IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

Earlier this afternoon I was forced into spending some quality time with my Grand Daughter on the driving range. It  doesn't take much "forcing" when it comes to spending time with my second set of youngsters. 

She is progressing quite well with her golf game. Her, and her long game instructor are getting along just fine, and his instruction is easy for her to understand. She is a very intelligent young lady. Perhaps tomorrow evening we will work together on her short game. 

She was in Phoenix this past week visiting a college friend. They played 18.  She told me she finally, (honestly) broke 100, with a 95. 

Apparently she is getting quite interested in her golf game. Like a lot of accomplished athletes in other sports, she thought the game of golf was going to be easy to play. I ask her if she thought the game was hard. She told me "no, but it is challenging". 

This post may be off topic because it is not about my game, but it is very uplifting to me, which is all that matters anyway. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Saturday, i shot my best round ever- one over 73.  The best part was that i was 4 over after the third hole,and still 4 over at the turn.  I finished strong -  three under on the back (also personal best).  I I have shot 74 and 75s in the past couple of years, but always had started great and managed to stumble on the way in. I have lost 120 lbs in the past 5 months, and i swear i think i may be more proud of this round of golf than i am in my weight loss(which i am pretty proud of...)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a few uplifting moments yesterday, the most basic being that we were able to get a round in at all! A cold front and nasty thunderstorms rolled through in the morning, and I got a text saying golf was canceled.

The rain moved through rather quickly and I had just got in the car to run some errands, noticing large patches of blue sky heading our way. Before I got out of the driveway my cell rang. When I saw my buddy's name I started to laugh, knowing what was coming! I answered and he said, "Ready to golf?!"

On the 9th hole, a dogleg left par 4 with a tee shot over a large pond. I striped a drive about 240 (that's striping a drive for me these days), with a baby hook to about 85 yards from the green. I then hit a wedge to about 10 feet. I missed the putt, but my buddy made it. We were playing a 2 man scramble.

Then, on the 10th, a straightaway par 5, I hit another drive dead down the center line of the fairway, a 3 wood that cleared the creek, leaving us a short, uphill pitch to the hole no more than 30-40 feet away. I hit a pitch to about 8 feet and my buddy sunk his pitch shot for eagle! 

It went that way quite a few times. I'd set it up and he'd take the punch line. The season is getting short here, and we have a tee time booked for next Thursday, but with the weather heading our way, I don't know if it's in the cards.

Hi guys. I've been away. Last year there was a death in the family. This year I was on a long vacation. I haven't had much chance to play golf except for a few rounds. I got a little practice in mostly to keep my swing loose. My shoulders are feeling better and I've come to the conclusion that my swing is what it is and that as long as I can make decent contact with the ball I should concentrate on learning how to play the game. Still with my spaghetti bowl swing, I can shoot in the low-mid-40s for 9 unless I really bottle it, which I've done. Everyone does it. I've learned to play what my game gives me and just enjoy the afternoon. Play the ball where it lies and don't get mad. 

What changed everything: watching a video of a guy on Youtube with a swing that had two hitches in it shoot a 79 from the blue tees. He took the game as it came to him. He shamelessly used a chipper around the green. His putting was very good. And he had fun playing. So I took a page out of that book. 

I played a round with a guy I met on the 5th hole. I'd finally got my first par of the day on 4. He was waiting for "Jordan Spieth" in front of him to hit. I checked his distance with my Bushnell - I'd never hit him with my drive. Then I really ripped it... for me anyway... 250. The ball stopped right next to him. So we hooked up and finished the round. Very enjoyable day. Highlights of the day was a monster drive on 8 that ended up under a tree, but I hit a knockdown with my GW and rolled it 8 feet from the hole. Missed the birdie by an inch. 9th hole - par 5: my nemesis - drive went dead center between the two fairway bunkers. Not wanting to mess up the hole, I took out a 6 iron and laid up to the bunkers in the front. Pitched on and drained a six footer for a birdie. It always feels good to beat your nemesis hole. 

