IGNORED

When it's time to call it a career

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Interesting article about Charlie Wi who last year decided to retire after being a tour pro for a couple decades and earning almost $10 million on the PGA Tour.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/charlie-wi-when-its-time-to-call-it-a-career-in-pro-golf

A routine four-footer did it, the kind of putt Charlie Wi had sized up thousands of times and regularly converted without much fuss in his 20-plus years in professional golf. But he missed it this time, and as the ball broke away from the hole, something broke inside him.

“That did it for me,” he said, recalling the exact moment when he discovered he had no more appetite for tournament golf. “I can’t explain it. I just had had it. And I knew it.”

“You’re only one swing away from either starting to play good or starting to play bad,” Bill Haas once told me.

Wi would concur. “People don’t know this, but you’re always constantly under stress,” he said. “You’re stressed when you’re not playing well. And when you’re playing well, you’re stressed that you have to keep playing well. It’s unrelenting.”

Read more  

• Upvote 3

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems like a huge thing for professional athletes is being able to make the decision to retire themselves and not have an injury or performance rating make that decision for them. I could never pretend to understand the stress levels that come with always having to be at the top of your game constantly just to have a chance to be at the top. Even though it is a game, it is their job and there is more to life than work. Money is not an issue, so I do not blame him at all.

• Upvote 1

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

It's called retirement.   I'm enjoying mine.  Then again, I'm not a professional golfer or athlete but there comes a time when you say, "it's time".

Edited by dennyjones
  • Upvote 2

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Sounds like he retired for all the right reasons. I wish him well. 

I know the day I retired, I just woke up that morning, got dressed, and was eating breakfast with my wife. During our breakfast, I just decided I no longer wanted to work 60 hours a week. My wife said "no problem". 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

16 hours ago, mvmac said:

Interesting article about Charlie Wi who last year decided to retire after being a tour pro for a couple decades and earning almost $10 million on the PGA Tour.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/charlie-wi-when-its-time-to-call-it-a-career-in-pro-golf

I guess he came out of retirement for this tournament. T3

http://www.pgatour.com/leaderboard.html

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I guess he came out of retirement for this tournament. T3

It would be ironic that after he made his peace with golf/retiring that he comes back for one event, wins it and gets a 2 year exemption lol

Mike McLoughlin

15 hours ago, mvmac said:

It would be ironic that after he made his peace with golf/retiring that he comes back for one event, wins it and gets a 2 year exemption lol

Still T3 today!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

When I retire, I plan to play a lot more golf.  What does Charlie Wi plan to do in retirement? ;-)

Oh, I actually live not too far from the Charlie Wi academy.  I don't think I meet his definition of youngster though. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On 4/28/2017 at 4:06 PM, mvmac said:

There would be a really appealing symmetry to that. Wi might be pulling his hair out though haha.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

He could take a lesson from Sam Snead, who battled the yips for years and still found a way to stay out there.

I think the point of the article was that he lost the desire to be out there. Almost like he missed that 4 ft putt "on purpose" so he could be done.

Mike McLoughlin

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

So when pro golfers retire, do they go get a job?

Some do.

Some live off their pensions.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

So when pro golfers retire, do they go get a job?

A lot of them teach or stay involved somehow. Some enjoy retirement and some pick up other hobbies or jobs out of golf.

Trollin' is the life

after reading the article, i think it shows the difference in being someone who is just grinding away for years on tour, and someone who is constantly in the top 50 or 25 on the money list..   

Plus the stress of having to play good day in and day out....   which i have always figured the guys who are out there grinding are always playing stressed out, vs the guys who are established ( sponsors and wins ) and do not have to worry about if they are going to have a paycheck at the end of the week.  

It is what it is

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Basically a "self pension" from investing their winnings.

No. They get a pension.

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/news/yeartodate/news01/pensions.html

According to tour projections obtained by Golfweek, a 26-year-old player who begins his career in 2001 and plays 17 seasons could stockpile an account of nearly $43 million, just by averaging 75th on the money list. He could reach that amount without ever winning. 

For better players, the future gets even brighter.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/golden-retirements-pga-tour-pros-get-a-gift-that-keeps-giving

etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!