IGNORED

Which degree loft to play- Driver.

Note: This thread is 2384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got my Epic a couple months ago and for no particular reason set it at -1 degrees to 9.5 (the clubs standard head is 10.5). I changed the stock R Hzrdz shaft to a S Rogue Max. The local pro thought I should bump it up to 10.5 as it would help my “pull” tendency and get more roll. He also believes the shaft itself will help with the “pulls”. That it’s done. My question- what will a higher loft benefit/loss my swing? I’m going to give it a try but I’d love some thoughts. Thanks. 

Edited by UnbreakableBoy

4 hours ago, UnbreakableBoy said:

My question- what will a higher loft benefit/loss my swing?

Nobody can really answer that for you because everyone's swing is different. That being said, I'm not sure how adding 1° of loft is going to keep you from pulling shots.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I agree with @colin007...some launch data would help.  But I can tell you this...don't be afraid to try a higher loft.  Almost everyone launches the ball too low.  I'll repeat that...almost everyone launches the ball too low.

And for all you guys who are thinking "that's bullcrap...I hit my driver as high as my friend's hit their 9 iron!"...you guys are very likely launching the ball too low as well.  You're over-spinning it though which makes it climb really high and balloon.  There is a difference between hitting the ball too high and over-spinning the ball.  This chart shows what I mean:

ballooning.thumb.png.f4be93fb63884e113ea09d133b79e366.png

Most guys will benefit from a higher launch.  It promotes more carry distance and overall a more efficient trajectory.  I play a 12* driver, and I don't hit it too high.  Think about it...even with a 3* positive angle of attack (meaning you're hitting "up" on the ball 3*) that would result in a launch angle of approx. 13.5*.  If you're swinging 110 mph or more, this might be considered too high, but if your swing speed is less than that you'll be in good shape.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

23 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Most guys will benefit from a higher launch.  It promotes more carry distance and overall a more efficient trajectory.  I play a 12* driver, and I don't hit it too high. 

Once used a 10.5*; now I have an 11.5* and 12*. I read that most high handicappers...indeed, most amateurs...should use higher lofted drivers than they do. My drives are high with little spin. I think I have benefited. But whadda I know? -Marv

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Fair enough. I suppose I was looking for what a higher loft club would benefit vs a lower lofted one, in general, for driver. My swing speed is about 95+ I have a son that works at GG so I’ll get those other numbers  for sure. Thank you all. 

23 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Back in the day we used to call the blue line trajectory "airplane shots". They'd start low, but because of the spin they'd balloon. Not ideal!

Back in the day that "low riser" or airplane shot was sexy...that's the ball flight all the good, strong players had.  If we only knew how inefficient it really was!

• Like 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

On 10/14/2017 at 8:25 PM, billchao said:

Nobody can really answer that for you because everyone's swing is different. That being said, I'm not sure how adding 1° of loft is going to keep you from pulling shots.

Point taken. The “pull” comment was a small point from a much bigger discussion. His point or comment was that the higher loft may open the club face a bit and not be a bad thing regarding the club face and my propensity to have the “pulls”. Thank you. 

Don't get me started.....but with an adjustable driver, you can NOT change the actual loft.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I started with a 15* driver and it was terrible. It was pretty forgiving but went nowhere. Changed to a 12* and was a little better. Had a swing/club MOT at my local golf shop and was given a 10.5* to try. Still using a 10.5* now (swing actually helping and not hindering).

For some more loft is better but its not that cut and dry. Imho its better to try different lofts with a pro or a good golf store with a simulator in the 1st instance and maybe take a demo club on a round or two.

• Like 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

5 hours ago, RussUK said:

I started with a 15* driver and it was terrible. It was pretty forgiving but went nowhere. Changed to a 12* and was a little better. Had a swing/club MOT at my local golf shop and was given a 10.5* to try. Still using a 10.5* now (swing actually helping and not hindering).

For some more loft is better but its not that cut and dry. Imho its better to try different lofts with a pro or a good golf store with a simulator in the 1st instance and maybe take a demo club on a round or two.

"Conventional Wisdom is an Oxymoron"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

14 hours ago, arturo28mx said:

My opinion, Most people should use at least 10.5*

Who are most people? I would be careful with blanket comments like this. 

12 hours ago, Hacker James said:

Don't get me started.....but with an adjustable driver, you can NOT change the actual loft.

Man and to think all these golf companies spent all this money developing these adjustable drivers. They should have just asked you for your opinion and saved a great deal of money.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

12 hours ago, UnbreakableBoy said:

Point taken. The “pull” comment was a small point from a much bigger discussion. His point or comment was that the higher loft may open the club face a bit and not be a bad thing regarding the club face and my propensity to have the “pulls”. Thank you. 

It's actually the opposite.  Changing loft to (+) numbers increases likelihood of a closed face at impact where-as  a (-) loft will increase likelihood of an open face at impact.  So, in regards to that comment, you're right in actually moving the loft to 9.5.  But, I'd still go to a launch monitor to look more closely at launch conditions.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I agree that not all people should use a 10.5 degree driver.  I am playing a 9.5 degree G400 turned down to 9 or maybe 8.5 I'd have to look.   I hit up on the ball and my spin numbers are between 1700 and 2200.  My launch angle is between 15 and 17 degrees and my angle of attack is between 5 and 8 degrees up.  For my swing speed these numbers are near optimal.  My miss is high on the face which will make the spin drop below optimal and the ball falls from the sky.

Everyone is different you really need to get on a monitor.

Note: This thread is 2384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!