IGNORED

2017 U.S. Open Discussion Topic

Utah_Golf
Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering how the pilot of the blimp was doing, found this detailed piece.

https://viralnews1.top/heres-what-we-know-about-the-u-s-open-airship-crash/

• Upvote 2

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I agree. I hope Fleetwood doesn't create another Danny Willet story. Kinda nice to see someone win who will do something with it. DW has just proven exactly what many thought: Somebody had to be in second place when JS gave the Masters away...just happened to be DW.

I must say, I thought Willet was going to do more with his Masters win. Willett went into that Masters on the upswing with 5 top-5s and contending in all the big tournaments leading up to the Masters.He was hyped up when he first turned pro as one of England's future stars. But since his green jacket, he's looked more like Trevor Immelman...a guy with a lot of promise who won a major and has just disappeared. (Although Immelman went through illnesses and injuries that helped ruin his career.)

Speaking of that Masters, I know some may disagree, but I feel Jordan Spieth still has some scar tissue left over from that back 9 collapse that he hasn't recovered from. He went from contending in 5 straight majors to being nowhere to be seen since on leaderboards on the back 9 on Major Championship Sundays. 

Edited by ChrisP

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Anyone notice this? ProTracer or whatever it's called now, TopGolfTracer, TopTracer coming up before ball comes off clubhead.

Yes, I did notice that. And I noticed how crooked the line was. And did anyone but me notice how futzed up the broadcast was just before 7PM Eastern? All pixellated and jumpy? I couldn't tell if it was the local station or if it was coming from the source.

2 hours ago, David in FL said:

My vote for MVP today goes to whoever dressed Holly Sonders...

Oh, hell yes!

It seemed that once the -7 "wall" was broken through, the whole place went crazy! It was an absolute birdie fest! Of course, an inch of rain overnight will do that. And not much wind during the day.

Like one of the more sensible commentators said, Erin Hills is a course made for wind. And they haven't had that much this week. But hey, nobody controls the weather. They called for storms during the day and got only a mild sprinkle at the very end. Seems the weather forecasters up there are about as accurate as the ones down here!

I look forward to tomorrow. Saw some amazing shots hit today. And maybe the wind will blow tomorrow.

Ill be pulling for the lil guy Harman to take down the big hitters. That guy is tough as nails and has a sweet smooth swing with strong putting.A 3-4 man monday playoff be awesome too.

Reading about Johnny Miller's response to Justin Thomas's 63, and they are, well, very Miller-esque - 

In an interview with the Golf Channel, Miller said: "Taking nothing away from nine under par, nine under is incredible with U.S. Open pressure. But it isn't a U.S. Open course that I'm familiar with, the way it was set up.

"It looks like a PGA Tour event course set-up. I'm not sure where the days of the 24- to 29-yard-wide fairways that we played every time went. It's interesting to see where the USGA has gone with the U.S. Open, being a little more friendly than in years past."

Continuing to downplay Thomas' admirable efforts in favour of trumpeting his own past glories, two-time major champion Miller added: "For one, the greatness of my round is the 63 in the last round of the U.S. Open to win by one. Everything else is way secondary.

"If somebody does it tomorrow [Sunday] to win the U.S. Open by one, that's the specialness of my round. And secondly, Erin Hills isn't exactly Oakmont.

"The course wasn't designed to be soft, and if it was going to be soft, it should have been 26- or 27-yard-wide fairways. That's what made it easy. The guys weren't afraid to bomb it.

"It was never that way in the U.S. Open. It was always about really tight fairways and having to be a great driver. This went totally against the tradition of the U.S. Open."

https://sports.yahoo.com/everything-else-way-secondary-miller-005626954.html

We were having a mini-convo on this in the middle of this thread, about how Miller talks a lot about himself while he is commentating. Some disagreement regarding. But this isn't that - Miller isn't doing commentary for anyone this year. But, of course, he was asked about Thomas's 63. 

