IGNORED

Tamping down ball mark without first fixing with tool?

Alan In AK
Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

39 minutes ago, Alan In AK said:

The rules say you can fix a ball mark on your line of putt but do you first have to use a ball mark tool or can you just use your putter to tamp down a ball mark?

Usually one will do a better repair with a tool followed by a tapping down.  Often, just tapping down the mark makes the surface level but it does not allow for rapid healing of the mark.  That being said, there is no Rule requiring one to repair a mark in a specific manner.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, please take 10 seconds and properly repair the ball mark.  When done putting, kindly go around and fix any others you see.  That's how my dad taught me, but obviously not how everyone was taught. 

• Upvote 2

One of my playing partners taps down his marks. I am not sure it works the best and annoys me a little...but it's small potatoes for all the other things he does to annoy me.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• iacas changed the title to Tamping down ball mark without first fixing with tool?

The guys I play with annoy the heck out out of me by just tapping down ball marks.  I have always fixed mine as @bkuehn1952 stated and fixed at least one additional mark.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

If its a big dent I'll knock the sand/dirt back in place with the back side of my putter, then repair the ball mark, then "dress" the repair by tapping down.  I don't think the exact sequence is important so long as the end result is satisfactory.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Robbyboy said:

Yeah, please take 10 seconds and properly repair the ball mark.  When done putting, kindly go around and fix any others you see.  That's how my dad taught me, but obviously not how everyone was taught. 

You and me both! On some courses I fix a half dozen ball marks per green! I hate them. Sometimes I think the game has been taken over by hillbillies!

And how does tamping down take care of the depression in the green? You'd better be tamping with a sledgehammer. I learned my lesson long ago playing in a match. I stroked a putt that was rolling perfectly to the hole. Then it suddenly jumped 6" in the air and died away short of the hole. I walked up my line and found an unrepaired ball mark! Yes, learned a big lesson there!

• Upvote 1

I guess I wasn't clear about the reason I asked. During a round, if a player is ready to putt and they tamp the old ball mark down, are they in violation of the rules if they don't first use a tool? As in grounding the putter on the line of putt.

Just now, Alan In AK said:

I guess I wasn't clear about the reason I asked. During a round, if a player is ready to putt and they tamp the old ball mark down, are they in violation of the rules if they don't first use a tool? As in grounding the putter on the line of putt.

I've seen Tour players point out a ball mark to their fellow competitors, asking if they can fix it to their satisfaction. I figure that's the way to go. If you're seen just tamping down unseen things, it might be thought that you are tamping down spike marks which, as far as I know, is still illegal.

11 minutes ago, Alan In AK said:

I think you can as long as your opponent agrees that it is a ball mark.

Edited by Valleygolfer

2 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I think you can as long as your opponent agrees that it is a ball mark.

I'm leaning towards it being ok too, just get confused by what "repair" means. My feeling is that in order to repair, you should be using a ball mark tool first. I guess using a putter would also be considered repairing if you were to split hairs, just never have seen a definitive answer. Thanks. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Alan In AK said:

I'm leaning towards it being ok too, just get confused by what "repair" means. My feeling is that in order to repair, you should be using a ball mark tool first. I guess using a putter would also be considered repairing if you were to split hairs, just never have seen a definitive answer. Thanks. 

The method of repair is completely irrelevant as far as the rules are concerned.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, Alan In AK said:

I would not be surprised if the pros fix a lot of "phantom" ball marks that could be any anomaly and there is a common no questions asked to ensure a smooth surface for everyone.

Most people "fix" ball marks improperly.  They dig in from the sides and lift.  That tears the roots and kills the grass.  It does more damage than good.  

The correct method is to gently pull the displaced turf back over the indentation, and then finish by tamping it down.  Depending on the severity of the mark, that can sometimes be done quickly and just as effectively using only the putter.  And again, it's much better than the improper technique that you generally see...  

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, Alan In AK said:

If you are asking about touching you line of putt, there is no breach if you are simply tamping down a ball mark. Tamping it down is a method of repairing it. Probably not the best way but a way.

I always (at least usually, perhaps I've missed one or two) fix un-repaired ball marks properly.  However, there are occasions when I find a previously repaired ball mark in my line, and for those I'll usually tamp it down just to be sure its smooth.  I don't see a need to completely redo the original repair.  And as many others have said, the method of repair for ball marks is not specified in the RoG.  

For those who are interested, the first mention I can find concerning repair of ball marks was from the 1960 R&A Rules:

c. Repair of Ball Marks. 
The player may repair damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball but he may not step on the damaged area. The ball may be lifted to permit repair and shall be replaced on the spot from which it was lifted. 
If a ball be moved during such repair, it shall be replaced, without penalty. 

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

5 hours ago, David in FL said:

Most people "fix" ball marks improperly.  They dig in from the sides and lift.  That tears the roots and kills the grass.  It does more damage than good.  

The correct method is to gently pull the displaced turf back over the indentation, and then finish by tamping it down.  Depending on the severity of the mark, that can sometimes be done quickly and just as effectively using only the putter.  And again, it's much better than the improper technique that you generally see...  

I agree that a lot of players have no clue about how to properly fix a ball mark. Here is a great video from the USGA  that not only shows the right way but the common mistake of digging in and lifting which as you state is a root killer. How to fix a ball mark

• Upvote 1

Most guys I play with just tap it down with a tool. It looks like they are checking a cake with a toothpick.

I go in at a shallow angle with my tool and push/squish forward (the Titleist tool has a little bump that makes this easy) without breaking the root, then I tamp it down with a putter. And then if I see another one, I will fix that one too. 

I watched a YouTube on how to properly fix pitch marks when I first started playing. My reasoning was if I was going to be a lousy golfer I could at least by polite and considerate golfer. Now it's just a habit to fix them. 

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2471 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!