We have about another month left here of decent golf before the weather hits. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 2 weeks later...

Rained every morning this week! Set up a tee time this morning on the chance the weatherman was correct about  the rain moving out before 6 AM. Temp was mid-forties with 20-25 MPH winds out of the west. Only encountered a few sprinkles through out the round. We were the first group (threesome) on the course and played in three hours and five minutes. We shot well enough for the first chilly day of the Fall season. 42-40 on a par 70 at 5900 yards. Fairways were wet, bunkers looked like small lakes! 

Hope to play into December again like last year! That is unusual in the Upper Midwest however. 

• 2 weeks later...

This year, both my wife and I recorded Sandy Birdie for the first time. 

I recorded my 2nd eagle, too.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

In my golf life I've hit 2 holes in one.

5 years ago I jarred an 8 iron from 156 during a members tournament... that was expensive. 

10 years ago, I hit an incredibly sexy 6 iron from 184 that found the bottom of the cup. 

What I'm most happy about is that both of those were well struck. No fluky, off the cart-path lucky kinds of things. Just pure iron strikes, with plenty of witnesses. 

I figure I'm supposed to hit one every 5 years... so, I'm due. … At least, I hope so. 

• Upvote 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

5 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

In my golf life I've hit 2 holes in one.

5 years ago I jarred an 8 iron from 156 during a members tournament... that was expensive. 

10 years ago, I hit an incredibly sexy 6 iron from 184 that found the bottom of the cup. 

What I'm most happy about is that both of those were well struck. No fluky, off the cart-path lucky kinds of things. Just pure iron strikes, with plenty of witnesses. 

I figure I'm supposed to hit one every 5 years... so, I'm due. … At least, I hope so. 

Well done, and a belated welcome!  One of the (many) cool things about this site is the recognition of some of our achievements.  If you post a quick description of your holes in one to this thread:

You'll get a nice little badge under your posts.  And before you think you're due, I had about 30 years between my first and second aces.  Lucky for me, I managed to catch up to my wife.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

We had a little change in plans for an October road trip. We were going drive the coach back to Pennsylvania to help out with a sick relative. (Brother in Law) A quick trip there, and meandering trip back, sight seeing, and some golf. Golf at some new to me venues to be more precise.

We decided not to deal with the posibility of driving in bad weather, and my wife decided to fly back instead. This leaves me batching it with our two dogs for a couple of weeks (?) or so. This decision was made after we had made the coach road ready for a few thousand miles. 

So, I dropped her off at the airport this evening, and tomorrow morning, myself, and "The Boys" are going to motor down south, and find some golf courses. Some golf for me, and new wide open desert for them. They are good "boondockers" with plenty of traveling experience. 

First stop will be Laughlin Nevada for a few days, and then farther south after that. No real itenerary. I am just going to follow the white lines on the road. Maybe read a few road signs

The Laughlin/Bullhead City area offers up some pretty decent golf courses. Some I have yet to play. My favorite is the course at the Avi Resort. It's not uncommon to run into some Hollywood big shot actor there sometimes. 

This will be a true golf road trip for me. I will however have to pace myself, so as not to over do it. More R&R than golf is the plan. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Dave, I'm sorry but I have to hate you. I've been playing golf for 50 years and have never had a hole in one. And yes, I've hit some solid shots, a number of which have hit the pin but always kicked sideways. My father lived with us the last year of his life and every day when I walked in he would ask me my score and whether or not I had a hole in one that day. When I said I didn't get one, he'd tell me that he had 7 in his golfing life. 

If your living on the 5 year plan, you are due. My only hope is that one of my friends just got his first one. He's 84 used a driver to  a 165 yard par 3. It went in. 

3 hours ago, scarlethorn said:

Dave, I'm sorry but I have to hate you. I've been playing golf for 50 years and have never had a hole in one. And yes, I've hit some solid shots, a number of which have hit the pin but always kicked sideways. My father lived with us the last year of his life and every day when I walked in he would ask me my score and whether or not I had a hole in one that day. When I said I didn't get one, he'd tell me that he had 7 in his golfing life. 

