IGNORED

What's your "glass ceiling" that you just can't seem to break?

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to be able to get both my full-swing game and short-game working on the same day more consistently.  I've had a few rounds where they worked together and I'm in mid to upper 60's.  When one or the other is off, I'm usually a couple strokes above par.  I've shot a 64 and it'd be cool to go lower, but I wouldn't call it my ceiling/floor.  If I had to give it a number, I'd like to get my average into the 60's.  Haha, that'd be something.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don’t believe I’ve ever played a full 18 hole round without at least one double, or worse.  Even when I shoot rounds in the 70’s, I still always have at least a double or triple somewhere on the card.  My best score ever is a 76, and I remember it started with a double on Hole #1, Par 5.

I have shot 84 just once in 25 years and that is my lowest score ever.  I typically have a couple of 86's each season but do not seem to be able to avoid the extra double due to a pulled drive or missed short putt that would get me below 85. 

Edited by NJpatbee

For me, it's getting in the low 70s. I have hit 75 twice and have a good half-dozen 76s, etc... But breaking that 75 barrier is not happening (and maybe never will?)...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

My glass ceiling is more handicap related than individual score related. I have been fortunate to shoot a 2-under par 70 once in my lifetime - and if I die with that being my all time low round, then I am perfectly content with that. 

But I would really love to get the consistency in my game going to the point that mid-70's rounds become an expectation rather than an aberration. Right now, I just don't have any consistency round to round, so I'd say my glass ceiling is a low single digit handicap. Earlier this year, I got as low as 5.1, but I wouldn't even sniff that right now.

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

My glass ceiling is more handicap related than individual score related. I have been fortunate to shoot a 2-under par 70 once in my lifetime - and if I die with that being my all time low round, then I am perfectly content with that. 

But I would really love to get the consistency in my game going to the point that mid-70's rounds become an expectation rather than an aberration. Right now, I just don't have any consistency round to round, so I'd say my glass ceiling is a low single digit handicap. Earlier this year, I got as low as 5.1, but I wouldn't even sniff that right now.

We are practically twins.  My all-time low is a -1, 70 (albeit on a short, simple course) and I got my handicap to 4.1 last year.  Been spinning my wheels since and am back up to 5.6 and seemingly still going up.

I'm not worried, though, as I hope as the kids start to get a little older and get into golf as well, my time spent on the course will increase, and perhaps that will lead to lower scores too.

But, yeah, like you, my ceiling is a low single digit handicap.

For me it's 90.  I've done it three times, and then everything went to hell with my swing.

Now I can't make solid contact and lost 20-30 yards.  Feels like I'll never see the 80's again.

I have one course I play, once a year with a friend, and I can not get it below 100. Older , narrow, small greens, often high winds. Would like to see a sub 100 there

Not sure if it really a glass ceiling or just stuff that can happen to a golfer.

I was a scratch for a long time, was in the 60's several times on my regular courses and played decent in amateur tournaments.  I could overpower the course and had a great wedge game.  The putter always held me back to an extent.  Great lag putter, but, just did not make enough putts to go with the length and other aspects.

I can still remember the day/round.  I was qualifying for the state amateur and was cruising along.  On the 12th green, my hands just went.  The yips/lack of confidence was there.  Completely fell apart and did not qualify. After that, I felt more pressure on full shots during competitions to compensate for my putting woes.  Just never returned and play for fun since.  I can still shoot in the low to mid 70's, putting is now a challenge though.

I have now shot 80 4 times, additionally  I shot an ESC 79 this summer.   79 for handicap purposes, 80 on the score card.   

never shot a real 79 or better.   also, never had an eagle.   ever.   it's quite amazing, actually. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 2329 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!