IGNORED

GolfTec Numbers (Golf Digest Aug. '17)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good information.

I took a lesson at a local Golf Tech and then stopped because of how they focused on getting me close to or on the average.  Nothing felt right in my swing during the lesson.  I'm not not athletic, but I know I don't compare and will never compare to these guys on tour.

The lesson wasn't a waste though, he gave me some really good tips on hitting out of a bunker that have really helped my sand game.  I haven't had to hit out of the same bunker twice since.

The one number I do focus on is shoulder tilt in the backswing at the top, but not necessarily the degree of tilt.  I focus on trying to get my shoulders/arms 90 degrees to my spine.  I've been known to be very flat with the shoulder turn even though I have the proper spine angle at setup.

Thanks for sharing, good explanation of each measurement.

Yes you have to be careful with averages but it still drives the point home. What I like is that regardless of how a player's swing looks or their swing "style", they're all doing these pieces well.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Hip Turn at Impact

Pros: 36° open to the target line
Ams: 19.5° open

That's a pretty big gap.  I had a lesson a long time ago where the guy wanted everyone to get back to square at impact. Maybe that sort of thinking goes to your comment about this applying more to better players. 

Shoulder Tilt at Impact

Pros: 39° upward (face-on view)
Ams: 27.5°

Would this number vary quite a bit through the bag (wedge to driver)?  Seems like maybe the driver swing in particular could have more. 

6 hours ago, mvmac said:

What I like is that regardless of how a player's swing looks or their swing "style", they're all doing these pieces well.

Good point. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Hip Sway (Backswing)

Pros: 3.9" toward the target
Hip Sway at Impact

Pros: 1.6" toward the target

So the tailbone is closer to the target at the end of the backswing than at impact? Or are these measuring something different?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Thanks for sharing, @iacas.

15 hours ago, iacas said:

Everyone's built differently. Averages account for all body types, all shot shapes, all types of swings. You know how if they take the average measurements of models and build a "model model," it's not all that attractive? The same can be true of striving to get the "average PGA Tour golf swing numbers." You might end up with something that's pretty, but you'd never get Cindy Crawford's mole.

I feel like this is a pretty important point. I see people striving to achieve these types of numbers as an ideal model when it's just averages of many different people. There may not even be a single player that hits all of these exactly. What's important is recognizing commonalities and knowing how to use that information to improve.

3 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

So the tailbone is closer to the target at the end of the backswing than at impact?

Yes. The hips close during the backswing and the tailbone gets closer to the target. The hips open in the downswing and the tailbone gets farther away from the target. The reason the tailbone is ahead of its address position at impact is because the hips slide.

If the tailbone is closer to the target at A7 than at A4 and the hips are opening properly, it could be the result of too much sliding which can cause other issues.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 7/22/2017 at 6:33 AM, Missouri Swede said:

So the tailbone is closer to the target at the end of the backswing than at impact? Or are these measuring something different?

For right handed players, given you are rotating around your spines position... I'm thinking it must be the right hip bone (or think right back pocket if you will) is moving closer to the target during the backswing.  The left hip bone is moving away from the target during the backswing.

Edited by No Mulligans

1 hour ago, No Mulligans said:

For right handed players, given you are rotating around your spines position... I'm thinking it must be the right hip bone (or think right back pocket if you will) is moving closer to the target during the backswing.  The left hip bone is moving away from the target during the backswing.

Failure to execute this movement correctly can, at times, result in a significant lightening of one or the other back pocket.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• 3 weeks later...

So while further studying some numbers in the GolfTEC Swing Tru motion study, I got confused about some numbers that don't seem adequately explained in the article or two I've read. I believe I know the answer but wanted to be sure I wasn't misinterpreting something. In the category of hip sway: top position the pro golfer had 3.9" of sway towards the target at the top of the backswing, however; in the category of hip sway: impact position the pro had just 1.6" of sway towards the target.

What gives? To determine the total amount of sway at impact are we supposed to add both of these numbers i.e. 3.9" plus 1.6" to get 5.5"? 

7 hours ago, Grizvok said:

What gives? To determine the total amount of sway at impact are we supposed to add both of these numbers i.e. 3.9" plus 1.6" to get 5.5"? 

No. The tailbone is closer to the target at A4 than at impact.

The 3.9" and 1.6" are both measured from their initial position at address.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

No. The tailbone is closer to the target at A4 than at impact.

The 3.9" and 1.6" are both measured from their initial position at address.

Thanks. Looks like I should've just given this thread a thorough read. After the first time reading through it I went to GolfTEC's site where they were ambiguous about how it was measured.

Note: This thread is 2446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!