IGNORED

Over 60 and Back to the Game

Note: This thread is 2606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I haven't carried a handicap in ten years, and haven't picked up a stick in five, but, assuming some back issues don't flare up, this is the year to get back to the game.  What I'm looking for from you guys is pointers, tips, advice for somebody in that position.  When I played a fair amount, keeping an honest score I could shoot in the 80s (high), but really I was a bogey golfer.  Back then I was a lesson junkie and benefited from all the help.

There are some pretty obvious things--play from the right tees, shorten the backswing and accept a loss of distance from age, spend lots of time on my short game, etc.  For a New Year's resolution I started going to a gym, which has been a very good thing (pr'ly why I'm getting back into golf) and the trainer really emphasized low impact cardio and reps as important to the, ahem, mature guy working out.  I don't want to this into a geezer health bittch (I hear too many of those to inflict one on anybody), but anything along those lines would be really helpful.

Thanks.  And if anybody has any ideas about what I should do with my bracket after Vanderbilt, SMU and Princeton let me down yesterday and the Cavs failed to show up against Florida tonight, I'm all ears . . . Duke's still in the hunt, of course.

Kind of like you, I was once a very active golfer. Then for whatever reason, I just played occasionally.  In Spring 2016, I decided to again take it up...At age 70. My only suggestions are: core exercises and stretching exercises; lessons from a pro who actually works with Seniors; get fitted for equipment suitable to your swing; and practice and play as much as you can.  -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I can only second what Marv said above.  I am sort of like you.  I played daily back in the mid 1980's while in the Army.  Shoulder dislocation and came back to quick.  Developed a wicked slice that I couldn't cure.

Quit the game for 23yrs.  I had to pick it back up when I was asked by a customer to go play.  Since we were trying to renew the contract I agreed.  Discovered the game again.  Stopped again for 2yrs and retired.  2 other guys here at the airpark invited me to play so I went.  Found I really love the game and have been playing since.

Like Marv, find an instructor who specializes in Seniors, get you clubs fitted for the "new" you.  Believe me you swing has changed.  But the biggest thing you can do is ENJOY playing again.  Have fun, try not to take the game too serious.  Chances are you will never hit the ball 350yds off the tee again.  Improve as you can and move up in your tee box selection and don't get discourage.  Remember that this is a game we are playing for enjoyment.

Gene, Retired Army, photography, aviation and golf enthusiast

Trenton, SC

Adams aOS12 set.

Gordon Lakes GC home course

@DwightC welcome back to the journey.   I think you'll find it fun, envigorating, and satisfying practicing and playing within your current physical and skill limitations as you work to improve on both again.  Working with a competint golf instructor is a great start to help insure the back issues don't flare if caused by swing mechanics.  Glad to see the comment about the gym work, and keep in mind doctors advice.  

After a forced lay off from the game, I made it back to respectability. I don't have the game I once had, but still above average I think. 

My major thought is keeping my legs in good shape. It's my opinion that everything good in the golf swing starts with one's legs. 

After keeping my legs healthy, it's lots of quality practice, and then being able to play as much as I want. 

I am at a point now, where keeping the game I now have, is more important than trying to get to some unobtainable number. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Welcome back!

If you're looking for good threads, here are a few that are possibilities:

Good place to commiserate with others who play around bogey golf. Lots of ideas on how to trim some strokes.

About practice, there's all kinds of good stuff out there. Mostly it's around staying very focused on one thing at a time- fix that and move on. And doing a little bit every day is better than doing a super-long session one day. 

And tons of content on what to work on here:

The key is figuring out which area you are weakest in, and working on that thing. An idea to help is if you get the time to do a "my swing" thread:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Folks around here can help figure out which is your weakest area, if you don't have an instructor. Then you can find stuff to fix that area, submit follow up videos to see what folks think, and move on to the next. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

My advice is to pay attention to what your body is telling you.   Soreness is not something to be ignored.   Don't try to tough it out and wind up with a long term physical problem.   I'm 63, and I do not ever play or practice (full swings) 2 days in a row.   I value this game so much, I don't want to ever wind up with a chronic injury that makes me give it up.  

I used to go to the range and pound my driver endlessly.  I don't do that any more.   If I have a large bucket of balls, I might hit my driver 6 or 8 times at most.   Also, I take time between swings.   That lets my muscles recover.   I spend a lot more time on the range thinking instead of hitting. 

I just think that when you get over 60, you need to be careful how much you practice, because you will tend to hit a lot more full shots in practice than you will in an actual round of golf, and you can wear out your lower back.   When you play 18 holes, how many times do you really swing hard?   14 times?   Everything else is accuracy.  

• Upvote 1

I'll echo the stretching and exercising advice. Take a few lessons so you get started on the right track . Play tees appropriate for your length. 

5 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

My advice is to pay attention to what your body is telling you.   Soreness is not something to be ignored.   Don't try to tough it out and wind up with a long term physical problem.   I'm 63, and I do not ever play or practice (full swings) 2 days in a row.   I value this game so much, I don't want to ever wind up with a chronic injury that makes me give it up.  

I feel the same way. I'm still very strong, but if I play two days in a row I'm very sore and my knees and lower back hurt.

8 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

I feel the same way. I'm still very strong, but if I play two days in a row I'm very sore and my knees and lower back hurt.

I'll echo this.   I practiced Friday, Saturday and Sunday and by Monday I had trouble with my back.  I'm fine after a day of inactivity but I'll remember to tone it down or do more exercises to strengthen the back muscles. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

10 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I'll echo this.   I practiced Friday, Saturday and Sunday and by Monday I had trouble with my back.  I'm fine after a day of inactivity but I'll remember to tone it down or do more exercises to strengthen the back muscles. 

I'm 57. I do a lot of core work exercises. It is probably 50% of the workouts. It really helps.

For me, it is my wrists and knees that need a break. I have arthritis in my knees and I have to ice them after everything including walking 9 or 18. I manage them pretty well. My wrists can get sore if I hit off mats, so I ice them too and do some strength work and stretching daily if possible.

Still, I don't really walk 18 two days in a row, especially in the summer. It takes a lot out of me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Guys--

Thanks for the feedback and the suggestions.  The list of threads was a good start to resuming on this website (if I can restrain myself from pontificating about Costco golfballs), and, seriously, that post about conscious/unconscious competence/incompetence was really, really helpful (you need a strategy and sense of timing in taking lessons, as well as in practice and on the course).

And, all the comments on conditioning, yeah, I think my first step in all this is to meet with the trainer about tweaking my cardio-focused gym routine to refocus a little on core body and flexibility issues.

Everything else--lessons and new gear, I'll take one step at a time.  Demo days always were fun.  Lessons, I was always a lessons junkie.

Anyhow, thanks and keep the comments coming!

I'll turn 60 this year, I play or practice almost every day, and I am not experiencing any injuries.  I'm actually now hitting the golf ball further than I ever have.

I stretch for about 20 minutes every morning.  I do light weights alternating that with the Joey D workout about 3 times a week between the two.  I walk about 25 - 30 miles a week (I walk when I golf).  I mostly use a rowing machine for cardio.

I've been able to manage my weight I'm 5'11 and 150lbs.  I have lost strength compared to 20 years ago, but am maintaining my current level of strength.

I give my stretching the number 1 priority of my day, I haven't missed a day in the last couple of years.

There are a lot of books on golf fitness.  Here is the one I use.  It involves flexibility, stretching, balance and strength exercises.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Body-Swing-Revolutionary-ebook/dp/B005HXZNHA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1490199082&sr=8-13&keywords=Golf+fitness

Edited by No Mulligans
  • Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!