IGNORED

Driving Range Etiquette

TallSouthern
Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a question about handling trashy people on the range.  I am by no means a good golfer, but I had a good day hitting my drivers.  I get focused on my shots and don't really pay attention to people coming and going...but I became aware of the others on the range and how trashy they were acting and dressed.  Normally I would ignore this, but I realized several were getting mad at me for I guess feeling showed up.   Just wondering is it better to socialize with people you can't stand or ignore them and make them feel slighted.  I'm not that sensitive, but I don't like angering people either. Thanks.

Would you provide some examples of what you mean by acting or dressing trashy? That would help with context. 

Personally I don't expect that dress code at a public course DR is the same as on the course itself. I would expect people to behave normally for a public setting. 

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

On the driving range, I couldn't care less how folks are dressed. Also I have never seen anyone acting trashy. I'm there to usually work on something, and that gets my undivided attention. 

I guess I am immune to this kind of stuff when practicing,  since I feel quite at home shopping at that " big box store".........:-P

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that perhaps the only driving range etiquette rule that really exists is don't give unsolicited advice. If you're putting people down for dressing "trashy" on a driving range then you might want to get off your lofty means of transportation.

Colin P.

It's a driving range. The general "etiquette" is that you ignore others and others ignore you, unless you already know each other.

Ignoring someone only makes them feel slighted if they're talking directly towards you or otherwise clearly attempting to get your attention. Otherwise it's usually the best course of action on the range.

I think providing people dont turn up in speedo's and flip flops it shouldnt matter what you wear. If im at the range i'll generally be in Jeans/Joggers, t-shirt and trainers. Personally i dont understand the guys that turn up in their full gear to hit a basket of balls then go home, but each to their own i suppose.

The way i see it is the range isnt just for dedicated golfers. Its a place for people to try it out, to have a bit of fun or, in my case, to spend some time with my 4 year old that doesnt involve staying in building train sets (fun but nice to get out).

If someone turns up and they are not dressed to your liking or sound like they are having "too much fun" just ignore them and focus on what you are doing.

I find it actually helps me when there is noise next to me as if i can hit good shots with a group of lads laughing next to me then not much can distract me on the course.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

The only driving range etiquette I wish folks would observe is if you and your buddy are going to have an extended conversation in the tee next to me is "don't".  I really don't care how others dress or what their swings look like on the practice tee, greens, or chipping areas.  I don't expect compete silence on the range but would appreciate your recognition that I don't need to hear a 5 minute catch up with your friend on the adjacent  tee.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Butch

13 hours ago, TallSouthern said:

I have a question about handling trashy people on the range.  I am by no means a good golfer, but I had a good day hitting my drivers.  I get focused on my shots and don't really pay attention to people coming and going...but I became aware of the others on the range and how trashy they were acting and dressed.  Normally I would ignore this, but I realized several were getting mad at me for I guess feeling showed up.   Just wondering is it better to socialize with people you can't stand or ignore them and make them feel slighted.  I'm not that sensitive, but I don't like angering people either. Thanks.

This is really strange. Is there something missing here? I've never seen anyone get mad at anyone for driving well, and I've been to a ton of ranges all over the world.

However, I will say that there is a marked amount of "outdrivesmanship" going on at many ranges. One person hits a driver, and sometimes their neighbor(s) pull out driver and every time they change clubs the other ones will follow suit and you hear a lot of grunting. Other than that, never seen any animosity at all.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

19 minutes ago, Lihu said:

However, I will say that there is a marked amount of "outdrivesmanship" going on at many ranges. One person hits a driver, and sometimes their neighbor(s) pull out driver and every time they change clubs the other ones will follow suit and you hear a lot of grunting. Other than that, never seen any animosity at all.

I'll do that with friends.  One time I was hitting well at an indoor range.  So I'd just hit the same spot on the wall as my friend did.  He noticed pretty quickly actually.  It's a good drill (break the glass type thing)

Bill - 

3 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

I'll do that with friends.  One time I was hitting well at an indoor range.  So I'd just hit the same spot on the wall as my friend did.  He noticed pretty quickly actually.  It's a good drill (break the glass type thing)

Aha, so you readily admit it was you who instigated the "rivalry"? :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I wish OP would supply some info on "Trashy" and "Showed up"

Only thing I can think of is someone showing up in an exact replica of Rickie Fowlers Sunday Orange... then feelings might get hurt or name calling might happen.

I wear regular clothes to the range and so do most others. Shorts or pants, t shirts or polo shirts.  Never my Sunday best or pajamas.  I have made some friends at the range but usually just go and do my thing.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

@TallSouthern the driving range collects all sorts of people. A lot of these don't even play golf, they just hit balls for fun. As other have pointed out, that's not a sin per se. However, if you're working on something very specific, it's annoying when people around you are screwing around re-enacting Happy Gilmore. Or, someone gets impatient with their mail-order bride because she is hopeless with a golf club. Or burnouts getting drunk while they hit balls (I've seen it all). 

