IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Qualifier

Pretzel
Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good luck!:beer:

I like that course. It's a great lay out. 

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

This next Monday (not tomorrow, but a week from tomorrow) I will be playing in one of the U.S. Open local qualifiers for the first time, which should be a good bit of fun. It's a little concerning since this coming week is finals week, meaning my golf will be minimal, but I should be able to sneak in a practice round or two and get a feel for the course. I've played in one tournament before at the venue (Commonground), so I know it's about as close to a links golf course as exists in Colorado, but I'll be mapping out my desired tee shots and my bailout areas as I survey the course. 

WsJ2B7a.png

The course should play a bit long, but none of the par 5's other than hole 3 really have any teeth to them. The rest of them ought to be reachable in two, or at least allow me to get within 20-30 yards at worst for my third shot to make the holes play easier than they would otherwise. The course's primary defense appears that it will be the par 3's on the back nine, where the shortest of the trio measures 219 yards and the longest 243 yards. The good news is that I should still be able to hit an iron into all of the par 3's, so I won't have to worry about choking down on a 3 wood unless there's some really crazy wind that day. 

Overall I think it'll be fun to really test myself under the toughest of conditions. I plan to update this thread after my practice round/s with my findings on the course, as well as after I've finished with a brief (or not so brief, depending on how I feel) summary of how things went and the competition in general.

That course would be a par 75 for me. A 508 par 4? Yikes!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Make sure to take note of the greens.  They will put pins on edge of ridges or in spots that are guarded and hard to get to.  They try to make you really think about how to play your approach shots.  Good luck!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Best of luck to you!

There's doing a US Open qualifyer tomorrow near us, and I'm going to take my son to check it out.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Can you give us a link to the course?  Par 71 at over 7400 yards is a beast!  Are you taking a caddie?

Have fun and good luck!  As others have said, keep us informed!

:beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

That's awesome! Good luck! Always wondered how intense the open qualifier is, so it'll be great to hear it first hand from a player. 

Par 71 at those yardages..wow! Very cool! I can't wait to hear the updates 

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Can you give us a link to the course?  Par 71 at over 7400 yards is a beast! 

https://www.commongroundgc.com/golf-course - looks like a good course.

good luck @Pretzel - hope you play well and really looking forward to hearing how you do.

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Are you taking a caddie?

It would be nice to, but I haven't found anyone who isn't busy that day so I'll probably end up carrying my own bag. That's not a big concern or anything though, I don't really get tired from walking 18 holes so fatigue shouldn't play into things. If I, by some miracle, end up in sectional qualifying after this I'd definitely want a caddy for the 36 in a day, but for 18 holes it isn't bad. I've found in the past when I had a caddy the best part about it was just having a conversation partner that you already know pretty well for the round, moreso than not carrying your own clubs.

6 hours ago, phillyk said:

Make sure to take note of the greens.  They will put pins on edge of ridges or in spots that are guarded and hard to get to.  They try to make you really think about how to play your approach shots.  Good luck!

Yeah, that's the reason I really want to get out for practice rounds is because I don't remember very well if the greens have ridges, big slopes, or are mostly flat. I played down in Pueblo at Walking Stick for a big tournament once where they got the greens up to 13 on the Stimpmeter and those greens almost all have 2-4 tiers with ridges in between. If you hit your approach to a tier above the hole, you were literally better off chipping down to the hole with a wedge to try and get the spin necessary to keep the ball on the same tier as the hole.

I think the greens have some nice rolling undulations, but nothing to sharp or steep. I'll know for sure once I get there and mark them all out. Honestly though, since I'll be having some mid-long iron approaches I'll probably end up aiming at the fatter portions of most greens anyways as the lowest scoring play since I'm fairly confident in my putting, and I know a 2-putt is more likely than an up and down in a majority of scenarios. 

You're young, you can carry your own damn bag. ;-)

I was thinking more someone to help settle you down.  Someone with course knowledge, can read greens, and really knows your game could be helpful though.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, boogielicious said:

That course would be a par 75 for me. A 508 par 4? Yikes!

8 hours ago, David in FL said:

Par 71 at over 7400 yards is a beast! 

It's at elevation, so not as beastly as it seems.  However, still long (maybe 6,900-ish, relative to sea level).

@Pretzel Best of luck on the qualifier!

That's terrific that you are entering. Hope you play well. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck with finals too. :-)

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

@Pretzel, what is the course charging you for a practice round? The course hosting my qualifier is charging $125 which I felt was pretty extreme. I've played many qualifier practice rounds at both public and private and I've never been charged more than $40.

9 minutes ago, Shooting29 said:

@Pretzel, what is the course charging you for a practice round? The course hosting my qualifier is charging $125 which I felt was pretty extreme. I've played many qualifier practice rounds at both public and private and I've never been charged more than $40.

I haven't been charged in the past for practice rounds of qualifiers. At most maybe $40 like you said. $125 for practice is ridiculous. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 2536 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!