IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Knock on wood, but looking like it may be Talamore that hosts the 2017 edition.

http://www.talamoregolfresort.com

It's a little confusing, but we'd likely play at Talamore and Mid-South.

We'll have more news by the end of the month.

Umm, I was on the fence being a newbie and all to throw my name in but llama caddies might just push me over the edge:-P. I'll have to check those dates again now and see if I could make this work in the long shot case I get chosen. Seriously though I've actually looked into a trip to this area and read this resort was pretty good. Plus obviously tons of great golf options nearby. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Umm, I was on the fence being a newbie and all to throw my name in but llama caddies might just push me over the edge:-P. I'll have to check those dates again now and see if I could make this work in the long shot case I get chosen. Seriously though I've actually looked into a trip to this area and read this resort was pretty good. Plus obviously tons of great golf options nearby. 

I don't think we'll be using the llamas, though. I think their "pen" area is to the left of one of the par 4s or 5s somewhere. I seem to recall it's after a dogleg right and left of the hole after a downhill tee shot? Maybe?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

47 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Umm, I was on the fence being a newbie and all to throw my name in but llama caddies might just push me over the edge:-P.

58770167.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Talamore and Mid-South are really good courses.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Great news!

9 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

That looks really nice, thanks for sharing

They're both good courses, and if we stay there, the lodging is pretty nice too.  Talamore just completely replaced their greens in 2016, and MidSouth is doing the same this coming summer.  By October, both courses should be in great shape

8 hours ago, Wanzo said:

Sadly, they no longer use the llamas for caddie duties, but you can say hello to them going from 13 to 14.  Number 12 is the dogleg right that @iacas, remembers, followed by the par-3 13th.  Its a downhill ride to 14 tee, with the llama pen to the left of the cart path, and left of 14 tee.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

29 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Sadly, they no longer use the llamas for caddie duties

Dollie looked like a real Cutie, I'll bet she was well trained to munch ruff when no one was looking  :whistle:

Does anyone know when these courses "Overseed" in the fall season?

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

6 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Llamas... I'm lost. 

IMG_0452.JPG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Llamas... I'm lost. 

World’s Most Famous Caddies

Talamore’s Resort Course opened its doors in 1991 with significant press coverage. Yes, the opening of the exciting Rees Jones design was highly anticipated in the Sandhills, but it was the lovable llama caddies that stole the show. Offering llamas as caddies proved to be an instant hit, especially with the press. Over 5,000 articles were written and published all over the globe. Suffice it to say, the Talamore llamas put the club on the international golfing map.

Llamas.jpg

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh gosh, I would so sell one of my kids to play in the NC now.. Number 1 goal of 2017...

Vishal S.

35 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Oh gosh, I would so sell one of my kids to play in the NC now.. Number 1 goal of 2017...

your goal is to sell one of your kids? :content:

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

59 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Does anyone know when these courses "Overseed" in the fall season?

I'm not sure they do overseed.  The climate allows the fairway grass to stay active pretty late in the fall.  When we've been down for Thanksgiving, it seems like most of the fairways are simply allowed to go dormant.  This helps with playability in a way.  When I've played near Phoenix during "overseed season", its always cart-path only, and very wet while they get the grass growing.  

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

12 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

your goal is to sell one of your kids? :content:

If that's what needs to happen for me to play in NC... Yes.:-P

Vishal S.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

They're both good courses, and if we stay there, the lodging is pretty nice too.  Talamore just completely replaced their greens in 2016, and MidSouth is doing the same this coming summer.  By October, both courses should be in great shape

Are they going to be done in time? They're re-sodding them, I'm guessing, not re-seeding?

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Sadly, they no longer use the llamas for caddie duties, but you can say hello to them going from 13 to 14.  Number 12 is the dogleg right that @iacas, remembers, followed by the par-3 13th.  Its a downhill ride to 14 tee, with the llama pen to the left of the cart path, and left of 14 tee.

Cool I was pretty close.

If we do play Talamore and Mid-South, then the ideal situation may be:

Mornings Thursday and Friday: Foursomes at Talamore.

Afternoons Thursday and Friday: Fourball at Mid-South.

Morning Saturday: Singles matches at Mid-South.

