IGNORED

If you could ONLY carry two wedges, which ones?

TRACON
Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Like the title says, hypothetically if you could ONLY carry TWO, what loft would they be?

I think I’d carry my 49* (Gap) and 60* (Lob).  It’s a big gap in between I know, but a 9-iron can be “opened” as a PW, while my 60* can be narrowed like my 54* (SW) or opened like a 64* (LW).  What say you?

8 minutes ago, allenc said:

I would carry a 52 and 58.  That would mean I’d have to buy two new wedges though so I’m not doing that.  :-P

Hahahaha, I hear ya.    I’ve got 5 wedges from a 44* to a 72*.  I don’t usually carry the 44* nor the 72* though.  So I leave just three in the bag (49*, 54* & 60*).  

Collecting Clubs is like collecting firearms.  You can NEVER have too many on hand.  

Edited by TRACON

60 degree and 55 degree

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 and 56.

A lot of mid-to-high hcps would do better in the long run if someone made them give up that damn lob wedge that they think they hit so much better than they really do.... ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

2 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Assuming we’re not including the PW as a wedge, I’d go with my 50 and 54.  I use my 58 quite a bit, but I could adjust to not having it in the bag pretty quickly.

Why wouldn't you include the PW?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

13 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Why wouldn't you include the PW?

I originally read the OP as appearing to leave the PW out of the decision (I.e. not considering it a wedge)... as he talks about opening up his 9i and PW.  So I based my reply on such assumption.

Re-reading it, I misunderstood what he was saying about his 9i (i.e. opening it would replace his need for a PW).  Now that I’m catching that :beer:, my response will require more thought.  I’d def want a 54 or 56, but need to think about flighted distances to decide whether a PW or GW would give me the best gaps.

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

Now days it is the PW, and SW for me. I use to carry 4 wedges. Those other two being an AW, and a LW. I don't know what the lofts are.

After a little practice,  I found I could get everything I needed out the PW, and  SW. 

One thing I learned when I carried my LW. I couldn't be afraid to swing it. It was not a finesse club for me. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

My 45* PW in my set is my go to club for anything inside a 100 yards except specialty shots like bunkers and flop shots or major rough needing more loft and quicker stopping. Maybe my 55* SW or a 60* lob for my second wedge. Not sure which one cos I use both so little. Never tried a lob from the bunker so not sure if it is practical as a second wedge

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

First to drop would be AW. Second to drop would be LW. 

1W, 3W, 3H (7.5, 14.5, 18)     Callaway X2 Hot Pro

4I - PW (21 - 45)                     Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal

AW, SW, LW (50, 54, 58)        Cleveland 588

Putter                                      Odyssey Versa

When I started playing golf, all that anyone had were two wedges, a pitching wedge and a sand wedge.  Specialty wedges seemed to become more common in the early 80s (I could be off a bit with that date), and Tom Kite eventually had four wedges, which was considered very innovative by many at the time.  So if I had to return to those old days, I'd use a pitching wedge and a sand wedge.  I'd have to work out the best combination of lofts and bounce and grind to minimize the gaps and fit my own game and local conditions, but I'm guessing that I'd end up with something like 50 and 56 degrees.

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If only two, I'd leave out 44* PW and go with 50* and 56*12* bounce. I can hit my 40* 9 iron as a substitute for the PW. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I guess PW and LW. It would be rough to get rid of the SW, though. I'd have a very large gap.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

My issue with trying to come up with an answer for this is that I don't see the PW as a wedge any more.  It's a necessary part of my full shot arsenal because the loft is what a 9 iron used to be.  The strengthening of lofts across the irons was a significant factor in creating the need for carrying more wedges.  I use the PW the same as I did the 9 iron 25 years ago.  I carry a gap wedge now that is really more equivalent to my PW in 1990.  

With that explanation, I would only take my 51° GW and 56° SW, but the club that is mistakenly called a PW (I see it as a 10 iron) would still be in the bag as the shortest "full" iron.

Edited by Fourputt
  • Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I would go get my Eye2's and then just use the W - 50.7° and SW - 57.7°

Back with the old lofts it was a no brain er.  Now with W, AP, GP, SW, LW you have too many choices and too many wedges in the bag.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!