And when I said they were Miller-esque, what I meant was, he was edgy, a little snarky...and right. JT's 63 was a great accomplishment, no doubt. But it wasn't a final-round to win the Open at Oakmont 63. I personally give credit points to the fact that Miller's was in the final round to win when virtually everyone else was struggling, whereas JT's was, honesty, the lowest of a bunch of low rounds shot that day - 65s, 67s. Lot of players were going low. Heck - JT wasn't even leading at the end of the day!

I realize that Miller rubs a lot of people wrong. He doesn't have the graciousness of Nicklaus or the humility of Palmer. But that doesn't mean he was wrong about JT's round. 

They say the truth hurts sometimes. In Miller's case, he has the tendency to make sure it does.

6 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Reading about Johnny Miller's response to Justin Thomas's 63, and they are, well, very Miller-esque - 

https://sports.yahoo.com/everything-else-way-secondary-miller-005626954.html

We were having a mini-convo on this in the middle of this thread, about how Miller talks a lot about himself while he is commentating. Some disagreement regarding. But this isn't that - Miller isn't doing commentary for anyone this year. But, of course, he was asked about Thomas's 63. 

And when I said they were Miller-esque, what I meant was, he was edgy, a little snarky...and right. JT's 63 was a great accomplishment, no doubt. But it wasn't a final-round to win the Open at Oakmont 63. I personally give credit points to the fact that Miller's was in the final round to win when virtually everyone else was struggling, whereas JT's was, honesty, the lowest of a bunch of low rounds shot that day - 65s, 67s. Lot of players were going low. Heck - JT wasn't even leading at the end of the day!

I realize that Miller rubs a lot of people wrong. He doesn't have the graciousness of Nicklaus or the humility of Palmer. But that doesn't mean he was wrong about JT's round. 

They say the truth hurts sometimes. In Miller's case, he has the tendency to make sure it does.

Well  i have to agree about his comments. This golf course is not setup for the toughest test that a US Open is supposed to be. Id like to see Thomas or any of them shoot that low on a.......real golf course.Haaaa.

In the case of the tournament leader, I can count the number of times Brian Harman's tee shots haven't found the middle of the fairway this week on one hand. The way he's been driving the ball, 27-yard-wide fairways wouldn't have much effect.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

20 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

In the case of the tournament leader, I can count the number of times Brian Harman's tee shots haven't found the middle of the fairway this week on one hand. The way he's been driving the ball, 27-yard-wide fairways wouldn't have much effect.

Well, someone has to lead...irrespective of the width of the fairways. Don't see what that has to do with Miller's comment about Oakmont's fairways versus Erin Hills & JT's 63. Did Harman shoot 63?

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Well, someone has to lead...irrespective of the width of the fairways. Don't see what that has to do with Miller's comment about Oakmont's fairways versus Erin Hills & JT's 63. Did Harman shoot 63?

He didn't quote you. I don't think he was responding to that topic…

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Windy conditions today.  Would love to see Fowler pull this off a la Scottish Open.

May also be a day for a Euro/Brit to feel right at home.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Looks very windy today. I would think Fowler and Fleetwood would benefit the most from these conditions. Should be a fun Sunday.

Happy Fathers Day all you dads out there!

• Upvote 1

Not a great day for a come from behind charge.  Today will be survival mode.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

39 minutes ago, wannabe said:

Not a great day for a come from behind charge.  Today will be survival mode.

Good, I'm ready to see some carnage.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

And the Palmer flag is in!  What an ordeal to get it in too.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Yeah that wind is whipping. Not gonna see any 63s today. Or 65s...or 67s.

12 under is leading now. I wouldn't be surprised if 10 under wins it.

Just now, Shindig said:

Yeah really. Let's get some more people trampling around on that green before the players come through...

Kevin Na with a great approach to #1.  From the fairway, not the hay. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, Shindig said:

I'm not watching yet. What do you mean?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

25 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'm not watching yet. What do you mean?

One of the greens has a special Palmer flag -- it's a flag but the icon is the silhouette of Arnold Palmer.  Fox showed the crew measuring a few things on the green to decide where to place the cup (and therefore the pin).  I don't know if that was normal for cutting a hole in a green or not as I've never participated in that.

Here's the flag:

DCnalOPWsAEVqsk.jpg

-- Michael | My swing! 

Note: This thread is 2495 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!