IGNORED

Steph Curry Receives Sponsors Exemption into Web.com Event

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Jack Watson said:

Pretty sure Curry knows how to channel nervous energy into focus better than most.

I really doubt his result will be bad because of mental issues. It will be bad because he's not as good as those guys.

Yep.

2 hours ago, zipazoid said:

Never said that.

All I did was try to relate it to my experiences playing amateur tournament golf.

Sure you did… You related your tournament experience as - at best - a 2.2 and compared that to what Steph Curry will feel, despite the fact that he's a world champion athlete and, so far as I know, you are not. Your situations are not comparable. He will have a better handle on feeling a little pressure and nerves (if he even feels any at all) because he's a world champion athlete who has performed athletic tasks well under extreme pressure on the largest stage. The fact that he's playing "tournament golf" will have far less of an effect on him, given his experience, than it did on you.

2 hours ago, zipazoid said:

Of COURSE I am not implying that my experience compares to winning the NBA Championship. I was simply, and only, saying that posting a handicap at your club & playing to that in a tournament are very different. My personal experiences have proved this, irrespective of the level of the stage I was "dinking it around" on.

The "difference" between golf and tournament golf is mental. When people say that, they're talking about the mental aspect of playing golf. The nerves. The pressure. The situation.

Steph Curry is far more equipped to handle that than you were/are.

2 hours ago, JetFan1983 said:

Yea despite my post defending that he probably has more experienced nerves than you're giving him credit for, 85+ is always a very likely outcome; however, the more I look at this, the more I think this is the track for a good celebrity amateur to break 80 on. It's TPC Stonebrae, the place where a guy shot 58 last year and 30-under total to win. Hell, this is the same track that Jerry Rice barfed out 83-76 on. The cut last year was 3-under, and the guy who finished dead last went 76-78.

If there's one course on the Web.com for a talented celebrity amateur to break 80 on, it's this one. 

Like the quoted post above, I don't know what he's going to shoot, just that it's highly unlikely that whatever he shoots will not be a result of nerves/pressure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Sure you did… You related your tournament experience as - at best - a 2.2 and compared that to what Steph Curry will feel, despite the fact that he's a world champion athlete and, so far as I know, you are not. Your situations are not comparable. He will have a better handle on feeling a little pressure and nerves (if he even feels any at all) because he's a world champion athlete who has performed athletic tasks well under extreme pressure on the largest stage. The fact that he's playing "tournament golf" will have far less of an effect on him, given his experience, than it did on you.

Okay, then I guess I should have kept myself & my experiences out of it since I'm not Steph Curry. My bad.

So I'll just state it like this - a 2.2 HCI playing in a web.com event ain't breaking 85. Whether they have championship rings from another sport or not. 

I'll be watching any coverage, and I don't even follow basketball that much. If he is a .6 or whatever, that is still a lot worse than any web.com player, but it will draw a lot of watching. He could end up being a very good celebrity liaison for the game.

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Okay, then I guess I should have kept myself & my experiences out of it since I'm not Steph Curry. My bad.

Zip, don't hurt yourself trying to back out of your earlier comments… :-)

You had to know what you were saying when you said "there's golf, and there's tournament golf." That's why my initial response was simply "yeah, because he's never played sports at a high level."

So no, your experiences weren't all that valid IMO. For Steph Curry, the gap between "golf" and "tournament golf" will not be all that big. That comment deals with the mentality change - the pressure and nerves difference - between goof-around golf and tournament golf.

16 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

So I'll just state it like this - a 2.2 HCI playing in a web.com event ain't breaking 85. Whether they have championship rings from another sport or not. 

That's beside the point. You were commenting on the mental aspects… the pressure, the nerves. Steph has experience handling that in athletics and at a high level. You likely did not.

He might not break 85, but if he fails to do so, it likely won't be because of the nerves/pressure. Jerry Rice shot 83/76 in his first event, IIRC, though Jerry had a stroke or two lower index, I think.

14 minutes ago, mtsalmela80 said:

I'll be watching any coverage, and I don't even follow basketball that much. If he is a .6 or whatever, that is still a lot worse than any web.com player, but it will draw a lot of watching. He could end up being a very good celebrity liaison for the game.

Definitely.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

That's beside the point.

It's not beside my point. I just deviated off on a tangent by invoking myself. 

Any 2.2 is not going to play well in a professional event. Whether it's me, you or Steph Curry. And yes...I will concede that Curry's comfort with the big stage will help him...certainly can't hurt. But he simply doesn't have the game. 

It's a simple point that I needlessly complicated. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Any 2.2 is not going to play well in a professional event. Whether it's me, you or Steph Curry. And yes...I will concede that Curry's comfort with the big stage will help him...certainly can't hurt. But he simply doesn't have the game.

Whatever you say man. You played some medium-level tournament golf, and handled pressure as well as Steph Curry can be expected to, so it's preposterous for me to disagree with you. Cool. We good now?

5 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

It's a simple point that I needlessly complicated. 