If your living on the 5 year plan, you are due. My only hope is that one of my friends just got his first one. He's 84 used a driver to  a 165 yard par 3. It went in. 

LOL, don't hate me please, there's always hope for every player.  I met a gentleman named John Derr.  Mr. Derr was a journalist of some repute.  As a teenager, he was invited to cover the second Masters for a small NC newspaper.  He covered 60-some consecutive Masters, first newspaper, then radio, part of the first TV telecast.  He was a life-long golfer, and got his first ace when he was just over 90 years old.  Its never too late!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:07 AM, saevel25 said:

I shot my first round under par every last year, and I broke 70 for the first time ever. I shot a 69. (insert pat on the back emoticon) :-D

That''s just awesome!  Congrats.

As for me, I am still improving my golf after 8 years of playing golf.   No topping out.   Another 8 years, I can break into single HI range, so I hope.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, DaveP043 said:

Well done, and a belated welcome!  One of the (many) cool things about this site is the recognition if some of our achievements.  If you post a quick description of your holes in one to this thread:

Okay, so my first hole in one was way back in 2005. The background story is that I had recently gotten rid of the PING EYE2's which I had played for better than 10 years to get fitted for a set of PING G2's. I ended up hating them. Played them for 8 months and (thank God for my wife supporting me) got refitted for a set of Callaway Fusion Irons. 

Anyway, I showed up for what was I think my 4th or 5th round with my new irons and sure enough the rest of my foursome had to cancel on me. I almost went home. But instead I decided to play alone. (Wait for it.) I was on my home track and played the first 4 holes 1 over. On hole 5 a twosome said, "Hey, why don't you play this hole with us? … Then you can move past us either on the par 4 or the upcoming par 5." So, I played hole 5 with a couple of guys I knew because they were also members of the course, but not part of my usual group.

Hole 5 is a 180-190 yard par 3, uphill to a crowned green surrounded by brutally deep bunkers. To this point it was the only hole on the course I had never made a birdie on. This day it played at 184. I pulled my new Callaway Fusion 6 iron. I stood over the ball and thought "Geez, just put a decent swing on this so these guys don't regret letting me play with them." Sure enough, well struck drawing right toward it. We saw it bounce once then a moment passes and we hear it "click". Couldn't quite see it due to the uphill and the crown of the green. 

I figured it hit the pin and rolled away, but nope. It dropped. I played the next couple holes then I called my wife from the 8th tee-box. I bought the two guys drinks at the clubhouse and they signed my card. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, DaveP043 said:

Well done, and a belated welcome!  One of the (many) cool things about this site is the recognition of some of our achievements.  If you post a quick description of your holes in one to this thread:

Okay, So back in 2013 I was playing in a members tournament at my local course. (They called it a tournament... really its only 1 round, so members day... I guess?) I was pretty much stinking up the tournament. I had been playing pretty well the weeks up to the tournament (playing off around an 8 hcp). Anyway, I finding new ways to screw up every hole. I was still enjoying the round because I was playing with a good group of friends in my foursome. By hole 15 I was like 20 over par, so in terms of the tournament I knew I was out of it. Hole 15 is a par 3. One of those with 2 teeing areas; One back on the other side of the cart path (190-200 yards), one in front of the cart part (140-160 yards), and then the entire carry is over water. So, for the tournament, shockingly, the tee was up close. Turned out to be 156 yards. 

I wasn't playing great so I just grabbed my 8 iron and headed to the tee. My friend was like aren't you going to measure it. (referring to the laser scope.) "Nah, it's an 8 iron." I respond. "You should measure it." he says. I look at the tee box look at the hole. "Nah, man, when the tee is there and the flag is there it's always an 8 iron." I say. "Okay..." He says. 

Sure enough struck a perfect 8 iron flying high and straight at the flag. The ball landed maybe 18 inches from the hole took a hop a little to the left and rolled right in. I looked at my buddy. "See! I told you it was an 8 iron!" 

