IGNORED

Carts in your yard? Suggestions

scotth
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So we live right on the green of a Country Club that allows daily play for a fee to nonmembers.  Lately every weekend they have been hosting some type of best ball team tournament and we have had golf carts in our back yard, side yard, front yard.   I don't mind if a golfer hits the ball OB and walks into the yard to get his ball, but draw the line at driving your cart on my property.  They white OB stakes run all along the course about every 20 yards so seem pretty obvious (at least to me).

We have also had a very wet spring and summer so said carts in yard turn into being able to see where they drove for days after each event.  Calling the club and talking to the pro shop has not done anything.  

I sort of hit my point where I feel like I need to do something when a golfer drove on our property and parked by our fence so he could stand on seat and use his ball retrieval device (something I think no self respecting golfer should own) to fish his ball out of our dog run.  He then dropped the ball and dug a good sized divot in the sod we just had installed this spring.

When I asked what the heck he thought he was doing acted like he didn't understand what he had done wrong and drove back on course and parked on other side of green.  

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  

Edited by scotth

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I live on a course too and I am fine with someone walking into my yard to retrieve a ball but that's it. If someone drove a cart on my property I would say something and if they played a ball off my lawn I might just lose it on them. I have a neighbor who put in some stakes and ran line to barricade his lawn and he has signs that say "no trespassing, under surveillance". You may be able to get away with that but not sure depending on HOA rules. I would at a minimum post some signs close to edge of property that say "private property-no carts"

4 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I have a neighbor who put in some stakes and ran line to barricade his lawn

Been thinking very seriously about that today.  

Did he spend the extra money to get fancy stakes that you can buy from golf course supply places, or just get some wood stakes from a hardware store? Hate to make it look not so nice since I will be looking at it all the time.

BTW was fairly impressed with myself that I didn't lose it on golfer that took divot from yard. :)

Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex, Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff

Hard to detour idiots, but the golf shop should be able to tell golfers to not drive carts into people's yards, but you can't fix stupid.  You probably need to put up some signs like @Gator Hazard indicated.  I have never seen anyone doing that, but I know I would say something if I saw it.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

25 minutes ago, scotth said:

When I asked what the heck he thought he was doing acted like he didn't understand what he had done wrong and drove back on course and parked on other side of green.  

To be fair, he may not have understood that he did anything wrong.

You live there.  You understand what and where the stakes are.  I assume you are a golfer, since you are on this site.  He, however, may just be a friend of a golfer who really doesn't know any better.

IMO, the best thing you can do is provide better information to these weekend players by putting up stakes (at least on the weekend) so they know they cannot do this.

Edited by MRR

Just spitballing some ideas, not sure if they are viable or not:

• Is it possible to send the repair bills to the club and ask them to pay at least some of the damages?
  • Tie some rope or something along the OB stakes to put a physical barrier (albeit a minor one) and clearly mark "private property, no trespassing"
  • Set up a trail cam, collect photos of the culprits to take with you to the Pro Shop, see if they can possibly identify them
  • Fence in your property in a manner so they can't drive onto it
  • Build a moat

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Just now, MRR said:

To be fair, he may not have understood that he did anything wrong.

The cart was practically touching my wood deck and as close to chain link fence as he could get. Even if he missed the prominent white out of bound stakes the course has put up, don't see how he didn't know he was on private property at that point.

Just now, scotth said:

The cart was practically touching my wood deck and as close to chain link fence as he could get. Even if he missed the prominent white out of bound stakes the course has put up, don't see how he didn't know he was on private property at that point.

I don't doubt that.  But he may have honestly thought he was allowed to hit from someone's yard.  You and I know that you cannot, but the friend of a friend who is simply talked into golfing one day may not.

Irrespective of that, I still cannot get past the fact that he took a divot out of your yard without apology.

1 minute ago, MRR said:

Irrespective of that, I still cannot get past the fact that he took a divot out of your yard without apology.

Me either.  I was completely dumbfounded and speechless.  Which if you ever talked to my wife she would tell you how rare that is.

Been thinking it is time for signs and the stakes with rope, just hated the idea I might be turning into the grumpy old man yelling get off my lawn!!

My local course has the back nine that drapes thru a subdivision.   The course or the owners have posted signed strategically along the cart path which almost prohibit carts from driving onto the owner's lawn.    

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

2nd amendment

• Like 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Just now, Hacker James said:

2nd amendment

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Just spitballing some ideas, not sure if they are viable or not:

• Is it possible to send the repair bills to the club and ask them to pay at least some of the damages?
  • Tie some rope or something along the OB stakes to put a physical barrier (albeit a minor one) and clearly mark "private property, no trespassing"
  • Set up a trail cam, collect photos of the culprits to take with you to the Pro Shop, see if they can possibly identify them
  • Fence in your property in a manner so they can't drive onto it
  • Build a moat

+ 1 on the moat idea  

Maybe kick it up a notch with signs that say: "drive on private property at your own risk" then lay some sections of tire shredders like the police put out to stop cars a few feet in on the property. 

I suppose land mines are out of the question?

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

What's wrong with planting a tall row of hedges?  Then, not only can they not drive on your lawn, they can't get their ball either.

Otherwise, you could put up a nice chain fence (I don't think that's the name; just stakes with a chain between them) about 3 feet off the ground.  That wouldn't be too obstructing and get the point across that they shouldn't drive over there.  

Or something like this: Iron Garden Edge

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!