IGNORED

Anyone Play a Driving Iron?

I got a 24 degree Adams Pro DHY for 10 dollars. Considering I can only hit it 205, and I usually play 6800 yard courses and up, is there any point of this club?  Not many 350 yard holes

1 hour ago, StefanUrkel said:

I got a 24 degree Adams Pro DHY for 10 dollars. Considering I can only hit it 205, and I usually play 6800 yard courses and up, is there any point of this club?  Not many 350 yard holes

The key is $10 that you paid for the club.

That pretty much sums up the utility of that club, and for many of us, 205 is about what a decent 4i shot can do.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not a true driving iron, but I use a 4i for tight tee shots when my 4 hybrid is not working.

On longer par 3 holes earlier this week, I hit one green and had a tap-in up and down par from off the fringe on the other.

Once in a while, I have a 21° Adams DHY I put in on windy days. Mine is kind of like a 3.5 iron, It also plays double duty when I carry 5 wedges, which is once in a great while.

Edited by onthehunt526

On 8/30/2017 at 2:18 PM, Lihu said:

The key is $10 that you paid for the club.

That pretty much sums up the utility of that club, and for many of us, 205 is about what a decent 4i shot can do.

That's kind of what I was thinking. What is a "driving iron" doing with 24 degrees of loft?! That's a 4 iron!

I've bought more than a few "driving irons" from purveyors of thrift.  Two three bucks...why not?  They work fine if your primary consideration is dollars per yard.  

12 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

That's kind of what I was thinking. What is a "driving iron" doing with 24 degrees of loft?! That's a 4 iron!

What's funny is that some paid $200 for something like that. . .I tried a used one out but was able to sell it back for the same price because it belonged to some famous baseball player. :-P

I've had an Adams Idea A12 in the 4 iron replacement for a few years now.  I have a low swing path and that thing picks it up and throws it a long way which I find excellent for par 5s and the odd long par 3.  Long par 4s into wind is another place when my lower ball flight on this hybrid really helps get through the wind.  I have often toyed with the idea of a driving iron but the Adams works too well for me to start fiddling about.

I think it all comes down to how I swing it, and everyone will have a different preference based on their swing and what they like to see in their shots. 

I am playing a Apex 2 hybrid is that a driving iron?  I don't carry a fairway wood and that is my goto club to hit the fairway (or have better odds of it anyway.)

I've only played the old driving iron. Nearly identical to a 1 iron, but wider sole. They were popular twenty years or so ago. My first set of irons had 1 - SW, also the woods were 1,2,3,4,5. (Laminated Maple). The SW were sometimes labeled 10 iron. Specialty clubs such as "the Ginty". (Stan Thompson ?). Modern day relief clubs usually have rails,such as Cobra Baffler.

Edited by Hacker James

• 1 month later...
  • iacas changed the title to Anyone Play a Driving Iron?