IGNORED

My favorite Peter Kostis analysis

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

36 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

If you think I am going to jump on the anti Kostis bandwagon, you will be waiting for a very long time.

I don't know why you quoted me, here. Everybody knows how you feel about Peter Kostis. Nobody is waiting on you to do anything.

Golf instruction is full of bad information. Some of the most well know analysts are guilty of spreading it. Being on TV doesn't change the fact that they're wrong.

30 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's totally feasible that any instructor having to give an analysis immediately after a shot could end up having a bad "hit" rate on being right as well. Maybe Kostis is at 40% while others under the same time pressure might be 33%?

The simple answer to this is... be prepared. You know who is going to be in a tournament, study up on their movements and swing tendencies. 

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

55 minutes ago, Lihu said:

It's totally feasible that any instructor having to give an analysis immediately after a shot could end up having a bad "hit" rate on being right as well. Maybe Kostis is at 40% while others under the same time pressure might be 33%?

A lot of these segments are prerecorded, which makes it more galling.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

20 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

Do anything else, especially troll.

So to get back on topic, you came into this thread to say:

A. The Brian Gay analysis was good

or

B. It was a bad analysis but he is normally pretty good and we should give him a break.

or none of the above?

1 minute ago, virtuoso said:

So to get back on topic, you came into this thread to say:

A. The Brian Gay analysis was good

or

B. It was a bad analysis but he is normally pretty good and we should give him a break.

or none of the above?

This is getting old.  Just stop it or be moderated.

Mike Rooker

2 minutes ago, Veteran Golf Fan said:

This is getting old.  Just stop it or be moderated.

I thought that was a reasonable question.

32 minutes ago, billchao said:

Golf instruction is full of bad information. Some of the most well know analysts are guilty of spreading it. Being on TV doesn't change the fact that they're wrong.

Of course, but it feeds us trolls. :-D

32 minutes ago, billchao said:

The simple answer to this is... be prepared. You know who is going to be in a tournament, study up on their movements and swing tendencies. 

True, in fact, he's supposed to know every current professional golfer pretty well.

31 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

A lot of these segments are prerecorded, which makes it more galling.

Did not know this, okay, so TST and Golfwrx are totally justified in their commentaries. Had to laugh, some of them are really funny. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

It is.

@Veteran Golf Fan, how many bad analyses does it take to demonstrate that he’s not good at his job?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, virtuoso said:

Yes I'd also like to hear the answer.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

When are they hiring Erik for this job? You don't have to be at the course, they can just mail you some Konica Minolta Bizhub Swing Vision™© videos, you draw some arrows, talk about stuff and send it back. At 71, Peter is ready for a new protege.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Zeph said:

When are they hiring Erik for this job? You don't have to be at the course, they can just mail you some Konica Minolta Bizhub Swing Vision™© videos, you draw some arrows, talk about stuff and send it back. At 71, Peter is ready for a new protege.

I wouldn't be super interested in one position - the one where a player hits the ball with a face that's 1.5° more open than usual after making virtually the same swing as the one that's got them to the lead in the tournament for 3.5 days… and finding a "reason" why the shot went into the right rough. I think that's bogus.

What I could do - and so could 100 other people (though, and you all know my thoughts here, only about that many people) - is pre-record a few videos showing something good that Adam Scott does in his swing, or something unique in Dustin Johnson's swing, or whatever. It might even be interesting to talk to the player before-hand, and ask him what he's trying to do or feel. Or, and here's a better answer… to film them on the range, maybe doing some drills or some exaggerations, or showing you what the feel is, and then doing it in a slower swing. Even for someone like Bubba, if he's ever relevant again, you could just show a draw and a fade, and the differences he subconsciously makes to hit those shots, and dispel some myths about "releasing the hands" or whatever.

• Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, Zeph said:

At 71, Peter is ready for a new protege.

Ah, of course. That explains it.

This is what we see:

image.png.007513f1342d5c8275758a78fe2a062c.png

This is what he sees:

image.png.297f2a7dabda6a1a538dc3e52fe28909.png

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

35 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Ah, of course. That explains it.

This is what we see:

image.png.007513f1342d5c8275758a78fe2a062c.png

This is what he sees:

image.png.297f2a7dabda6a1a538dc3e52fe28909.png

When i saw the second picture i thought my glasses had fallen off!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of these announcer positions are basically tenure. Once you get settled in, it's almost impossible to get fired, you have to do something really egregious. The networks don't want to change up because viewers are used to who's on screen, there's a "relationship". And just because someone is good with people, good with politics, popular, doesn't necessarily translate into being technically good at their job.

An analyst is spending, what 4 of 7 days of week doing coverage, that's a lot of time not spent on the range, learning, observing, teaching, keeping up with new info, etc...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

An analyst is spending, what 4 of 7 days of week doing coverage, that's a lot of time not spent on the range, learning, observing, teaching, keeping up with new info, etc...

• They don't work 4 of 7 days.
  • They don't work every week.
  • Even when they are working, they're on-air for, what, six hours?

They still go to dinner with people, even when they're working. They can still read on flights. They still sit in airports, or in cars, or have evenings at the hotel when they aren't phoning home.

I've been to a lot of PGA Tour events. You almost never see the talking heads wandering around on the practice range. Sometimes, but really rarely. Slightly less rarely, you'll see them on the putting green, but even then it's, to over-use the word… rare.

Johnny Miller still, AFAIK, charts out all of the greens and hole locations each day himself. That him doing so left an impression on me speaks to the work and prep some of the guys do. That should almost be a minimum level of prep. And maybe that is one of the reasons I don't slag on Johnny too much - he's one of the more likely ones to get out amongst the players before the round, even though he's aware of how he's sometimes perceived by them.

21 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Please tell me if I'm wrong, but it seems like some of these announcer positions are basically tenure. Once you get settled in, it's almost impossible to get fired, you have to do something really egregious. The networks don't want to change up because viewers are used to who's on screen, there's a "relationship". And just because someone is good with people, good with politics, popular, doesn't necessarily translate into being technically good at their job.

42 minutes ago, RussUK said:

When i saw the second picture i thought my glasses had fallen off!

Someone picked the wrong example of analyzing.  Much better to see the current examples with the camera facing facing the player, not from behind.  You can see posture, grip, ball position, club coming into the ball, head position if they are dipping and follow through.  This is what Kostis does on a regular basis.

Mike Rooker

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!