IGNORED

6+ Hour PGA Tour Rounds

iacas
Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Well, the last group of players, in threesomes, took over 6 hours to play 18 holes of golf today. It took them over 20 minutes to play the 18th hole alone.

This is getting ridiculous. They over-shot their generous broadcast window by over 30 minutes.

And there's a playoff likely coming up here, to boot.

I can't wait for the European Tour's shot clock tournament.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For posterity, the leaders teed off at 10:05 am today and the last putt (Palmers birdie putt to join the 3 way playoff) just dropped and it’s 4:05pm.  So 6 hours on the nose.

Also of note is that while the leaders were slow at the end, they were not behind; while they were on 17 green, Days group was on 18 green and there was a group between them.  This is not to defend the leaders, but to point out that the issue is widespread - can’t just focus on Holmes.

When Tiger - who was in the second group who teed off on 10 today - was approaching the second green, the leaders and one other group were waiting on the third tee for Hosslers group on the green.

They weren’t showing anybody in front of Day though ... maybe he was the culprit. ;)

• Administrator

No, you can't blame JB Holmes, but at some point an official should have just penalized him and ended him having to worry about making eagle.

4:30 to play a layup… ridiculous. If that's not "undue delay" I don't know what is.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Watching JB Holmes just standing there waiting for the weather to change was disgusting.  I hope he gets a big fine or even a suspension or something.   That was conduct detrimental to the PGA Tour.   There has to be some grounds to fine or suspend him for that.   They have to do something.   That was really bad. 

Edited by Marty2019

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

Watching JB Holmes just standing there waiting for the weather to change was disgusting.  I hope he gets a big fine or even a suspension or something.   That was conduct detrimental to the PGA Tour.   There has to be some grounds to fine or suspend him for that.   They have to do something.   That was really bad. 

They won't do anything.

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

No, you can't blame JB Holmes, but at some point an official should have just penalized him and ended him having to worry about making eagle.

4:30 to play a layup… ridiculous. If that's not "undue delay" I don't know what is.

Not just a layup tho ... a really shitty layup.

Seriously though, that’s a good point; they judge your ability to receive a penalty by how far behind you are, so does that mean they have a free pass to be annoying and molasses on the last hole?  As long as you’ve made it to 18 without a bad time you can slow down without recourse.  If that’s the case, it shouldn’t be.

Cuz, dammit, I want to see who wins this thing, but I also need to know what Rihanna is wearing on the red carpet tonight!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Marty2019 said:

That’s exactly what I used to do on Sega PGA tour golf!

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

They won't do anything.

Maybe if CBS goes to the PGA Tour and says, "That was not good television and we're not going to be happy if that's what you give us" they'll find it within themselves to do something. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Seriously though, that’s a good point; they judge your ability to receive a penalty by how far behind you are, so does that mean they have a free pass to be annoying and molasses on the last hole?  As long as you’ve made it to 18 without a bad time you can slow down without recourse.  If that’s the case, it shouldn’t be.

Basically, because they weren't on the clock, they can't even be given a bad time let alone a penalty.

Which is kinda ridiculous.

Just now, Marty2019 said:

Maybe if CBS goes to the PGA Tour and says, "That was not good television and we're not going to be happy if that's what you give us" they'll find it within themselves to do something. 

They still won't do anything. It would have to keep happening.

19 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Cuz, dammit, I want to see who wins this thing, but I also need to know what Rihanna is wearing on the red carpet tonight!!!!!

Rita Ora is tonight's smoke show...good lord

Colin P.

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

I can't wait for the European Tour's shot clock tournament.

I'll be looking at the European tour shot clock too.   I'm a golf enthusiast but 6 hours is a bit much.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Marty2019 said:

Sounds good in theory but would only work if all of the tv channels banded together.  If CBS said this is no good for us, NBC or Fox would just pick up the scraps.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

Agree with all the sentiments, but Luke Donald is incorrect ... as I mentioned above.  They were not out of position.  I know why he thought that though ... he forgot there was a group between Day/Rose/Pan group and Holmes/Noren/Palmer group.

Woodland/Kim/Hossler shot 75/78/79 respectively, and were shitty right out the gate so they never were all well out of it and never made the tv coverage. ;)

My 2 buddies and I played 18 today on an absolute bog of a course, and did so in 4 hours! Admittedly, we played a little fast and loose with ball drops and penalty strokes, but any proper sanctioning body would have canceled the round with the conditions we faced!

In fact, we finished our round and then drove to a restaurant about 20 minutes away for some Mexican food. During our chips and salsa I asked my buddy to look up the golf scores. When he announced that there were golfers still on the course, I said, "What?! They should have been done a long time ago!"

6 hour round on Torrey South... That's not unusual on a Sunday.  No one plays there any more, it's way too crowded. ;-)

(Actually it's gotten better later in my experience, they have some Marshall's that are doing their job).

Edited by No Mulligans

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Woodland/Kim/Hossler shot 75/78/79 respectively, and were shitty right out the gate so they never were all well out of it and never made the tv coverage. ;)

LMAO ... proofread much? ;)

• Like 1

I didnt watch, but I heard Holmes took 4 mins on 1 shot alone yesterday on Morning Drive and in this thread. Was there a good reason for this or something?

Stuff like this isnt good for the sport....

Edited by cutchemist42

11 minutes ago, cutchemist42 said:

I didnt watch, but I heard Holmes took 4 mins on 1 shot alone yesterday on Morning Drive and in this thread. Was there a good reason for this or something?

Stuff like this isnt good for the sport....

It was the final group, on the 18th hole, all three of them still had a chance to win the tournament, it was going beyond the 7:00 hour, people who never watch golf were switching over to see the Grammy's.   In short, it was what the PGA Tour prays for: drama.   And JB Holmes, whose turn it was to hit his shot, stood there, and stood there, and stood there, and stood there.   Any viewer tuning in at that hour saw a bearded man standing staring off into the distance for what seemed like forever. 

If the PGA Tour wants to expand viewership, it was an absolute disaster.  As I watched it, I grew angrier and angrier. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Watching Holmes' glacial pace made me root against him. I wanted him to put it in the lake on 18. He then decided to lay up and messed that up too making me happy. No excuses for these guys.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2259 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!