IGNORED

What part of your body does YOUR swing speed come from?

Note: This thread is 2483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think there are different thoughts on where swing speed actually comes from. I think you can separate it like this.

From the body
This can be trough hip rotation and/or weight transfer (through your legs)

From the arms
I think most will agree that arm rotation by itself is pretty slow.

Form the wirst
Either by actively or passively hinging the wirst and than snapping.

Of course at the end some of those factors will add up. But I think you can only concentrate on one thing at the same time. So I am pretty sure most people have one basic concept they think about when hitting the ball. For me its a combination of shifting my weight and using the wirst (actively) to add more power. on top. This takes place after another and not at the same time. And don't think about hips and arms at all. Probably just shifting my weight and and do the snapping of the wrist more passively would also work. But I have to compare ball speed on this.

Probably this also depends on your body a lot. I have a strong wrist so I can get a lot of power from there. Very athletic people who do body building and stuff like that will probably gain more speed if they think about using their hips. What are your thoughts about this when you swing ?

Edited by yanni

• Administrator

The correct answer for everyone is the arms.

But many don't feel as if that's the case. Their feels are real… to them.

Also, no good players actively snap the wrists.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, iacas said:

That would be casting correct? I'm trying to undo that feel.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, iacas said:

And for me, I can't consciously think 'arms' for power when I swing. The downswing is just too fast to be able to do anything about it. But I think 'turn (backswing) and turn (forward swing)' of the core & let the arms/wrists essentially do their thing. By thinking the big muscles (hips shoulders, legs), the small muscles (arms, wrists) will respond naturally, like a whip - my core is the handle of the whip & the hands/arms are the end of it. That seems to work best for me. If I think arms I start steering the shot instead of a free release.

Edited by zipazoid

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

And for me, I can't consciously think 'arms' for power when I swing. The downswing is just too fast to be able to do anything about it. But I think 'turn (backswing) and turn (forward swing)' of the core & let the arms/wrists essentially do their thing. By thinking the big muscles (hips shoulders, legs), the small muscles (arms, wrists) will respond naturally, like a whip - my core is the handle of the whip & the hands/arms are the end of it. That seems to work best for me. If I think arms I start steering the shot instead of a free release.

Right. That's the feeling… for you.

Your arms count as big muscles, btw. Even mine count that way.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right. That's the feeling… for you.

Your arms count as big muscles, btw. Even mine count that way.

Sure. I'm trying to describe the feeling I try to achieve from the top - start with lower body (I think 'bump the hip') then just let the shoulders turn. I don't think arms at all. Seems when I do, that's when I get into steering the hit. I'm just wanting the stored energy released in a natural way. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, zipazoid said:

Sure. I'm trying to describe the feeling I try to achieve from the top - start with lower body (I think 'bump the hip') then just let the shoulders turn. I don't think arms at all. Seems when I do, that's when I get into steering the hit. I'm just wanting the stored energy released in a natural way. 

I know. Look at the first paragraph in my prior post. :-D

I agreed with you, but wanted to point out that it's your feeling only, and while it's very real to you, that's what it is - your feeling - and you keep responding as if we're arguing or disagreeing. No need. We agree.

(edited)

Even if its more about a feeling I find it very interesting what other people feel or think of when they swing.  Everybody seems to have different thoughts about this.

Edited by yanni
  • Upvote 1

My mental image is the exact opposite.  If I attempt, consciously, to increase the speed of anything (hips, torso, arms, or hands) I get the feeling that I'm using up energy that would otherwise be available for the club head.  

• Upvote 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

My swing is all arms. It's the only feel I use for speed, sequencing, path, clubface control, etc. Everything.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Mine is mostly arms on my full swing shots with a little body rotation thrown in. Maybe gain a little more speed with my lag, and club head release through impact.

On my shorter, short game shots, it's pretty much all arms. I might add in a  little more body rotation on longer pitch shots. 

All things considered, my arms do most of the work, most of the time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

If you ask me, it comes from talent, kind of like your natural running ability - some with a little practice can run a 6 minute mile, some need a year to get to that. ;-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

If you ask me, it comes from talent, kind of like your natural running ability - some with a little practice can run a 6 minute mile, some need a year to get to that. ;-)

And most never do... ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

46 minutes ago, David in FL said:

And most never do... ;-) 

That's the line of thought that makes me question whether I should be playing golf or not.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

11 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

That's the line of thought that makes me question whether I should be playing golf or not.

OT, but it's not about athletic talent, it's about whether or not you enjoy the game.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Great thread. I'm going to try and think about my upper arms at the range. My brain wandered off onto some other thoughts last couple of weeks, e.g., shoulders, wrists.. and those thoughts were not good for my swing. 

4 hours ago, zipazoid said:

This is pretty much me.....

Note: This thread is 2483 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!