My suggestion is to find a more exclusive course to hit balls at. I've actually found the price of a bucket to be a few quarters less than at the hoi polloi ranges, because it's not their core business. People are a little bit more genteel too... Even the snobs will leave you alone. Most will hit 5-10 balls and then head for the first tee.  It's a very nice quiet environment, good for learning.

Anyway, funny you mention people being competitive at the range.. I've noticed the same thing. Part of this (I think) is it's more embarassing to not be able to hit a pitching wedge than a driver. So, better to look like a fool with a driver in your hand :)

Edited by Kalnoky
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Pretzel said:

It's a driving range. The general "etiquette" is that you ignore others and others ignore you, unless you already know each other.

+1. As long as others don't do something unsafe to me or themselves, I could care less what anyone else wears or thinks. To me the point is to practice and that takes focus, there shouldn't be much interaction with others. If someone was really bothering me, I'd tell them I need to focus on my practice. If that doesn't work I'd probably just move to another spot on the range, though I've never found that necessary yet. You're only on the range for an hour or less, why worry about others at all, it's a moment in time...

Edited by Midpack
  • Upvote 2

Thanks everyone for your input.  I guess I should have been more clear.   They were randomly yelling, drunk, hitting balls dangerously close to others (skulling ON PURPOSE and laughing about it). I shouldn't have mentioned their clothing.  It's irrelevant. I am not a snob. I play thrift store clubs and bags and dress in cheap polos and khakis.  I guess I came across poorly to you. The point of my post was to wonder why some people get insecure and perhaps hostile around someone who has the desire to improve himself. I used to work at big box stores, so I'm not judging by that demographic. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, TallSouthern said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  I guess I should have been more clear.   They were randomly yelling, drunk, hitting balls dangerously close to others (skulling ON PURPOSE and laughing about it). I shouldn't have mentioned their clothing.  It's irrelevant. I am not a snob. I play thrift store clubs and bags and dress in cheap polos and khakis.  I guess I came across poorly to you. The point of my post was to wonder why some people get insecure and perhaps hostile around someone who has the desire to improve himself. I used to work at big box stores, so I'm not judging by that demographic. Thanks.

I don't mean to be dismissive, but this post isn't really about driving range etiquette, nor is it about golf.

You sound like you're trying to figure out others. I can't offer you any useful advice there, but as far as improving in golf, I can say that you'll do best by tuning out others, and focusing on what you want to do to improve.

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, TallSouthern said:

Thanks everyone for your input.  I guess I should have been more clear.   They were randomly yelling, drunk, hitting balls dangerously close to others (skulling ON PURPOSE and laughing about it). I shouldn't have mentioned their clothing.  It's irrelevant. I am not a snob. I play thrift store clubs and bags and dress in cheap polos and khakis.  I guess I came across poorly to you.

I kind of figured this is what you meant, but was not 100% sure. Yes, there are yahoos, and I have seen a few the range master or starter usually kick them off if they get too rowdy or dangerous. Given that, I'd say you were pretty composed.

13 minutes ago, TallSouthern said:

The point of my post was to wonder why some people get insecure and perhaps hostile around someone who has the desire to improve himself. I used to work at big box stores, so I'm not judging by that demographic. Thanks.

I'm not sure if they were jealous, so much as possibly thinking you were a typical "stodgy golfer"? IDK for sure, since I wasn't there, but a lot of folks go to the range just to "get the man's goat" or something equally dumb like that.

8 minutes ago, chspeed said:

I don't mean to be dismissive, but this post isn't really about driving range etiquette, nor is it about golf.

You sound like you're trying to figure out others. I can't offer you any useful advice there, but as far as improving in golf, I can say that you'll do best by tuning out others, and focusing on what you want to do to improve.

Good luck!

It is kind of about etiquette, it's about dealing with yahoos who make actual practice difficult.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

4 hours ago, TallSouthern said:

Who knows if they were insecure or not, but why would you care at all? You're going to be there for an hour or less, get on with your practice. If they're being obnoxious or unsafe, alert the driving range management or just move away from them. They may be obnoxious, but you're making it your problem too, that's up to you alone. With all due respect (sincerely), you must be pretty young, still worrying about things you probably can't change, life's too short.

Edited by Midpack

On 10/19/2017 at 9:51 AM, ghalfaire said:

The only driving range etiquette I wish folks would observe is if you and your buddy are going to have an extended conversation in the tee next to me is "don't".  I really don't care how others dress or what their swings look like on the practice tee, greens, or chipping areas.  I don't expect compete silence on the range but would appreciate your recognition that I don't need to hear a 5 minute catch up with your friend on the adjacent  tee.

I gotta disagree with this. I mean you're on the range, it's not like you're on the tee box getting ready to play. If I'm on the range with a buddy and we're hitting next to each other, we're gonna talk. The range is a much more casual situation, I don't see how two people having a conversation would interfere with anybody else on the range.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Note: This thread is 2333 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!