IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Qualifier

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

Guess I'll be waiting for my letter from the USGA to arrive in the mail soon. 

Maybe, maybe not.  My understanding was that letters go to those who fail to shoot within 12 shots of the course rating.  As set-up, the course rating had to be close to 74.0 so anything under 86 may not be considered out of line.  Whatever happens, you gave it your best shot with the game you had today.  That is worth a lot.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  My understanding was that letters go to those who fail to shoot within 12 shots of the course rating.

I thought it was within 8 strokes. Either way, I think he'll be good. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

3 hours ago, phillyk said:

I thought it was within 8 strokes. Either way, I think he'll be good. 

I know when I tried to qualify for the US Amatuer, I believe it was 10 shots, played 36 holes at Crestwood CC in Mass.  Shot 76+77-153, I remember thinking at the time that I was in trouble as I shot 11 over, but it was +10 each round, but that was many years ago.

Finished middle of the pack.  I remember my Dad caddied for me, he lasted about 15 holes, carried my bag the rest of the way and the 2nd 18. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Well, it appears as though I played much more like I did on Saturday than how I did on Sunday.

It was pretty ugly today, I shot an 84. I couldn't keep the face square to save my life, with ~60% of my full swing shots starting right and going further right. That said, it wasn't a terrible experience since I played with a guy who ended up shooting even par.

I shot 5 over on the front and was regrouping on the back nine (two putted from 70 feet on 10 for par) to try and at least keep things respectable. The problems arose when I tripled hole 13 and I let it get into my head. I could've turned things around, but I didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame there. I just flat out stunk today, though the silver lining is that I had zero 3-putts.

Guess I'll be waiting for my letter from the USGA to arrive in the mail soon. :-P

I blame the burrito! :-D 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Well, it appears as though I played much more like I did on Saturday than how I did on Sunday.

It was pretty ugly today, I shot an 84. I couldn't keep the face square to save my life, with ~60% of my full swing shots starting right and going further right. That said, it wasn't a terrible experience since I played with a guy who ended up shooting even par.

I shot 5 over on the front and was regrouping on the back nine (two putted from 70 feet on 10 for par) to try and at least keep things respectable. The problems arose when I tripled hole 13 and I let it get into my head. I could've turned things around, but I didn't and I have nobody but myself to blame there. I just flat out stunk today, though the silver lining is that I had zero 3-putts.

Guess I'll be waiting for my letter from the USGA to arrive in the mail soon. :-P

One of my buddies who is a pro shot an 82 when I caddied for him last year. You won't hear from USGA if you're concerned they think you were too bad to play. They're only really concerned if they can tell someone has no business being there. They're used to people 'cracking under pressure' like this. And excuse that term because I don't want to jump to a conclusion of what happened. You'll be fine so long as the people in your group didn't come back and say "Yeah, ___ was a real hacker and clearly shouldn't have been here." 

Don't let it get under your skin, golf is hard. Not to mention, an 84 may be better than a lot of us would have shot. Hope you at least had fun!

38 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

One of my buddies who is a pro shot an 82 when I caddied for him last year. You won't hear from USGA if you're concerned they think you were too bad to play. They're only really concerned if they can tell someone has no business being there. They're used to people 'cracking under pressure' like this. And excuse that term because I don't want to jump to a conclusion of what happened. You'll be fine so long as the people in your group didn't come back and say "Yeah, ___ was a real hacker and clearly shouldn't have been here." 

I get the feeling that I probably would have had similar result regardless of where I played today, but I don't know for certain. 

All I know is that I'll be spending a few hours on the range and course tomorrow trying to figure out what on earth was causing it. 

Keep your chin up @Pretzel.  Seems like the first crack at these things go this way well more than not.  You've definitely got the game, and this will go down as valuable experience.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I get the feeling that I probably would have had similar result regardless of where I played today, but I don't know for certain. 

All I know is that I'll be spending a few hours on the range and course tomorrow trying to figure out what on earth was causing it. 

Don´t worry that much about the score, im confident that some days is your day and can shoot 5 strokes lower than your average, and some days everything in your game is off and you could shoot 5 shoots or more above your average. This was just a bad day.

Last weekend I shoot 69-79 and 69 this Sunday without any changes in the middle.

Here are some rounds of the players...

Jason Day: 70 - 72 - 73 - 80 !
Justin Rose: 74 - 71 - 71 - 80 !
Matt Kuchar: 73 - 71 - 81 !
Jhon Rham 68 - 72 - 82 !
JB Holmes 68 - 69 - 70 - 84 !!

Shit happens, don´t worry.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Hey, there's always the AM qualifier!

Many of us have long thought you were wise beyond your years Tyler.  The above is exactly what you should be thinking.   

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

You'll be fine about the letter. I shot 87 last year in the Mid Am qualifier on a par 72 and still haven't received a letter.

Tournament golf is a whole different animal. It is amazing how much your emotions come into play. Last year I hit a 255 yd 4 iron off the first tee through the fairway. I was amped up. Huge relief when you walk off that first green and really get to focus. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

20 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Tournament golf is a whole different animal.

Definitivly is !

Last mid-Am i played shoot 76/77, but on a 180 yards par 3 with water front/right of the green i misshit my 5 iron so bad that the ball didn´t lift from the ground and rolled in the direction of the watter, afortunately for me there were deep rough before it and stop still leaving me 100 yards to the green.
Was a little funny that my playing partner didn´t see the ball, they where looking for it in the sky :P.

On another mid am on a 190 yards par 3, hit OB left first round for a triple bogey, bogey the second day and shank rigth on the 3rd day for a lucky double. 6 over in that hole for the tournament. It definitivly gets into my head.

Pressure in this tournaments can make you do thing you regulary don´t do.      

1 hour ago, pgone said:

Pretzel, Are you from TAMPA FL

No, I've yet to live outside of Colorado.

I'll post my GAME Golf round this evening once I'm back from the golf course.

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

I'll post my GAME Golf round this evening once I'm back from the golf course.

Good.  I was hoping you'd use it for this.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

20 hours ago, Pretzel said:

Best of luck. It would be cool to see someone from TST in the US Open. Are you going to try again next year?

52 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

Best of luck. It would be cool to see someone from TST in the US Open. Are you going to try again next year?

I see no reason not to so long as I maintain my handicap. It was a bit frustrating to play so poorly, but hopefully I will be able to prepare myself better next year. This year was kind of crazy with the amount of stuff I had to do in the three weeks leading up to the qualifier, so hopefully my school stuff isn't as hectic next year to allow me to better prepare for the event. 

I had two practice rounds scheduled that I ended up having to cancel due to various assignments and projects taking priority, but that's alright. One of my projects got pushed back two weeks to the same week as another project, which is what left me so busy, so it was unexpected and I don't anticipate it happening again.

Overall it was still not a bad experience. It was actually the first time in a good while that I had played a course with a yardage book and the sprinkler head markers, so that was a nice change of pace. In the future, however, I'd definitely like to have 1-2 practice rounds in the weeks leading up to the event before playing one last final practice round the day before the event where I play from my notes and my yardage book, only taking measurements with my laser after I've hit my shots so that I can get some feedback on making sure my estimates are accurate.

Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!