2 things about that hole in one.

Thank God, everyone took it easy on me in the club house. Because after the members tournament it could have gotten really really expensive in terms of buying drinks. I still spent quite a wad, but I think I actually got off easy.

The other thing was that it totally turned around a rather blah day on the course. I hit the ace on 15, birdied 16 (granted easiest hole on the course, but still), birdied 17, and parred 18 (one of the tougher holes). So, I finished my members tourney going, Eagle, Birdie, Birdie, Par and ended up shooting a 16 over 88. Which was an 80 after my handicap... I still finished in the bottom third, but the way things were going after 14 holes I truly thought I might actually come in dead last.  

Being a newer golfer here, I’ve had some pretty exciting “first timers” in the past few months. 

1) Made birdie on a Par 5 at The Port Course at Harborside GC here in Chicago. That was amazing. 

2) Had the opportunity to play Medinah #3. Incredibly humbling and amazing at the same time. 

3) Had an amazing experience of playing in 50 degree weather (with rain!) at the Pete Dye course at Firethorn CC in Lincoln, NE.  My fiancé’s family are members, so I can play there anytime when visiting! 

4) Learned how to hit a fade with my driver today. That was amazing. 

I finally feel like I am making progress. 

This past Saturday I played with some neighbors on a course I know well. I was hitting the driver well all day. Then on hole 11 (a relatively easy par 4) I suddenly over-cook my driver and send it deep out of bounds on the left. Oh well, 3 from the tee, I can still make bogey. Nope, snap hook then next drive much worse than the previous one. Hmmm.... 5 from the tee. Oh, my goodness, another snap hook... now it's in my head. I’m about to hit 7 from the tee. So, I go grab a 7 iron from the bag and just knock a ball out into the fat part of the fairway.  

Now, the part I’m proud of. We tee off on hole 12. I pulled driver and tried to relax. Exhaled. I slowed everything down. Stepped up to the ball and absolutely striped it! My best drive of the day. It was a little right of center but still in the fairway. 306 yards. (Before, this post gets moved to the “Stop Lying About Your Distance” thread.) 306 yards is what Arccos tells me it went. (Plus, I only had 46 yards to the pin on a 365 yard hole, so it was probably correct.) 

I ended up birdieing hole 12 after taking an 11 on hole 11. (My friends and I named it the Spinal Tap Hole.) I shot 87 for the day. Which I didn’t think was too bad after having an 11 on the card.  

What I’m really proud of is that there once was a time when a blow-up hole like that would have totally derailed my round.  Or at least made me completely lose faith in the driver. But I pulled it back together and got back on track. Hit the best drive of my round and made a birdie. 2 holes later I pulled driver again on a notorious “Non-Driver” hole -> Water on the left heavy trees on the right. Was able to fade it toward the trees and keep it dry and only just off the fairway on the right.

There’s an old saying that “Confidence won’t keep an airplane in the air”. But I can tell you from experience that if you lose your confidence it will absolutely hurt your golf game. Not sure if that's the kind of thing that supposed to go in this thread, but I was really proud of it, so I thought I'd share. 

• Like 1

I started playing golf about 5 years ago, but began to play on a regular basis in the last year.  Through attentive practice and watching the techniques of better players I've learned a great deal to help my own game.  One thing that resonates with me is that I perform the best when my game is in harmony with my personality.  My personality is more of a state of calm and relaxed.  When I tune my swing and tempo to be like my state of mind, things just seem nature and fall into place. However, when I try to play a more aggressive game in the attempt to hit the ball harder or force a shot, it just doesn't feel right, and more often than I don't score as well.  I like say to myself, "Golf is not an easy game, but it is a game of ease."

Edited by greatgolfahead

Played Monday in 40-50 degree weather. Not many golfers until we finished, Lot's of 70-80 year old's were teeing off on the first hole when we finished. Temp's were in the mid-50's at that time! Good to see people getting out to play. Just set up a time for tomorrow about 9AM. Weather looks good! Hope to play into mid or late November. 

• Like 1