IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

My game deteriorated at bit this fall and I reluctantly entered our big money fall tournament (straight alternate shot for 36 holes). I thought that I was being unfair to my partner because it costs a lot to enter and I was concerned we wouldn't compete. Well, I pulled myself up by my golf shoe straps and played pretty well. My partner played even better and we ended up tied for first. We screwed the pooch in the playoff but the envelopes full of money that we received for second place was a nice consolation. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wanted to break 90 for 2 or 3 years even, got close a few times but couldn’t. Over the winter I worked a lot with a coach, on putting and then in the spring I got my wedges dialed in for distance. I am now regularly breaking 90, usually only a hole or two will stop me from breaking 80. So my best 9 hole result is +1 for example. 

I will be working on my game a lot over the winter and I expect to break 80 next year. 

I hadn't posted anything here in a while, mainly because my game had devolved into a pile of lukewarm garbage.  My contact was terrible, my distance was consistently lacking, and it had all gotten progressively worse the more I played in my league.  I've also started a new job as the Work Based Learning Coordinator in a high school, and I've been super busy, and my swing had suffered even more.

So, I finally broke down and took a lesson.  He uses Trackman, Boditrak, and slow motion video, and the results were eye opening.  My hips were too far forward, which of course was causing me to chop down on the ball.  I was also laying the club off at the top which was causing me to come over the top.  All of this resulted in the poor contact.

With a few adjustments, I went from hitting weak, low 7 irons less than 120 yards, to hitting towering shots over 150 yards.  Now, I am working on the positions that he got me into, and I can really feel the difference in the contact that I am making.  I am going to be getting a series of lessons from my super-awesome wife for Christmas, so I am really looking forward to making more improvement.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• Administrator
2 hours ago, bwdial said:

I hadn't posted anything here in a while, mainly because my game had devolved into a pile of lukewarm garbage.  My contact was terrible, my distance was consistently lacking, and it had all gotten progressively worse the more I played in my league.  I've also started a new job as the Work Based Learning Coordinator in a high school, and I've been super busy, and my swing had suffered even more.

So, I finally broke down and took a lesson.  He uses Trackman, Boditrak, and slow motion video, and the results were eye opening.  My hips were too far forward, which of course was causing me to chop down on the ball.  I was also laying the club off at the top which was causing me to come over the top.  All of this resulted in the poor contact.

With a few adjustments, I went from hitting weak, low 7 irons less than 120 yards, to hitting towering shots over 150 yards.  Now, I am working on the positions that he got me into, and I can really feel the difference in the contact that I am making.  I am going to be getting a series of lessons from my super-awesome wife for Christmas, so I am really looking forward to making more improvement.

Great! Lessons with a good instructor are helpful.

Maybe now you can begin updating this again:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My golf game is presently in mothballs until April, but I'll be ready to go.

By this season's end, I had my first complete bag overhaul since 2009.

I'm also down to a conforming fouteen clubs, which is always a plus.

I managed that with 6º gaps at th short end--42° 9-iron and 48-54-60 wedge complement.

After a near non-existent 2020 Covid-restrictions diminished season, the whole club is jabbed and everything got back close to normal this season.

It rained most of July, but by August, I was playing somethging resembling golf for the first time in a while.  GIR rate got reasonable.  Doubles minimized.  

Looking forward to next season already.

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

13 minutes ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

but by August, I was playing something resembling golf for the first time in a while.  GIR rate got reasonable.  Doubles minimized.  

That's awesome. 

13 minutes ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

I'm also down to a conforming fourteen clubs, which is always a plus.

Oh my goodness! This so reminds me of my dad. I started playing golf in my 20's and ever since I can remember my dad has carried more than 14 clubs. At one point I was lugging his huge-ass-cart-bag out to the car and I counted 21 clubs, plus a ball retriever. Hell, there might have been a Golden Retriever in their that damned bag was so heavy. 😓

Anyway, there was never any point in telling my pops that 14 clubs is the legal limit. His response was always the same "Ah, that's a bullshit rule." ... Honestly, how do you argue with that? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

19 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Requesting permission to use your Dad's approach to the rules on penalty shots.

I'm sure he'll allow you to follow "Chet's Dad's Rules" any time you like. 

He's really a good dude. I've enjoyed golfing with him over these many many years. ... Even if he doesn't "always" follow the rules. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

That's awesome. 

Oh my goodness! This so reminds me of my dad. I started playing golf in my 20's and ever since I can remember my dad has carried more than 14 clubs. At one point I was lugging his huge-ass-cart-bag out to the car and I counted 21 clubs, plus a ball retriever. Hell, there might have been a Golden Retriever in their that damned bag was so heavy. 😓

Anyway, there was never any point in telling my pops that 14 clubs is the legal limit. His response was always the same "Ah, that's a bullshit rule." ... Honestly, how do you argue with that? 

Even the cart bag manufactures provide for fifteen clubs with fourteen individual full-length dividers pls a discrete putter well on many of them.

Edited by trombettista_vecchio

TaylorMade 300___307cc driver, 13.5°                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Top Flite Titanium Intimidator 400___3, 5, 7, 9 woods                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Mizuno Fli Hi II___driving iron                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist T300___7, 8, 9, PW, AW, GW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Titleist SM6___LW                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Tad Moore Chicopee___putter                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Titleist Pro V1x___ball

2 hours ago, trombettista_vecchio said:

Even the cart bag manufactures provide for fifteen clubs with fourteen individual full-length dividers pls a discrete putter well on many of them.

You might have mistaken the umbrella tray...

As the calendar year draws to a close thank you all for putting up with me, and allowing me into your insights.

The golf posting season is now ended but play continues on for my second winter (it is awesome!). This year has been good for me although I still have things I would like to correct. I am in awe of all of you that work diligently on your swings. If I ever find an instructor like my first, and find enough time to add practice I will join you in that quest. For now I love to play too much. Advance Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

4 hours ago, KMP said:

As the calendar year draws to a close thank you all for putting up with me, and allowing me into your insights.

The golf posting season is now ended but play continues on for my second winter (it is awesome!). This year has been good for me although I still have things I would like to correct. I am in awe of all of you that work diligently on your swings. If I ever find an instructor like my first, and find enough time to add practice I will join you in that quest. For now I love to play too much. Advance Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you!

Winter is a good time to work on changes. Have you tried Evolvr? Instruction there is top notch and you work at your own pace if your time is limited.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

My brother just got great news, he will be playing Augusta National. He kind of anticipated it as an acquaintance got the invite to join a few years ago, but it doesn't take away from the thrill of actually getting invited. Two days of golf with an overnight in the cabins. I will not be filling out the group. 🤕

Edited by phan52

Bill M

52 minutes ago, phan52 said:

My brother just got great news, he will be playing Augusta National. He kind of anticipated it as an acquaintance got the invite to join a few years ago, but it doesn't take away from the thrill of actually getting invited. Two days of golf with an overnight in the cabins. I will not be filling out the group. 🤕

Go be his caddy!

On 12/2/2021 at 3:36 PM, Killa said:

You might have mistaken the umbrella tray...

No, there is a separate umbrella sleeve.

Fairly common cart bag protocol is fourteen individual dividers PLUS a putter well.

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:04 PM, phan52 said:

Well, my brother got to play Augusta and he says it exceeded his expectations. They flew early into Augusta, played that afternoon, a tour and dinner in the clubhouse and a night in the cabins. Breakfast in the morning (no menus, just, what do you want?), 18 more that morning and the par three course in the afternoon. Birdied 12 and 16. He is still floating on air. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill M