IGNORED

dress code

kiwi g
Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

do you think golf needs to relax its dress code  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think golf needs to relax its dress code?

• yes
    • no

About 25 years ago I use to play at Desert Rose GC (aka Winterwood) 4 or 5 times a week. Their dress code was pretty standard. 

Ond day I showed up just to practice in my cargo shorts and a sleeveless tee shirt. It was probably 110 degrees out that day. The counter guy about had a fit when he saw me walk by the window. 

i told him I was just there to practice my short game, that I had wore the same attire to practice on many prior occasions. He was not buying it, and I left. 

A few years later, it dawned on me that I had done the "man, we are just talking about practice" routine long before that NBA player did it. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always feel more comfortable in a tee shirt when I golf as I look at golf as more fun than serious.  So my attitude lends itself to enjoy golf more in a t shirt and very casual attire. 

7 minutes ago, Zekez said:

I always feel more comfortable in a tee shirt when I golf as I look at golf as more fun than serious.  So my attitude lends itself to enjoy golf more in a t shirt and very casual attire. 

And there are courses that feel the same way.  Of course you're limiting your selection to fewer courses, and generally (I imagine there are exceptions) to those of lesser quality.

But that's what's nice about a free marketplace.  We all get to make decisions based upon that which is important to each of us.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

As with any business establishment, golf courses are free to set their own dress codes.  I am not sure why some people find this appalling.  Restaurants and other businesses have "no shirt, no service" rules.  Some restaurants have (or use to have) a rule that you must have a sports coat on. 

If I don't like a particular dress code, I won't patronize the facility.

• Upvote 1

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

On 5/19/2017 at 1:56 PM, NJpatbee said:

I am not sure if I explained it well but it has always made sense to me.  

nicely stated and good story too.  As I said, I 'get it'.  I just wanted to make a specific point.

21 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I'm a 70 year old boomer and I abhor the "yacht club culture".

I'm ex-Navy (Naval Reactors).  big difference between our boats and their boats ;-).  For that matter, there is no place in the world that levels out culture faster than the military - actions matter, character matters - not all the cosmetic stuff people obsess on today

THANK YOU for your service

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

I read the OP and came directly to the last page. Many above find it the same way I do. It depends on the course. There are places around here where you can play shirtless, in cut off jeans or gym shorts, wearing flip flops or even going barefoot!

Good enough for who it's for, you know? When I'm at one of these courses I do as the Romans do.

But, when I play a nicer venue I at least like to look the part, even though I may not play like it.

One time, we were in San Francisco for a convention and were invited to dine at the Olympic Club. I wore dress slacks, button down shirt and a tie, but neglected to put on a sports coat. We were informed after entering that sports coats were required for male diners. I apologized, saying I didn't know of that rule, but it was no problem. A nice woman took me into a large closet where they had a selection of sports coats. I was able to find one that matched my attire and off to dinner we went.

But the original question concerned Jason Day and the presentation of a tournament trophy. Jason Day is a pro! The pros have their own dress code. What? He couldn't bother keeping his "nice" clothes on until he handed off the trophy? Maybe he was hot and sweaty and wanted a shower. OK, take your shower and change into more "nice" clothes! They get them for free, for crying out loud!

I went to a funeral the other day. I wore denim cutoffs, a baseball cap, sandals and a T-shirt.

For some reason, people gave me funny looks. I really respected and loved the person whose funeral it was.

What the way I dress has got to do with anything except me expressing my personal freedoms is beyond me.

When a guy in a suit said I was disrespectful and should have worn a jacket and long pants I really gave it to him. He couldn't tell me WHY I should dress in a way that suited HIM. 

The church was full of sheeple wearing fancy clothes - suits, ties, floral dresses. I was really proud of my ability to express myself individually. I mean - I'll bet I make twice as much money as the "best dressed" person there, so that's proof that I can do what I like. PLUS -  I was in the army, so screw them!!

Edited by Shorty
  • Upvote 2

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I personally like the dress codes at most golf courses, but I'm old. I understand people today want to dress casually. Jeans, T-shirts, shirt tails out is becoming more and more prevalent in everyday life. I guess that's why I love old movies from the 40s and 50s. Everyone was dressed impeccably, even the bad guys and girls. Maybe things will swing back some day. I don't see how people could possibly "dress down" any more than they do now. My only gripe is when men over 50 wear flip-flops. 

11 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I personally like the dress codes at most golf courses, but I'm old. I understand people today want to dress casually. Jeans, T-shirts, shirt tails out is becoming more and more prevalent in everyday life. I guess that's why I love old movies from the 40s and 50s. Everyone was dressed impeccably, even the bad guys and girls. Maybe things will swing back some day. I don't see how people could possibly "dress down" any more than they do now. My only gripe is when men over 50 wear flip-flops. 

Well, crap.  You had me in agreement until that final sentence.  

:-) 

In David's bag....

On 5/20/2017 at 9:27 PM, Shorty said:

I went to a funeral the other day. I wore denim cutoffs, a baseball cap, sandals and a T-shirt.

For some reason, people gave me funny looks. I really respected and loved the person whose funeral it was.

What the way I dress has got to do with anything except me expressing my personal freedoms is beyond me.

When a guy in a suit said I was disrespectful and should have worn a jacket and long pants I really gave it to him. He couldn't tell me WHY I should dress in a way that suited HIM. 

The church was full of sheeple wearing fancy clothes - suits, ties, floral dresses. I was really proud of my ability to express myself individually. I mean - I'll bet I make twice as much money as the "best dressed" person there, so that's proof that I can do what I like. PLUS -  I was in the army, so screw them!!

LOVE IT!!

About 15 years ago my wife and i went to the Symphony to see Itzhak Perlman.  it was a 90 degree June day.  We wore shorts.  I think we were the only ones in shorts.  Many had on tuxedos.  I don't recall getting any staredowns though.

I think jeans on a golf course is kind of silly looking...but I don't personally care.  I don't understand why someone would want to play in jeans.  

Personally I prefer to play in a nice fitting t shirt than a stiff polo.  Nowadays though the clothing manufactures make really breathable and comfortable shirts to play golf.  I found a couple of  the newerTiger Woods shirts at my local TJ Maxx for 20 bucks and they are really nice...by far my favorite golf shirts.  However, when I am going for a private round alone and I am walking, I prefer to wear tennis shoes, a nice pair of cotton shorts, and a tshirt.  When I am playing on the weekend at usually a much nicer place...I like to put on slacks, a nice golf shirt and my golf spikes.  Tucking it in is not always my favorite "rule" that some courses have...but whatever the course wants, I will oblige.  

How many courses out there have locker rooms? My old home course had an antiquated yet serviceable locker room very few people knew about.

I'm thinking about the guys playing twilight after work who don't have a minute to spare. Either you wear your golf clothes to work, or you do your best to golf in your work clothes. That means if you work in jeans, you play golf in jeans. 

31 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

How many courses out there have locker rooms? My old home course had an antiquated yet serviceable locker room very few people knew about.

I'm thinking about the guys playing twilight after work who don't have a minute to spare. Either you wear your golf clothes to work, or you do your best to golf in your work clothes. That means if you work in jeans, you play golf in jeans. 

I have had this problem before.   But I always just change in the car.  I travel in my car all the time for work, and two things I always have in my car with me.  1) Golf Clubs 2) Change of clothes to play golf in.  

You never know when you are going to get stuck on 95...its much better to kill a few hours playing 9 holes of golf at some place you will probably never play again than sitting on 95 somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

1 hour ago, Nutsmacker said:

I have had this problem before.   But I always just change in the car.  I travel in my car all the time for work, and two things I always have in my car with me.  1) Golf Clubs 2) Change of clothes to play golf in.  

You never know when you are going to get stuck on 95...its much better to kill a few hours playing 9 holes of golf at some place you will probably never play again than sitting on 95 somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

...and I can change from suit and tie to full-on golf attire in 10 minutes flat, while doing 50 mph! ;-) 

In David's bag....

6 hours ago, David in FL said:

Well, crap.  You had me in agreement until that final sentence.  

:-) 

David, all we ask is that you stop wearing black dress socks with the flip flops. Please. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Colin P.

3 minutes ago, colin007 said:

David, all we ask is that you stop wearing black dress socks with the flip flops. Please. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

You have to ruin a pair of socks to cut a slit between the big and second toes.  Not everyone has that kind of commitment to their sense of style!

:-D 

In David's bag....

I'm all about paying respects to the occasion by attempting not looking like I don't give a shit. It is a matter of common courtesy. Money has nothing to do with it. 

Why should you consider dressing up at times? Well, it shows that you care!, it takes time to prepare a nice ironed shirt and a nicely pressed paired of pants if needed be. A wrinkly t-shirt and a pair of cut off jeans IMO speaks pretty loudly. You might say to yourself..I care as much as any one else. The problem however is that it would not show it. 

Note: This thread is 2475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!