IGNORED

Do you keep close watch on your score during a round?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you know where you are at in a round?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know your score when playing a round?

• Yes. I keep track of where I am at relative to par or I check my scorecard every hole.
    • No. I enter my score but do know where I stand in a round.
    • I do a little of both depending on the situation

I don't add up my score, but I mostly know where I am. Since my primary goal is to pay bogie golf right now I typically know where I stand against bogie....so if I go par, bogey, bogey on the first three holes, in my head I am one under par. That gives me a sense of where I stand relative to 90 and I am content with that. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think for most it depends on what you shoot, when I was just starting out I didn't care, just wrote down the score and moved on because it was high as it was and a little harder to track those higher numbers...lol. As I moved into being a single digit handicap I just knew where I was an now I'm a low single digit and generally right around par, without even paying attention I know where I am, I just don't put any stock into and play each hole one at a time.

In regards to tracking handicap, the recent change has been really hard for me, I don't play rounds with others very often and the guy I tend to play with the most, we do a lot of practice round, multiple balls, fun games, things like that. So the change has drastically cut how many rounds I can submit, however, it really hasn't had an effect, less scores but still about the same overall.

I don't even try to think about it, but I always know where I stand in relation to par at any given point during the round.   I don't even need to write my scores down.  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

44 on the front, par, par , bogey, bogey on the back, started watching the scorecard (also started thundering in the distance and raining) after 13 and ended up needing bogeys on 17 and 18 for an 89 (still haven't broken 90). Hit my 7i to about 15-20 feet on 17 but wussed out on my first putt and probably only got it halfway there and 3 putted for bogey. 18, hit driver into treeline, punched out, hit 8i to fringe about 20-25 feet away but this time blew it by the hole and my 15 foot putt for an 89 came up a foot short. Alot of things to blame there but looking at the scorecard definitely played a factor....90 is still a personal best tho

• Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 5 months later...

I've noticed I do better when I don't pay close attention.This really seems to let me focus on my current hole and I'm not reflecting on what had happened earlier.

Qudoes to the gentleman that basically said keep your sand trap shut since your not paying attention to what's being said?

I check it after 9 holes, and then usually with 3 to play to get a since if I should change anything my strategy over the finishing stretch to get something done. And then tally them all up at the end! 

I write down fairways, score, and putts, and if I'm playing decent for me I kinda know how close to bogey I am, but I don't add until the end.  Once I had a super great round going (and of course I knew I was playing better than ever), and around #15 or 16, my husband added my score and started getting really antsy.  He asked if I knew my score and I said, "no, and don't tell me," but I could tell by his expression it was amazing. It got in my head, and I doubled those final holes for an 83.  Still that was my lowest ever score, but shit, don't get a number in your head, dude!

JUST. THIS. SHOT.

Barbara

www.golfgirl.net 

I do not add up the score on my card until after I play 18. However, when I play my 9 hole course twice while using GameGolf, I have to upload my first 9 holes before tracking my second 9.

I can usually tell where I'm sitting by the number of blow-up holes in each 9. With one or two, it's possible to keep it under 50. With 3 or more, there's almost no chance.

For those who can recall their scores on each hole of an 18 hole round, I envy that ability as my memory is just horrible. I keep telling myself maybe I'm not bad at golf, I just have trouble counting to 4... or 5.... or 8.

Jon

• 1 month later...

I always know hole by hole how many over I am...I try to do no worse than a par every three holes, with nothing worse than bogey...when I can chip and putt, this gets me just under 80...when I can’t it balloons to mid 80s...I usually shoot right around 80, but I am a white tees player...

I always know my score but I never keep tabs on where I stand in a match. That I don't care to know.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

I only use a scorecard when playing w others.

I do keep a running tally in my head. Every round.  I wish I could just forget about the score but its mostly simple that is hard to ignore.

Depends. Usually not, don’t really care until the end. Sometimes, I do if I’m in a match and I keep track of everyone else’s scores as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 2/24/2018 at 6:24 AM, NEhomer said:

I always know my score but I never keep tabs on where I stand in a match. That I don't care to know.

This seems to me like a curious answer.  If I'm in a match, I find it far more important to know how I stand against my opponent.  Whether I'm up or down in the match can affect how I choose to play certain holes.  There are many situations where the state of the match and the relative positions of our 2 balls may influence how I play my next shot. 

Unless you misspoke and you aren't actually talking about match play, in which case you aren't actually "in a match".  If you are playing stroke play, then you aren't playing a match.  When talking golf on a forum like this using the correct terminology is key to communicating your ideas.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

2 hours ago, Fourputt said:

This seems to me like a curious answer.  If I'm in a match, I find it far more important to know how I stand against my opponent.  Whether I'm up or down in the match can affect how I choose to play certain holes.  There are many situations where the state of the match and the relative positions of our 2 balls may influence how I play my next shot. 

Unless you misspoke and you aren't actually talking about match play, in which case you aren't actually "in a match".  If you are playing stroke play, then you aren't playing a match.  When talking golf on a forum like this using the correct terminology is key to communicating your ideas.

I didn't misspeak.

For many years I've played in 9 hole match play leagues. I play well enough to not lose track of my position relative to par thus I know my score. I stated that I don't care to know where I stand in a match. Of course the current hole dictates play but that's the status of the hole, not the match. I'm shooting for a score at all times and knowing whether I'm up or down in the match won't inform me of anything that's going to influence my play. 

When talking golf on a forum like this assuming the correct terminology is key to understanding someone's ideas.

Lol! C'mon man, you had to expect that one :beer:

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

2 hours ago, NEhomer said:

I didn't misspeak.

For many years I've played in 9 hole match play leagues. I play well enough to not lose track of my position relative to par thus I know my score. I stated that I don't care to know where I stand in a match. Of course the current hole dictates play but that's the status of the hole, not the match. I'm shooting for a score at all times and knowing whether I'm up or down in the match won't inform me of anything that's going to influence my play. 

When talking golf on a forum like this assuming the correct terminology is key to understanding someone's ideas.

Lol! C'mon man, you had to expect that one :beer:

If you knew the hundreds of times the words "match" and "partner" have been misused here, you wouldn't wonder at my question. ;-)

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 2251 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!