IGNORED

Define a Sandwich

iacas
Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I think the point that some people would try to make is that "sandwich" is the surrounding category, while wraps and tacos and such are sub-categories. In a Venn diagram, one big circle would be labeled "sandwich" with smaller "taco" and "wrap" circles inside.

I'm not sure how I feel, but that's how others feel, I am pretty sure.

I understand what you're saying here, but in my mind the tacos and wraps and burritos are separate categories.  On the other hand, I'd lump subs (and grinders and hoagies and poboys) and hotdogs (and other sausages) as subsets within the sandwich category, but those are all much more accurately described without using the word sandwich.

Another thing that crossed my mind was the New York way of eating pizza, folding it lengthwise, so the crust is on both sides of the topping.  To me that's not a pizza sandwich.  However, you could put two pizzas together, one with toppings up, the other quickly inverted so its crust was on top, and I WOULD call that a pizza sandwich.  I don't think that makes much sense, but I'd still make the distinction that way.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spoiler

Me: Hey, do you know the difference between a dick and a steak sandwich?

My wife (hesitantly): uh...no....

Me: Want a steak sandwich?

:-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I think the point that some people would try to make is that "sandwich" is the surrounding category, while wraps and tacos and such are sub-categories. In a Venn diagram, one big circle would be labeled "sandwich" with smaller "taco" and "wrap" circles inside.

I'm not sure how I feel, but that's how others feel, I am pretty sure.

I don't think I would put tacos in the sandwich circle.  That's way too far of a stretch.  Wraps?  Possibly.  I'm guessing the majority would feel the same way.

If we actually develop a Venn diagram on this...I'm out.  :-)

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Now that I've expressed an opinion, I started to wonder why I (or anyone else) really cares.  If it tastes good, why should I care if its called a sandwich or a taco or a roti or anything else?  I guess I prefer for words to have pretty specific meanings.  To include a lot of other types of food within the "sandwich" circle dilutes the meaning of the term "sandwich".  It becomes less and less descriptive when it covers more and more types of food.  I'd rather call each of those foods by its own name instead of lumping them all into a single catch-all category.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

To me, a sandwich = one something held snugly between two other non-contiguous somethings.  Can venture outside the realm of food.  But as far as it relates to food:  ice cream sandwich = yes; hot dog = no (unless you rip the bun in half, then it's a wiener sandwich, which one might ought not google).  Tacos = dude...c'mon!

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

The person who would say "I'm going to make a sandwich" , and went and made a hot dog,  Is the guy who would say "I'm going golfing" and went to Putt Putt.

Get them out of your life ASAP!

On 5/2/2017 at 9:56 PM, TN94z said:

I'm more of a structure neutral, ingredient rebel. Not all sandwiches contain meat. I mean, peanut butter and banana is one of my favorites! If I could get a pb&j or pb and banana on footlong subway bread...I would tear that up!

Oh dude! If you like peanut butter and banana then you gotta add bacon for the Elvis Special! It sounded really weird the first time I heard of it, but it's great.

FWIW, I don't call a hot dog a sandwich, It's a hot dog. I also don't call a hamburger a sandwich although it's a lot closer to the classical definition. To me it's a hamburger. Yet, I can have a roast beef sandwich. Hot sausage or meatball sandwich, which are in a bun just like a hot dog.

Ask anyone who has learned English as a second language. English is hard!

I enjoy all the varieties.  I like a toasted Meatloaf Sandwich  with Mustard.  I am a big fan of Montreal Smoke Meat Sandwiches, Thickly piled with Moutard on Rye. Pickle on the side.  But I simplify my Peanut Butter/ plus to just Honey as the companion. My My ! Hot dogs are in a category for me with Sausage or Kielbossa  on a thicker bun.  Heaven.

Edited by gatsby47

I'd say I'm true neutral, but I don't believe that a hot dog with just ketchup/mustard is a sandwich just as I'd say two slices of bread with just a slice of turkey, ham, etc. is not a sandwich. If you went and got a Chicago style dog with peppers, tomatoes, onions, or other ingredients, then yes it is a sandwich. You still call a chicken breast with other ingredients between bread a sandwich right? I think you need multiple ingredients or you just have bread with food and not a sandwich. And no, condiments like ketchup are not ingredients. I mean lettuce, meat, cheese, chili, onions, peppers, basically everything that fits between two pieces of bread. I think the biggest defining feature is that a sandwich is two 'halves' of bread of some sort. I say halves lightly because I believe a sub is a sandwich, even though it's not split into two.

24 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

Today's XKCD:

random_obsessions.png

Source: https://xkcd.com/1835/

This is funny.

Note: This thread is 2552 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!