IGNORED

Minimum distance requirement for PGA Players

Seals
Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Look, distance matters. It is substantially easier to hit a 9 iron close than a 6 iron. That said, what is the minimum distance a PGA player could hit the ball and compete. (Not including roll)

I am thinking minimum 265 carry

https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.2017.html

That's not carry distance, but the lowest person on that list was Furyk at 271 yards. 

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, Seals said:

Look, distance matters. It is substantially easier to hit a 9 iron close than a 6 iron. That said, what is the minimum distance a PGA player could hit the ball and compete. (Not including roll)

I am thinking minimum 265 carry

You'd probably want at least 280 total off the tee. 

Edited by saevel25

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

This is the 2017 stat you need. https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.02409.2017.html

The shortest carry distance in average for a tour player it´s Ken Duke with 250,9 Yards. Next to him it´s Jim Furyk with 254,1.
Longest Rory McIlroy with 305,1.
To be in the middle of the pack you need to hit 279 yards carry.  

Driving stats aren't really a good representation at how competitive a player is in a lot of cases since it doesn't directly correlate to scoring. Just because someone drives close to the Tour's median yardage doesn't mean they are in the middle of the pack for scoring.

I have been looking at some stats lately of what the current leaders are averaging off the tee, and I would say that the shortest competitive players are carrying it at least 265 yards with the driver. Most I would guess carry it about 280-290, though. 

Edited by toast

Just now, toast said:

Driving stats aren't really a good representation at how competitive a player is in a lot of cases since it doesn't directly correlate to scoring. Just because someone drives close to the Tour's median yardage doesn't mean they are in the middle of the pack for scoring.

You could have a guy who drives the ball 220 yards and he would never compete on the PGA tour. There is a minimum requirement for distance on the PGA Tour. People will point to Jim Furyk, but the guy is one of the best long iron and mid iron ball strikers of our generation.  He has to be that good in that area, or he would not be on the PGA Tour. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I was going to comment on Ian Woosnam,. but then I considered:

"Being short of stature, does not necessarily equate to being short of reach"

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Exactly, there's a lot of different ways to take this question. If you are talking about how far would your average low handicap/scratch golfer need to drive to just maintain a card, the answer would probably be 315+ yards of carry and extremely straight. But if we're talking about if you were to have an (PGA tour) average iron and short-game skill set, it would probably be around 265-270 yards, given you found a great number of fairways.

Something to remember is that amateurs and pros don't have the correlations between stats. For amateurs, how far someone can hit a 7 iron, or drive the golf ball, usually shows a pretty consistent correlation to how well they usually score. The Tour, however, is a much smaller sample size of the best players on the planet, and each of them is there for a reason. So although you would have somewhat of an advantage to be able to hit the long ball, it doesn't always translate to how good a given touring pro's scoring averages are.

Edited by toast

A mini-tour player uses our club as his home course. He says a player needs 270 yards carry to be considered a long hitter.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I think the initial question oversimplifies things.  Of course, the set-up of PGA venues requires a certain minimum length off the tee, and I read a consensus that something like 260 to 270 yards carry is about the shortest that allows a player to be viable on tour.  The stats that @p1n9183 references bear that out.  But distance is only one of many skills required.  In the long run, distance is simply a tool, but overall scoring is the true requirement.  Simply hitting the driver long ism't nearly enough to give you a real chance on tour.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

8 hours ago, WUTiger said:

A mini-tour player uses our club as his home course. He says a player needs 270 yards carry to be considered a long hitter.

This was the number that was in my head before even opening the thread.  I wouldn't even think that is a long hitter on tour...just something that is in the somewhat-average or needed area.  Looks like the average is 279, but the question is minimum...so Ken Duke at 251 wins.

I'd still want to have at least 270 carry.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Being that driving is second only to approach shots in importance as far as scoring is concerned, I would say a carry distance in the neighborhood of 270 is needed to be viable on TOUR. There are always exceptions, but data shows you drive for dough.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!