bag is strapped to the cart.  Staff bags are not. 

That is a good point for not using one.

4 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Who uses a staff bag and what are pros and cons between it a cart bag. I need to replace my cart bag and was kicking around a staff bag as my next one. My cart bag already slops over on the back of a cart and is heavy (I keep way too much stuff in it), but fine on my push cart.I was curious a few days ago about the topic, and seeing @1badbadger 's bag in the witb thread reminded me of it.

Please weigh in!

Ive used an r7 staff bag for the last 4 years,only just changed it for an r11 one,it fits my motocaddy lite very well and has more than enough pockets for waterproofs and odds n sods,main reason i bought over a cart bag was the looks,just looks better imo.

• Upvote 1

I use a Puma staff bag, great bag clubs don't jam up when taking then out , and heaps off room for all accessories and balls etc.DSCF7291.thumb.JPG.937f630760cf78a1b617afc52a936b90.JPG

• Upvote 1

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

I have a beautiful Ron Miller pro staff bag that I have lettered with my name and Mizuno logos.  But truth be known, bags like mine were designed to be advertisements carried by a (strong) caddie. It is seldom used...Weight, size and less accessible pockets as others have said when on the cart.

I have two cart bags and the favorite is the Datrek 14 divider system. If I were you, I would get a bag that will serve pull-cart and motorized golf cart. Remember though, I'm sure no expert. -Marv

• Upvote 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 3/15/2017 at 7:06 PM, Valleygolfer said:

Please weigh in!

I use the carry bag as i feel comfortable with it . Why shouldn't you try ?

I have a staff bag, but I never use it. It sits in my apartment and holds old clubs. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I have a staff bag, but I never use it. It sits in my apartment and holds old clubs. 

I wouldn't mind one for that actually

1 hour ago, annalevis said:

I use the carry bag as i feel comfortable with it . Why shouldn't you try ?

Try to use a carry bag? If that is your question, I already own one and know they do not sit well on most push carts. I will only use it for travel.

I was a hole marshall for the 2013 Senior PGA at Bellerive CC here in St. Louis. Got to see plenty of the pros bags up close.

Half the pros used midweight stand bags rather than larger staff bags for the rounds. (They all had caddies.)  

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

On 3/15/2017 at 11:41 AM, iacas said:

The only reason I have the staff bag is more for "show" than anything.

I'd say this is the reason some, not all, people have one. At least in the circle of people I am around. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

I was a hole marshall for the 2013 Senior PGA at Bellerive CC here in St. Louis. Got to see plenty of the pros bags up close.

Half the pros used midweight stand bags rather than larger staff bags for the rounds. (They all had caddies.)  

At the PGA and Senior PGA, there are about 35-40 club pros in the field who don't have regular caddies, so a lot of times they use family or friends to loop for them, so I can see them going with a smaller, lighter bag.  I caddied one time in the Pro-Am at Colonial...it was a whip.  Thank God we got rained out after 5 holes!

Bellreive is pretty stout.  Have you played it Tiger?

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2584 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!