IGNORED

impact position, is this bad?

Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

quick question here......i still have ALOT to learn but im primarily working on getting weight forward, forward shaft lean, and what the hips are doing during all of this. i still have tons of baseball (casting and not moving forward) in me and these things are plaguing me. so i think this is wrong but i found a way to kinda do all this for me with 1 or 2 thoughts in mind. 

so down to the question......is it ok for me to be making impact as my trail hip passes the ball? or the fact that im making sure my trail hip/elbow stay basically "connected" from backswing up until impact? it may not be ideal, i dunno, but these 2 things seem to force me to be way more forward and keep my hands at least slightly ahead of the clubhead.

i shot about 12 strokes better than my last 6 games and didnt have near as many fat shots

TL:DR: Is it bad to have your trail hip perpendicular to the ball/target line at impact

I think this might be your "feel" for the shot, but not actual reality. When I was hitting my irons right on the button, it "felt" to me almost like I was hitting the ball with my right hip! A video would explain a lot. But hey, if it's working for you, why mess with success?

It just sounds to me like you're learning to clear your hips to make room for your arms to swing through.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, NoobSwingz said:

quick question here......i still have ALOT to learn but im primarily working on getting weight forward, forward shaft lean, and what the hips are doing during all of this. i still have tons of baseball (casting and not moving forward) in me and these things are plaguing me. so i think this is wrong but i found a way to kinda do all this for me with 1 or 2 thoughts in mind. 

so down to the question......is it ok for me to be making impact as my trail hip passes the ball? or the fact that im making sure my trail hip/elbow stay basically "connected" from backswing up until impact? it may not be ideal, i dunno, but these 2 things seem to force me to be way more forward and keep my hands at least slightly ahead of the clubhead.

i shot about 12 strokes better than my last 6 games and didnt have near as many fat shots

TL:DR: Is it bad to have your trail hip perpendicular to the ball/target line at impact

Most pro swings have their hips open at impact, so I think it is fine. But that is just a guess without a photo or video.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Having the hips open to a certain degree is a good thing. I suspect that having them too open will require compensations in the swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

3 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Having the hips open to a certain degree is a good thing. I suspect that having them too open will require compensations in the swing. 

Sometimes having them really open is the compensation, like Furyk or McIlroy.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

sounds good....just wanted to make sure i wasnt practicing bad habits! if it wasnt for this, im not sure i would ever have my hands in front of club head lol

The problem with getting the hips very open is that your right heel will go up at impact with an iron, when it's supposed to stay down and rolled.

A drill that Jack Nicklaus did from his coach Jack Grout was hitting shots with a 5-iron (now a 6-iron) without the back heel ever going off the ground.

Frankie

8 minutes ago, golfdu said:

The problem with getting the hips very open is that your right heel will go up at impact with an iron, when it's supposed to stay down and rolled.

A drill that Jack Nicklaus did from his coach Jack Grout was hitting shots with a 5-iron (now a 6-iron) without the back heel ever going off the ground.

Some PGA Tour players let their right heel come up. The right foot plays little to no part in the golf swing. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

11 hours ago, golfdu said:

I respectfully disagree. See this picture of Justin Thomas, one of the most impressive guys on Tour in my opinion when looking at the distance he generates compared to his physical size. Right foot clearly off the ground, and hips open at impact.

unnamed.thumb.png.fef19f44b1a4fd0e379799a54c2f01a8.png

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

They're Tour players guys, they've been doing that for far longer than any of us on this thread combined. Amateurs cannot consistently do that action without early extending or any other compensations, that's why the 5SK instructors recommend the back heel being down on the ground and rolled at impact with an iron.

Frankie

11 minutes ago, golfdu said:

They're Tour players guys, they've been doing that for far longer than any of us on this thread combined. Amateurs cannot consistently do that action without early extending or any other compensations

First, the 5SK is based on 5 traits PGA Tour players do well. So doing things they have done far longer than us can be a good thing. We are not talking about copying Jim Furyk here. If the back heel coming off the ground isn't hurting the golf swing it isn't something that needs to be worried about.

Here is a thread showing early extension isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Yeah, need video to confirm. Hips open is good generally, but trail hip passing ball at impact, that's not what Justin Thomas or most players are doing, the way I interpret it, their hips pass the ball well past impact. Trail hip still behind the ball here for JT:

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 12.51.00 PM.png

Actually, I was just watching this yesterday, this is trail hip passing the ball at impact.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

2 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Actually, I was just watching this yesterday, this is trail hip passing the ball at impact.

That looks to me like too much hip slide as an attempt to counter the flip/roll with the hands. Not the ideal way to come into impact IMO.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

28 minutes ago, golfdu said:

Jack in the 60's

IMG_1994.JPG

I thought Jack had his left leg pretty close to extended at or shortly after impact.  This picture looks unusual, maybe not a full swing, maybe a punch shot?

This is more what I think of for Jack, hips open, back heal up, left leg extended.  He was a long ball hitter in his day, makes sense he swings this way.

hogan-nicklaus-at-impact.png

5 hours ago, golfdu said:

They're Tour players guys, they've been doing that for far longer than any of us on this thread combined. Amateurs cannot consistently do that action without early extending or any other compensations, that's why the 5SK instructors recommend the back heel being down on the ground and rolled at impact with an iron.

My evolvr instructor never told me that.  My heel comes up.

Edited by No Mulligans

1 hour ago, billchao said:

That looks to me like too much hip slide as an attempt to counter the flip/roll with the hands. Not the ideal way to come into impact IMO.

Yeah, it looks funky to me, disconnect between upper and lower body but who am I to say, will have to let the pros speak to it. Trail hip is at/passing ball, which is what OP was saying it felt like.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 5.01.30 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

I thought Jack had his left leg pretty close to extended at or shortly after impact.  This picture looks unusual, maybe not a full swing, maybe a punch shot?

I thought the same thing. Looks like it's some kind of wedge or short iron. I've seen swings of his where he rolls onto the side of his right foot with shorter clubs.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Yeah, it looks funky to me, disconnect between upper and lower body but who am I to say, will have to let the pros speak to it. Trail hip is at/passing ball, which is what OP was saying it felt like.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 5.01.30 PM.png

Don't get me wrong, he's a much better golfer than I am. I'm just saying that's not how I see most high level golfers drive/rotate. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2472 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!