IGNORED

Picking just one, what is your single most valued wedge?

TRACON
Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is your most important wedge?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick your favorite wedge, what would it be?

• Pitching Wedge
    • Approach/Gap Wedge
    • Sand Wedge
    • Lob Wedge
    • Other, please specify
    • I can't pick just one, they all do different things

56/10 SW. I can open it all the way and hit flops without issue and it's more forgiving than my 60/8. I generally only use my LW for full swings shots. Anything touchy-feely and I'm going to the 56* 9 times out of 10. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gap wedge, but I cannot really tell you why. Feel? visual at set up?  my imagination?

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

For years, other than the iron set pitching wedge, I only carried a Wilson JP pitching wedge that had around 52-53 degrees of loft. It had pretty good bounce though and was generally adequate for sand.

Now I carry 48,52, and 56 Vokeys. The 48 and 52 are 8* bounce F grind; the 56 is 10* S grind. I like them all, but use the 56 probably twice as much as the other two put together.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

No contest for me. My short game revolves around the 58.

In general I use a SW 0-2 times a round, and a PW 0-3.

I use all my wedges so often I guess I would have to go with my 56° wedge, because it's possibly the most versatile. I would have a difficult time picking one because I play a variety of shots with each one. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Lob (58 degree Mack Daddy 2) - from 85 in until I hit the chipping distance

Close second?  PW (Mizzy MP15 46 degree) 120-125 and most chips

the two between (SW, GW) are fine, but usually for specific stuff rather than a range of stuff.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Either the 47/5 pitching wedge or the 51/6 gap wedge.  I have a black 54/10 sand wedge I really like; but hardly ever encounter black sand.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Something in the 50* to 52* range. (use to be a PW , now they are AW or GW)

Can do anything with that club.  Flip it in, flop it up, bump n run... list goes on.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Lob wedge for me. Its not even close. I also have a 56 degree and a PW. 100 yards and in, 90% of the time I am using the lob wedge. I love the PM grind on my 60, it is so easy to hit and shots hit off the toe still end up in decent spots most of the time.

There are only 3 scenarios I can think of right now where I dont use the lob wedge inside 100 yards. 

1. Flat approach and a ton of green to work with. I'll use PW and play a bump and run type shot
  2. Ball is right against the fringe and rough and unable to get putter to the back of the ball. If theres enough green to work with, I'll use my 3 wood.
  3. 90-100yds out, elevated green and a fluffy lie in the rough, where I think the lob wedge might just sweep under the ball and pop it straight up. Ill use a partial swing 56 wedge. (I played this exact shot saturday from right around 95-100 yds and put it to 5 feet on the 18th hole for an easy birdie)

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

I voted Lob wedge. The courses I play on have smallish greens and tricky pin placements.

Was tempted to go with Gap wedge (holed one out a few weeks ago for eagle 2) but I score more with LW.

Note: This thread is 2368 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!