IGNORED

Need a 54 degree wedge, any suggestions?

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My pro, in trying to teach me the short game, insisted that I acquire a 54. I have a 60, then PW so I have been operating in denial on this for a while - haha. I don't want to break the bank. Was looking online at a couple Tour Edge models that looked good. Went to the local supershop today and they had only a few wedges in my price range, and none at 54. Plenty of $140 big name brand models. But, I feel unusually tight-wad-like on this. Any suggestions? I did the math and this will be my 14th club in my bag...that's a relief...for my wallet.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

You definitely need a 54 to fill the large gap between your 60 and PW (probably about 48*). You likely know that you can get a quality used one online for a fraction of the cost, that's the route I would probably take. I'd also recommend Titleist or Cleveland, I have one of each and they are both great (also, bought both second hand for very little $ compared to new).

• Upvote 1

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a Tour Edge CB pro that I picked last year. It has really helped me.

• Upvote 1

DRIVER- Tour Edge EXS 220
3W- Adams Tight Lies 2
Hybrids- Cobra F8 19 *

Utility- Sub 70 699U #4
Irons - Sub 70 739 5-PW
Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54, 58
Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft #11

Ball- Titleist DT Trufeel

Ping glide wedges are very nice. You can probably get the first version for pretty reasonable now that the 2.0 has been out for a while.

Good call on getting last year's model wedge.  Glides are nice, I didn't get along with mine but that's just me.  Plenty of good press on them.  Personally I like the Callaway wedges. Classic shape designed by Roger Cleveland and plenty of spin.  U could probably find the cally tour grind wedges cheap.

I'm contemplating a 54 myself.  My gap wedge is 50 and then I have the Callaway pm grind wedges at 56, 60 and 64.  I might end up bending to 54, 58 and 64.

I'm in love with the Mizuno wedges. They even come in blue if you're into that sorta thing

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9.0 Aldila Rogue Silver X-Stiff I Taylormade M2 3 wood Fujikara 661 Speeder X-Stiff I Callaway Apex 3 Iron UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F5 X-Stiff I Mizuno MP-59 4-PW Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff I Mizuno Wedges (Blue) 52_56_60 Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex I Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0 USA Edition I Taylormade Tour Preferred 

12 hours ago, Jakester23 said:

Ping glide wedges are very nice. You can probably get the first version for pretty reasonable now that the 2.0 has been out for a while.

+1 on the v1 Glides.  I had some vokeys before I moved to Glides and have found them to be really consistent.  I'm thinking of replacing them as I've had them a while and might even buy another set of v1s instead of the v2s.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

15 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

You definitely need a 54 to fill the large gap between your 60 and PW (probably about 48*). You likely know that you can get a quality used one online for a fraction of the cost, that's the route I would probably take. I'd also recommend Titleist or Cleveland, I have one of each and they are both great (also, bought both second hand for very little $ compared to new).

Have you or anyone that has bought used wedges noticed any affect with regards to spin or control due to them being used? Or would a groove sharpener take care of that? Or am I overthinking the impact that the grooves would have for consistency and spin? I have no problem buying used clubs, my driver and 3 wood are preowned and I got great deals on them, but I've always been hesitant for wedges since I thought that the groove depth and cut was important for stopping ability/spin. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Wow, I have TWO wedges between my LW and my PW.  You certainly do need at least one.

I have a 56 and a 60 Mizuno JPX for sale....I'll see if I can find the link in the marketplace forum.

But you can get some nice wedges used.  Play it again, etc.  2nd Swing.  But careful with wedges, makes sure they are 'like new' condition or the sort.  Seems like wedges are the worst for used one with the grooves nearly worn away.

I found my Mack Daddy 2's at a local course.  Since they were a couple years older models, I negotiated a great price for brand new wedges.  You can do that too.  Clearance bins are the best way to get 'new' condition clubs IMHO.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

19 hours ago, Rip62 said:

I have a Tour Edge CB pro that I picked last year.

RockbottomGolf has this in 54°/14 for $90, and the TE Rally in 54°/13 for $70.

If you can find one, Nike Engage wedges (various sole grinds) go for about $70.

An Adams New Idea 54° costs about $50.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

There's nothing wrong with a beat up wedge, plenty of good ones on eBay cheap, as long as the grooves are good the club is just fine and it takes a lot to hurt the grooves on a wedge, people with money don't like to see scratches so they sell them quick for a shiny new one, total waste IMO.

Also you should ask your Pro about bounce, if your 60 is low you may want a high bounce 54, lots of bounce works well in fluffy sand and deep rough.

Edited by MrDC

I will echo what @MrDC mentioned about bounce...there are many 54* wedges out there, and the amount of bounce will vary. Talk to your pro about the main job this wedge will be used for, and ask him for a recommendation for bounce.  For example, if you happen to get a low bounce wedge and it's to be used for bunker shots in fluffy sand, you'll struggle.  The bounce/sole grind will make a big difference in how your wedge performs in its role in your bag.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I'm a big believer in wedges, and at the same time I do understand than golf clubs can be budget busters. I'd watch ebay. I'm guessing you will find more lightly used wedges (with not too badly worn grooves) there than on most store used racks since that is a good place for new club tinkerers to dump failed tries. 

IMHO you really need the granularity more on the short end of the bag than on the long end, and a single gap wedge between the PW and 60 LW isn't overkill by any stretch.  Don't cheap out too much. 

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

On 4/25/2017 at 2:57 PM, HitAndGiggle said:

My pro, in trying to teach me the short game, insisted that I acquire a 54. I have a 60, then PW so I have been operating in denial on this for a while - haha. I don't want to break the bank. Was looking online at a couple Tour Edge models that looked good. Went to the local supershop today and they had only a few wedges in my price range, and none at 54. Plenty of $140 big name brand models. But, I feel unusually tight-wad-like on this. Any suggestions? I did the math and this will be my 14th club in my bag...that's a relief...for my wallet.

Maybe look out for a lightly used SM5 or something.  Might cost $75.

Also, one of my buddies has a couple of the newer Top Flite Tour wedges.  They're actually pretty nice, and only $40 I think.

I have a Harry Taylor 54* (along with a 58*) out for delivery as we speak. They look like really nice wedges and are currently inexpensive. 

https://www.harrytaylorgolf.com/collections/series-305-wedges/products/ht-series-305-wedge-satin-finish

Thanks for the advice, everybody. 

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

There was a huge golf expo out at our local focal - Haggin Oaks, this weekend. I found on clearance a club I really like the look and feel of. It's probably last years Ping Tour S 54/12. Really what I was looking for. $60. May not have been a steal but I'll be able to rob my buddies with this one.

Note: This thread is 2524 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!