But there's still a LOT of work left to be done to set this up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Unique Challenges Introduced At Talamore

“Scotland and the NC Sandhills Collide” with the addition of 12 strategically placed, old-world style sod wall bunkers. Talamore is the only course in the Village of Pinehurst/Southern Pines area with multiple sod wall bunkers and soon to come sod wall bunker cams, providing a live feed of bunker action straight to the Clubhouse for spectator enjoyment.

Wonder if the Russians can Hack the live feed and stream it on Twitter or FB ....

The New Course at Talamore – Remastered

The goal of the 25th anniversary Remastering Plan was to reimagine the tract through a clever combination of restoration and rejuvenation projects that unlock the course’s hidden potential.  The project was executed by a huge team including course superintendent David Walsh and his staff, and PGA professional and general manager Matt Hausser. Alongside the Resort’s staff were the skilled crews of Shapemasters, a world-class certified Golf Course builder that has worked for many of the major modern era golf course designers including Jack Nicklaus, Rees Jones, Arnold Palmer, Pete and P.B. Dye, Tom Fazio and Greg Norman (www.shapemasters.com).

Original Greens Design Honored through Meticulous Restoration

Greens are being restored to the original Rees Jones 1991 design, resulting in a 20 percent larger putting surface, and the addition of generous 60-inch Tif Eagle Bermuda green collars. The new Champion Bermuda putting surfaces will provide significantly better playing conditions than its bent grass predecessor and will put Talamore’s greens on par with the other top courses in the area that have already made the switch to Bermuda greens – Pinehurst No. 2, No. 8, Country Club of North Carolina, Pine Needles, Mid Pines and Tobacco Road.

Playability and Pace of Play Enhanced

The course feels and is bigger with the fairways opened up, limited rough and the removal of excessive bunkering, with 75% of all bunkers eliminated. Improved cart access and the reshaping of certain areas to help cart flow will increase pace of play by at least 30 minutes per round.

Beautiful courses .... Lodges are Premier ....

They have a "lottery" promotion ....

Hit the Jackpot!

Register for your chance to win here!  

7 Rounds of Golf – 3 Rounds at The New Course at Talamore, 2 Rounds at The Mid South Club, and 2 Rounds at 7 Lakes
(Green Fees & Carts Included)

7 Night Stay at Talamore Golf Resort

8 Golfers

– View complete contest rules below the entry form.

* Drawing to be held November 1, 2017. Jackpot Giveaway Open to U.S. Residents Only and may not be redeemed in April or October.

– Return to www.talamoregolfresort.com for Great Golf Package Offers!

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Are they going to be done in time? They're re-sodding them, I'm guessing, not re-seeding?

Cool I was pretty close.

If we do play Talamore and Mid-South, then the ideal situation may be:

Mornings Thursday and Friday: Foursomes at Talamore.

Afternoons Thursday and Friday: Fourball at Mid-South.

Morning Saturday: Singles matches at Mid-South.

But there's still a LOT of work left to be done to set this up.

I sat in the tavern at Talamore with Matt Houser for a while when I was down at Thanksgiving.  They'll seed or sprig the grass, I forgot which.  He said there was a 60 day grow-in period at Talamore, and the greens were excellent at the end   He said it was amazing, for a while it looked like nothing was happening, and all of a sudden the grass had filled in.  They closed the course in early May, and re-opened in early August.  I played a couple times at Thanksgiving, and I thought the greens rolled great.  You can see a bit of the new greens, and the other renovations, in this clip.

From what Matt told me, the work at MidSouth will be much less extensive than at Talamore, confined almost entirely to the greens.  I expect we'll see excellent conditions by October.

I think that tentative schedule would work out great.  As I mentioned to you privately, the two courses are literally a 5-minute drive apart, .

• Upvote 3

Dave

I've entered the "Jackpot" who knows, somebody has to WIN !!!
IF, IF, I'm lucky enough, I will invite 7 - TST members who "Hit the Like" reputation on this post !!! 

How do you like me NOW ....  A quote from an infamous member from Winghaven CC  :-D

Ps. NPC, Red Team members will highly influence my selection ...

• Upvote 3

Note: This thread is 2396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!