IGNORED

I Hate Iron Covers

Note: This thread is 2408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went by a course I played a couple of weeks ago to look through the lost and found for an iron cover. Found it. I have had these clubs for 20 years, and honestly, they look like maybe 6 month old clubs. I have kept the stinking iron covers on them since new. I have another set that is their predecessor that is 38 years old and same deal. They could pass for 2-3 year old clubs. I am obligated to keep and replace the covers to keep them pristine.

No. More. 

Oh I will continue with these two sets, but future irons will not wear covers.

My current set of vintage irons have that nice patina. Of course they were old when I bought them. My next set of modern irons will acquire that patina, whether I buy them new or they come pre-patina-ized.

• Upvote 1

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Iron covers, I get it, but man. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I've never owned an iron cover, and hope I never do.  You can't hear that comforting clack of the clubs against one another while you walk.  I love that sound.  Of course, I remember fondly the sound of real steel spikes on concrete, and with I could hear it again.  Sadly, I believe that sound is gone forever, outside of the pro tours where there are a few hold-outs.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

One guy I play with is super anal with all his damn covers.  Wastes so much time with those silly things.  His bag looks riidiculous.  He's a great guy except for this huge golf transgression.

• Upvote 1

I only use them when I travel.  Other than that, it's never seemed necessary to me.  And, it's just one more (or 10 more) thing to keep track of, or lose.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I've never owned an iron cover, and hope I never do.  You can't hear that comforting clack of the clubs against one another while you walk.  I love that sound.  Of course, I remember fondly the sound of real steel spikes on concrete, and with I could hear it again.  Sadly, I believe that sound is gone forever, outside of the pro tours where there are a few hold-outs.

And I thought I was a weirdo because I miss that sound too! The sound of real "nails" crunching in a gravel parking lot or clacking on concrete. A blind man could know exactly where he was just from those sounds!

Then I come to find that you, and David Feherty agree with me.

And people who use iron covers are anal geeks!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I remember fondly the sound of real steel spikes on concrete

That makes my feet hurt again just thinking about them ...  :cry:
Not to mention all the damn times I damn near busted my ass when they would slide on a slick surface.

13 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

hear that comforting clack of the clubs against one another while you walk.

Now that's sweet music to my ears, almost better than Rock & Roll .....  :beer:
The key word is "Almost"

• Upvote 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

3 hours ago, Club Rat said:

Now that's sweet music to my ears, almost better than Rock & Roll .....  :beer:
The key word is "Almost"

Also almost better than the sound of a bottle of good beer being popped open.  :beer:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Iron covers.  No, no, no.

I not only despise them because they are hideous and hide the beauty and, as @DaveP043 mentioned, the sound of irons but I use to work in a bag room where I'd have to clean a 40-50 sets of clubs on a given day.  There were a handful of guys that had these things and they were a frickin' pain to work around.

I joked with the head pro that he should ban them.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Use iron covers for travel. 

When I purchased PXG irons, I used covers for the first time consistently. Don't need to tempt the bad nature of others.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Iron covers are for people who shield their truck tires from the sun with a plywood board, or keep their couches covered in plastic... My dad kept a tv remote in a plastic bag (including while it was in use). He's not right in the head...

• Upvote 1

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

My son gave a set of iron covers to me as a gift. Not really a fan but I have to keep using them until I lose a few more, after which I won't be replacing them. They're not too much of a pain in the ass and the sound of irons chattering isn't anything I miss.

Jon

On 5/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

I only use them when I travel.  Other than that, it's never seemed necessary to me.  And, it's just one more (or 10 more) thing to keep track of, or lose.

I second this. I have some nice soft zippered covers I got on eBay. I want to protect the medallions in the cavities of the irons, plus forged clubs get enough dings without adding more. I take them off before play and then put them back on when I leave.

I once tried to leave them on during play; too much hassle and I promptly lost one.  I ended up sticking them in the bag each time I used one. So, for me, they have a function but not on the course. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

14 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Also almost better than the sound of a bottle of good beer being popped open.  :beer:

Just as long as it's not a screw cap! No good beer lives under a screw cap!

• Upvote 1

Nothing looks better imo than some nice Staff old school chrome blades proudly on display without covers.

I like the look of some bag chatter on them.  It means they get used not babied like some Christmas ornament.

Covering clubs is inherently wrong.;-)

Edited by Jack Watson

As long as the marks are from proper use, I have no problem. However, when your younger Brother puts some "gravel grooves" in the brass sole plate of your custom designed persimmon 3 wood by swinging it in the driveway, well, let's just say I wanted to kill the goof!

Edited by Buckeyebowman

Note: This thread is 2408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!