The simple point you were making was that "there's golf, then there's tournament golf." It's a comment on the pressure and nerves. I simply replied that Steph Curry was pretty well equipped to handle those. Then you kept going, including comparing himself to you, or whatever that was.

I'm done. You're right, and anyone who disagrees with you is just dumb. Cool by me. You win.

Let's move on now.

@zipazoid-Buddy this is not tournament golf for Curry. He is playing for fun.-He knows he will miss the cut and he is just looking to have an experience that his fame gives him a chance to have.-And yes he will know how to handle any pressure he feels.

As for what I think he will do-He will have fun, Smile, hit some good shots and some foozled shots. He will be cheered when he walks onto greens-It is a hometown game and he is a star.

He will shoot in the 160s-170s probably.-And have a blast doing it.

Good for the sponsors for finding a way to make the news.-We would not be talking about this event at all otherwise.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

4 hours ago, zipazoid said:

I know you're trying to be snarky and sarcastic with this, but ... yeah. You should have. 

8 hours ago, zipazoid said:

Never said that. 

All I did was try to relate it to my experiences playing amateur tournament golf. Of COURSE I am not implying that my experience compares to winning the NBA Championship. I was simply, and only, saying that posting a handicap at your club & playing to that in a tournament are very different. My personal experiences have proved this, irrespective of the level of the stage I was "dinking it around" on.

He won't break 85. 

Maybe he won't! 2.2 handicaps fail to break 85 on tough courses all the time. Not sure why you're so positive about something that's over a month in the future though. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Obviously Curry can handle playing under athletic "pressure" but another thing I think he has going for him is that he's played golf all his life and on his high school team. So it's not a "new" game to him the way it may be to other pro athletes and he's played in some golf competitions.

I hope he plays well but if he shoots anything in the 70's I'd be impressed. Not because of nerves but because of his skill level, he's counting every shot and the course can be tricky. The course plays fairly easy for the pros but there is some trouble if you're offline.

Agree with the BS about him taking a spot, he's not taking any pro golfer's spot. Good pick by the sponsors and it'll be good for Bay Area golf.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 6/30/2017 at 9:44 PM, iacas said:

Yeah. What's Steph Curry know about playing sports under pressure???

Oh! This made a memory come up real strong!

Many years ago I heard a radio interview with Rip Hamilton of the Detroit Pistons. I wasn't a Pistons fan, but Hamilton was a player I liked. The Pistons had made the finals, and Hamilton described a telephone conversation he had with his Dad. His Dad congratulated him on making the finals and wished him luck. Hamilton said he hoped the pressure didn't get to him, and that he'd play well.

His Dad said, something like, "Pressure!? Boy, you ain't got no pressure! Let me tell you what pressure is! Pressure is when you got a Wife and four kids at home, you go to work at the plant on Monday, and they tell you that your job no longer exists! THAT is pressure! Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of you and everything you've accomplished. But you play a kid's game for big money. Just go play like you know how!"

Well, the Pistons won the title and Hamilton played very well. He said his Dad's words really hit home, and did a great job of keeping him grounded.

Of course, Hamilton was playing the game he knew best, while Curry will be playing the game he knows, maybe, second best. Some of these guys from other sports have really nice games. But it's amazing how big a gulf there is between really, really, really, really, really, really good amateurs, and pros!

Edited by Buckeyebowman
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Updating the thread, Steph Curry finished solo fourth at the American Century Celebrity Classic in Tahoe over the weekend, shooting 79-74-68 on the par 72 course. Mark Mulder came in first with scores of 72-69-69. The course plays to about 6700 yards or so, which at elevation, equates to only about 6100 yards or something at sea level. 

68's pretty good in competition with a rowdy crowd and the cameras rolling. 

• Upvote 1

Constantine

13 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Updating the thread, Steph Curry finished solo fourth at the American Century Celebrity Classic in Tahoe over the weekend, shooting 79-74-68 on the par 72 course. Mark Mulder came in first with scores of 72-69-69. The course plays to about 6700 yards or so, which at elevation, equates to only about 6100 yards or something at sea level. 

68's pretty good in competition with a rowdy crowd and the cameras rolling. 

Yeah.  Very solid.  I'm impressed!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 3 weeks later...

OK, this is the week!  Curry is grouped with Stephan Jaeger (defending champion who shot a 58 here last year) and Sam Ryder.  Tomorrow they go off as the second to last group in the morning wave at 8:55am PDT off the 10th hole.

Friday they go off #1 at 2:15pm PDT.

It's a rough week for web.com golf it seems.  There are TWO PGA tour events this week (WGC Firestone and Barracuda), as well as a womens major, so it looks like there is not going to be any TV coverage of this event.

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

so it looks like there is not going to be any TV coverage of this event.

You may not see much of the tournament itself, but Sportscenter will have some highlights (or lowlights) from Curry.
It is interesting that they paired him with the No2 and No3 players in earnings on the Web.com tour this year.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 2463 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!