IGNORED

Strangest person you've played with

Seals
Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've played with all kinds, some I don't care to play with again. And try as I may to be courteous, acknowledge good shots and follow the rules - I am sure there are others who'd rather not play another round with me. We all have different expectations no matter what the written and unwritten rules are.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

I'd imagine that @dennyjones would be perfectly normal while. . .

Just kidding @JonMA1 :-D

:banana:

2 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I could also talk about playing golf with @JonMA1 and @dennyjones, but what goes on in Lansing, stays in Lansing.  ;-)

You call what you were doing out there "playing golf"?

:beer:

• Like 2

Jon

Oh, I just remembered another one. And it's not that he was strange in his behavior but his appearance would not suggest that he was a golfer. Maybe a sumo wrestler!

I had booked a Super Saver on Golfnow for Firestone Farms. When I paid for my round the cashier told me that two other guys had booked the same time, so I'd be going off with them. I had time to hit some putts and swing the clubs, and when I saw two guys in a cart head for the first tee I went down there and introduced myself.

They were from the Pittsburgh area. The one guy was a regular looking dude, but his buddy was another story! He looked like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man, only bigger! He was about 6' and had to go 4 bills easy! Just enormous and not a hint of muscle definition on him.

We played the next to longest set of tees, which stretches this course out pretty good! The first hole is about a 395 par 4, with a lake to the right of the fairway. Mr. Big cranks out a high, wild slice dead in the middle of it. I thought to myself, "Oh God, what did I get myself into?" His buddy just laughed, tossed him another ball, and told him to hit it like he knew how!

Mr. Big then proceeded to hit the longest drive I have ever seen in person! If the ball was 5 feet to the right, he'd have driven the green! He went on to hit amazing shot after amazing shot. Turns out he was very flexible, and beneath that gigantic mound of flesh was a golfer!

18 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I could also talk about playing golf with @JonMA1 and @dennyjones, but what goes on in Lansing, stays in Lansing.  ;-)

I'll have to try harder next time to make the strangest list

16 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

:banana:

You call what you were doing out there "playing golf"?

:beer:

Hey - I hit at least 2 shots that day which were not horrible.

Players play, tough players win!

12 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Oh, I just remembered another one. And it's not that he was strange in his behavior but his appearance would not suggest that he was a golfer. Maybe a sumo wrestler!

I had booked a Super Saver on Golfnow for Firestone Farms. When I paid for my round the cashier told me that two other guys had booked the same time, so I'd be going off with them. I had time to hit some putts and swing the clubs, and when I saw two guys in a cart head for the first tee I went down there and introduced myself.

They were from the Pittsburgh area. The one guy was a regular looking dude, but his buddy was another story! He looked like the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man, only bigger! He was about 6' and had to go 4 bills easy! Just enormous and not a hint of muscle definition on him.

We played the next to longest set of tees, which stretches this course out pretty good! The first hole is about a 395 par 4, with a lake to the right of the fairway. Mr. Big cranks out a high, wild slice dead in the middle of it. I thought to myself, "Oh God, what did I get myself into?" His buddy just laughed, tossed him another ball, and told him to hit it like he knew how!

Mr. Big then proceeded to hit the longest drive I have ever seen in person! If the ball was 5 feet to the right, he'd have driven the green! He went on to hit amazing shot after amazing shot. Turns out he was very flexible, and beneath that gigantic mound of flesh was a golfer!

Are you sure you didn't get pranked and you were playing with John Daly in disguise?

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

31 minutes ago, amished said:

Are you sure you didn't get pranked and you were playing with John Daly in disguise?

From the description, John Daly is skinny compared to the person he played. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Strangest guy I played with was at a muni.  He warned us on the 1st tee that he pumps himself up on the green very noisily, and my dad and I were like ok whatever.  Guys marks his ball and when it's his turn as he's about to place it down, he starts cursing at it.   "You're going to f***ing go in the F***ing hole or I'm going to F***ing kill you." Whatever insult you could make, he was directing it at that poor little golf ball.  But gosh darn, that thing went in the hole so many times! One putt after one putt! I mean he wasn't hitting the green, his full swing was an issue.  But he directed all that anger in putting, and for whatever reason, it worked all right for him, that day at least.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I played with a guy who swung so hard at the ball that he grunted on every full shot. He hit it okay, but when I outdrove him on the first few holes he began to swing harder and harder and grunted louder and louder each time. Finally figured out he really couldn't care less what his score was, he was just there to see how far he could hit it. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My first thought was myself. I have had some pretty strange happenings during my golfing years. 

