IGNORED

Whatever happened to.........?

RussUK
Note: This thread is 2351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One of my favourite pub quiz topics is the one hit wonders. Those "next big thing" that had one hit then dissapreared before apprearing "in a pub near you!".

I've noticed a number of golfers do the same (apart from the pub near you bit). Which golfer did you put money on (actual or metaphorical) being the next big thing who then dissapeared?

Me? Tom Lewis. After his heroics at the 2011 Open and winning the Walker cup the same year i thought he would be the next big English player. My prediction got off to a good start with a win at the 2011 Portugal open.......then it all went pear shaped! Didnt play a major till the 2014 US Open (missed cut) then eventually lost his card. Getting it back by finishing T11 at 2016 Q School. Less than stellar.

Luckily no money was lost and i decided to leave the predictions to Nostradamus!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

when i was growing up, I lived about 3 minutes from the golf course that hosted the PGA Tours BC Open, now hosts Champions Tour Dicks Sporting Goods Open, but my parents used to buy me full week Mon-Sun passes and drop me off the the morning and pick me up late in the afternoon, loved just walking around and watching.  Anyway, one year, there was all this talk about this "incredibly talented, next big thing" a "child prodigy" or something (idk I was like, 14 maybe) and he received a sponsors exemption I believe into the field and I went and watched him play for a while... but yea, he never really made it..... Ty Tryon.  Idk if he was really a "one hit wonder" but he does fit with the question "whatever happened to...?" Lol.

Edited by Chris223

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Todd Hamilton? -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Danny Willet, Mike Campbell, Mike Weir, Ben Curtis, Two-Glove Tommy, Anthony Kim...kinda just lingered around or disappeared altogether. Maybe too soon on Willet...but he's headed that way.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Robert Wrenn - winner of 1987 Buick Open in Grand Blanc, MI.   26 under.   He established the tournament record of 262 (26-under-par), which still stands.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

13 hours ago, Chris223 said:

when i was growing up, I lived about 3 minutes from the golf course that hosted the PGA Tours BC Open, now hosts Champions Tour Dicks Sporting Goods Open, but my parents used to buy me full week Mon-Sun passes and drop me off the the morning and pick me up late in the afternoon, loved just walking around and watching.  Anyway, one year, there was all this talk about this "incredibly talented, next big thing" a "child prodigy" or something (idk I was like, 14 maybe) and he received a sponsors exemption I believe into the field and I went and watched him play for a while... but yea, he never really made it..... Ty Tryon.  Idk if he was really a "one hit wonder" but he does fit with the question "whatever happened to...?" Lol.

Ty Tryon is still plugging away on the mini tours. See HERE

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Anthony Kim is one of the biggest wastes of talent I can remember.  

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

1 hour ago, poser said:

Anthony Kim is one of the biggest wastes of talent I can remember.  

Not at the club... lol.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

On 9/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, Vinsk said:

Danny Willet, Mike Campbell, Mike Weir, Ben Curtis, Two-Glove Tommy, Anthony Kim...kinda just lingered around or disappeared altogether. Maybe too soon on Willet...but he's headed that way.

Anthony Kim is a strange case. Apparently if he makes another dollar from a golf tournament, he has to forfeit his insurance money worth about $20,000,000.00+, money he got from his insurance after an injury.

Mike Weird, and Justin Lenard too, I don't think can compete today.... MAINLY because they don't have the length....would be my guess. I guess you can put Y.E. Yang in the same category.........just a hunch.

In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunter Mahan...

he was up on the LB this past weekend at the Safeway but wow he's slowly but surely become an unknown, I don't even see his Ace Hardware commercials anymore 

37 minutes ago, Undr Par said:

Hunter Mahan...

he was up on the LB this past weekend at the Safeway but wow he's slowly but surely become an unknown, I don't even see his Ace Hardware commercials anymore 

Well he’s been on the  Web.com tour for the past few months or more. I didn’t even know until I tuned in to one of their tourneys and there he was.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Probably  too far back, but I used to like to watch Tom Wargo (or at least I think that's his name) on the seniors tour. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

22 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Well he’s been on the  Web.com tour for the past few months or more. I didn’t even know until I tuned in to one of their tourneys and there he was.

that's kinda my response this weekend when tuning into coverage of the Safeway Open when I saw his name up on the LB...he actually finished in the top 20 I believe, I remembering thinking to myself  "now that's a name I haven't seen in a long time"

Edited by Undr Par

On 9/25/2017 at 9:00 AM, BallMarker said:

Anthony Kim is a strange case. Apparently if he makes another dollar from a golf tournament, he has to forfeit his insurance money worth about $20,000,000.00+, money he got from his insurance after an injury.

Yeah, Sports Illustrated did a story on Kim a few years ago...he had an insurance policy against a career-ending injury.  An IMG source stated its value at $10 million, tax-free. Kim's friend, who has had financial discussions with him, said, "It's significantly north of that. Not quite 20, but close."  Apparently, if he takes one swing on the PGA Tour, the policy is voided.  He denies this though.  

This is one of the more recent pics of him:

images.jpg.6f1a7f8ff7e38f7ac274f5a648a4ebba.jpg

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

9 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

Yeah, Sports Illustrated did a story on Kim a few years ago...he had an insurance policy against a career-ending injury.  An IMG source stated its value at $10 million, tax-free. Kim's friend, who has had financial discussions with him, said, "It's significantly north of that. Not quite 20, but close."  Apparently, if he takes one swing on the PGA Tour, the policy is voided.  He denies this though.  

Shame. Once he was a rising star on the tour. Now he is just a young hippy with greasy hair....

Makes me wonder why he chose to just sit on his insurance money. He could have made so much more on the tour.

~sigh....

• Like 1
In my bag Driver: Cleveland CG tour black Fairway Woods: Diablo Octane 3 wood; Diablo 5 wood Irons: Mizuno MP53 5-9 Hybrid: Cobra 3, 4 T-Rail Wedge: 46* Cleveland, 50* Cleveland, 54* Titleist, 60* Titleist Putter: Odyssey protype #6 Ball: Maxfli U4/U6... But I'm not really picky about the ball I use.

3 minutes ago, BallMarker said:

Shame. Once he was a rising star on the tour. Now he is just a young hippy with greasy hair....

Makes me wonder why he chose to just sit on his insurance money. He could have made so much more on the tour.

~sigh....

Well we don't know that, for sure. His play was starting to decline before his injuries so he might not have made 10+ mill on tour unless he became an endorsement star. And being asian american thats unlikely unless he won 2-3 times a year.  So it seems like he bet agaist himself. Which is kinda sad to see. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1badbadger said:

So he'll be "appearing on a Hooters tour near you" :-D

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2351 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!