IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge May 2017

Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Welcome to the "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge for May, 2017! The rules are the same as always:

• Make a detailed post describing your practice every day during the month. Try to limit the number of very short or "ditto" type posts. Describe what you did for at least five minutes of practice (indoors or out, with or without golf balls, etc.).
  • No back-dating or pre-dating posts or practice sessions.
  • On the last day of the month, if you completed the challenge, post about it in red text so I can notice it and give you the award.

Enjoy and practice hard!

Note: you can miss one day per monthly challenge if you have a good reason and still be eligible for the monthly award.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5/01 - kettle bell swings for balanced weight shift (forward) with focus on "steady head" and centered hip turn. Will try to post swing progression in MySwing thread...I think it's improving

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

5/1/17:

Some 7-irons in the backyard this morning. Focusing on keeping my left wrist flat, and the last three fingers of my left hand firm.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

1/5/17 - Started this month off with a good range session, focusing on my key pieces of not flaring my left arm in takeaway and trying to avoid my left knee dropping too deep to limit my hip turn. Preston has kindly written up a session plan so that we can try to change the picture at full speed; my job is now to commit to it!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

May 1 - May Day! May Day!

Mirror work at the gym. Focused on slowing transition down. I will hit the range on the way home and do some more work. I'm playing my first round tomorrow. The elbow is feeling better. The wrist is still sore, but I have wrist support to wear for that.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

20 mins at the range during lunch time. Hit 6 irons with position check at A3 to ensure palm up before every shot. Also 5 mins chipping. Will need some more for the next month or so as chipping still not remotely close to rest of the game.

Vishal S.

A holiday here today and I'm home sick, grrrr. Want to make the challenge this month so I spent 20 min research chipping drills. Looking for something I can do indoors with almost golf balls. If you have more suggestions, please let me know.

Edited by Mico
Corrected links

Finally catching the first day of a practice challenge.

I continued my work on hip turn and steady head with slow mo swings in the yard. The focus starts at A4 with the hip bump and then I really exaggerate open hips at impact without early extension. This is something that has needed to be resolved for years and I am finally going to take whatever lumps needed to get this change made.

Jacob and I practice pitches in the yard almost daily as well, so today was no different there. This is when I play with ball position, clubface manipulation, etc...on pitches since they are short. My main focus right now is hip turn, though. I will be adding in a lot stretches this month as well so get more hip flexibility...and overall flexibility.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

5/1:  Lots of work this evening...
10 mins. chipping in my shop, again; focus on a little more extension going back (shaft and butt of grip) to reduce wristiness
5 mins. wall drill w/Momentus; stops to check at A2 & A3; rest of focus on feel of centered pivot and keeping butt on wall
30 mins. pitching work in yard w/balls & wedge; focus on adding a little extension going back, and steepening things up a touch (my natural motion is pretty shallow)
20 mins. serious conditioning work w/OW & Momentus; alternated 2 sets of 20 w/OW; then 2 sets of 20 w/Momentus, for 6 total sets of each.  Whew!  That was a workout!
(Break)
20 mins. full swing work w/TourStriker iron and foam balls; focus on not breaking axis and lifting up (downward strikes), and feel of patient downswing (for lag)

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

New here, so thought I'd jump in the deep end.

This morning featured 10 mins or so working on partial shots to get consistent speeds on various length backswings for pitches and chips. I'm focused on trying to get the feeling of letting the club come up and stop before starting down on these shorter shots to keep my balance and weight forward through the transition and downswing.

While I'm at it, many thanks for all the great info you people have shared over the years. I've been reading for a long time now and am looking forward to being more engaged as a member. Every time I have had some odd ball question in my head, a search reveals that someone else has asked it before, usually with a civil and informed discussion (blades vs GI threads not withstanding :)) . Anyway, just thanks a lot, guys.

• Upvote 1

5/1: grip strengthening and posture for 10min.

And welcome, @Tecwesty!!

Edited by RandallT
Added welcome

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

5/1: Yard work this evening followed by light pitching practice and some full swings with my sand wedge for fun.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

1st May:- 10 mins full swing practice after work. My aim for this month is to further integrate the correct movements in my backswing that I was working on last month. No leg movement until A2, then a centred hip and shoulder turn to A4.

Chris.:roll:

Practiced ensuring better posture at address and open palm at A3 early morning before kids up..

Warning: This will be a very redundant post. Although I am finding my focus and commitment are cyclic. 

Heck, if I can keep up, I might even apply for the stupid monkey badge.

Vishal S.

May 2 - Playing 18 today for the first time this year. I'm a bit nervous that my bicep and wrist won't hold up.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2nd May - 5 minutes of mirror work focusing on lower body stability doing start and stop checks at A2, A3 and A4. Range again tomorrow to work on that swing!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

5/2/17:

4-8-12 putting drills for 10 or 15 minutes before work this morning...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

5/2

I worked on the same hip turn and weight shift as usual, but this time it was on the course. This will be the focus of my practice for quite some time. I also did a little tempo work as well. I went to get some range work in but Jacob wanted to play so I just worked on my stuff on the course. I also worked on using a hybrid around the green rather than my go to iron chips. I want to get that shot in my bag as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 2525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!