Of course there was this cowboy up in Wyoming. Completely decked out in his cowboy clothing including his well used cowboy boots, complete with spurs. Really.  We talked alot about raising cows during our round. Played a decent swing though. 

Played a few strange rounds with tourists over the years. Some had very creative, if not strange putting strokes. Lots of talkers too. 

I found "strange" on the golf course to be a good thing.......most of the time. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Probably "me".   Don't know if he thought I was "strange" or not, but once a TST member referred to me as a "character".

Yeah, I would go along with that....

11 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm not really sure where to post this - but this thread seems as good as any

VPsaVkx.jpg

"don't go into the environmental areas searching for your golf ball - the "gribbles" might get you"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

11 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

VPsaVkx.jpg

Ouch! Those EMT look like they don't have the first clue where to start! :blink:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 10/1/2017 at 5:21 PM, David in FL said:

I'm probably the strangest guy that I play with...  :8)

Well, Dave....."stop playing with yourself - you will go blind"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

6 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Hey - I hit at least 2 shots that day which were not horrible.

I expected at least one of you to call me out on the fact that I shot a 110.

I'm very disappointed. :-D

Jon

This reminds me of the old saying about poker where if you can't recognize the sucker within 5 minutes of sitting at the table, you're it. . . because, I can't say I've really been stuck with any truly odd ducks in my golfing life. . . so I guess it's me!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

From the description, John Daly is skinny compared to the person he played. :-D

True that! This guy was ginormous!

10 hours ago, phillyk said:

Strangest guy I played with was at a muni.  He warned us on the 1st tee that he pumps himself up on the green very noisily, and my dad and I were like ok whatever.  Guys marks his ball and when it's his turn as he's about to place it down, he starts cursing at it.   "You're going to f***ing go in the F***ing hole or I'm going to F***ing kill you." Whatever insult you could make, he was directing it at that poor little golf ball.  But gosh darn, that thing went in the hole so many times! One putt after one putt! I mean he wasn't hitting the green, his full swing was an issue.  But he directed all that anger in putting, and for whatever reason, it worked all right for him, that day at least.

Reminds me of something I read in George Plimpton's The Bogey Man. The guy at the driving range who would talk to every ball he hit!

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I played with a guy who swung so hard at the ball that he grunted on every full shot. He hit it okay, but when I outdrove him on the first few holes he began to swing harder and harder and grunted louder and louder each time. Finally figured out he really couldn't care less what his score was, he was just there to see how far he could hit it. 

My buddy and I once wondered about that. What if PGA Tour pros starting grunting like the pro tennis players? What would people think?

8 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

VPsaVkx.jpg

"You're not from around here, are you?!"

When I was an early teen, a guy showed up at my home club one day, met me at the first tee and asked to play with me.  When I asked his name, he told me, "Just call me The Oz."  Looked a little like Captain Ahab with a hippie twist.  But a super cool dude and a decent golfer.  Nothing too strange until we got to the first green and he broke out a croquet mallet to putt with...croquet style, facing the hole with the ball between his feet.  And dude was pretty dang good with it!  At the end of the day, I told him to look me up when he came back through town, and I can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something to the effect of, "nah, son, I don't ever make plans or promises, but if the gods intend it you bet we'll play again."  Lol.  Seriously.  Great round, though.

Around 15 years ago I was playing down in Point Clear, AL.  Got paired up with an older couple.  On every shot, the old man pulled the club straight back over his head like an ax that he was about to chop down into a stump in front of him.  His eyes would get big as he did.  First time he did it, I stepped back a couple of feet and got kinda nervous ;-).  Looked like some Mister Miyagi karate deal.  But then he just slowly brought it back down to the ball, made a slow backswing, then a punchy pass to knock it out there a hundred yards or so at a time.  I figure it was a stretching thing.  But it sure was a treat to watch it ~100 times.  :-P

My uncle Johnny used to take three continuous practice swings, then just step into address and hit it with his fourth...never stopping his motion.  Again...first time I played with him it was pretty crazy to watch, and cracked me the heck up every time.  He eventually abandoned the method.

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!