IGNORED

Anyone Carry and Use a Really Old Club?

satchmodog
Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I carry a Top Flite "Trouble Lover" wedge. The pic is not mine. (I'm too lazy to go out into the garage to take a picture.). It's from my very first set of clubs I got in 1964. It still has the original leather grip. With it's gigantic massive sole and bounce it's excellent for getting out of deep deep rough, but it's also easy to shank so I only use it in dire emergencies. 

Edited by xrayvizhen

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

I have an old Pal Joey "Playmaker 389" putter that I resurrected from the closet a couple of years ago when my current putter wasn't cutting the mustard. I bought it more years ago than I care to remember, and for well under 20 bucks! I started putting better with it immediately. No more skid and hop! Especially on longer putts.  My golf buddies also noticed the difference.

By far the oldest club I have in the bag.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...

Have a Ping Eye 2, 1 iron, from mid 80’s, cut and bent to 6 iron length and lie. 

Can punch it out of the woods, fade it, hook it, and it never gets over about 10 feet off the ground. Comes in very handy. 

Not on a regular basis; but I do have a few ancient clubs that I take out once in a while...just for yucks.  The oldest is a 30's era, St. Regis, mashie.  It has a thin leather grip, an aluminum butt cap, a hosel pin, and a black steel shaft.  The sole is about a half inch wide and has negative bounce.  Loft and length-wise; it's a near match with my current 8 iron.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On 1/25/2018 at 9:29 AM, TexasNative said:

Have a Ping Eye 2, 1 iron, from mid 80’s, cut and bent to 6 iron length and lie. 

Can punch it out of the woods, fade it, hook it, and it never gets over about 10 feet off the ground. Comes in very handy. 

That sounds like a really neat idea, Tex! I've tried to do the same with an old Adams Idea 1 hybrid, but they're designed to help get the ball up in the air. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, I have a "new" oldest club in the bag. I've kinda, sorta been in the market for a 5 wood, but haven't fallen in love with anything. Puttering around over the Winter I came across my old, persimmon 4 wood! Remember 4 woods? This is from a set of persimmon woods (1-3-4) that I had custom made for me about 40 years ago! So I figured I'd stick it in the bag and give it a whack. We'll see how it does.

At the end of last year I was playing with my 20+ year old Ping Anser putter; as I had lent my regular Scotty to my niece who was playing in the HS state playoffs. My putter made it all the way to the finals ..... and come to think of it, I still don't have it back :hmm:

Players play, tough players win!

I have plenty of clubs that are old.  My irons (Titleist 981) are circa year 2000.  My 22 deg Orlimar Trimetal is late 90s.  I use a Ping B60 putter from the 90s and a Ping Anser 2 from early 90s.  They all work well; I need to work on my game.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

I have a putter that is at least 50 years old, probably 60 to 70 years. My folks got it at a club tournament in the early 70's and it was a used club then. A putter with a wooden shaft. I rotate it in and out occasionally. Kinda on which putter is playing well cos that is weakest part of my game

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• 4 months later...

I have an old 1 iron, no markings that I can see, steel shaft, heavy.  I still have it and have hit it a few times on the range, recently.  Once played a round with Andy North who promptly asked "Where the hell did you get this thing?"  It was in the used set of Ben Hogans that I punched at a rummage sale for my first set.  The only club I have kept because of the mystery of make.  Now it rests in a place of honor as I have updated to Pings this year. I also own an unmarked wood shaft niblick but the shaft on it has serious cracks in the wood.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

ha...it took me over two decades to change out my Ben Hogan Edge irons, I also have a Arnold Palmer Persimmon which gets placed in the bag once in a while just for the heck of it. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

This isn't all that old compared to a lot of yours, but I use a Teardrop TD-47 putter.  I don't know when this model came out but I'm guessing it's at least 20 years old.  I also picked up a Teardrop mallet putter, I forget the model, but I keep sticking with the old 47.  I like the straight shaft (compared to flanged or plumbers neck) so I don't have to bend over as much and I putt reasonably well with it. 

• :cleveland: Classic 270
  • :tmade: R580 3W, 5W, 7W
  • :nicklaus: Dual Point 3H, 4H
  • :nicklaus: IronMax Progressive 5i-9i
  • :cleveland: RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*
  • Teardrop TD-47 Putter

Note: This thread is 1383 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!