IGNORED

2018 Arnold Palmer Invitational

colin007
Note: This thread is 2231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mini SLIG

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, RFKFREAK said:

Hey, Johnny Miller, please tell us again that Rory should lay off the weights. :roll:

Johnny is pitiful - nothing good to say, really, about anyone - he always comes off petty to me, IMO.  For that matter, I suspect after all the DeCham (he needs to speed up though, college golf is really creating bad habits in the new crowd) hating on Saturday they were told to cool it too - I doubt he'd have done it on his own.  Lately announcers add zero to the show other than pointless snark anyway.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

28 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Johnny is pitiful - nothing good to say, really, about anyone - he always comes off petty to me, IMO.  For that matter, I suspect after all the DeCham (he needs to speed up though, college golf is really creating bad habits in the new crowd) hating on Saturday they were told to cool it too - I doubt he'd have done it on his own.  Lately announcers add zero to the show other than pointless snark anyway.

He sounds like he doesn't want to do his job anymore if you ask me.

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

Johnny is pitiful - nothing good to say, really, about anyone - he always comes off petty to me, IMO.

I don't think a large portion of the fans actually listen to what he's saying.

He gets knocked for things that aren't really even all that accurate. He doesn't talk about his 63 at Oakmont. He doesn't only knock the players. He was offering very high praise of Rory, DeChambeau, and others yesterday.

The list goes on.

I feel like, when Johnny first came out as an announcer, he developed a reputation, and a lot of people are too lazy to actually see if that decades-old reputation is still accurate or not.

It's not, IMO.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Lately announcers add zero to the show other than pointless snark anyway.

I enjoy listening to the players and caddies analyzing a shot, and it always cheesed me off when the announcers would talk over them.  Not long ago, my 98-year-old mom called me and said her TV wasn't working right, so I went over to see what the problem was.  It turned out that she had somehow accidentally set it for Spanish as the primary audio stream.  None of the stations she watched had a Spanish audio stream, or the problem would have been obvious.  On the stations she did watch, she either got English anyway, or no spoken dialog at all.

The point of all this is that on the Golf Channel, she got all the ambient sounds, but no announcers.  We could hear the birds, the balls being hit and landing, and best of all, the interaction between the players and caddies, but no announcers.  It was great.   I hated to fix it for her, and I sometimes set it that way on my TV.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

He was offering very high praise of Rory, DeChambeau, and others yesterday.

The contrast was huge vs Saturday.  Like I said, my personal take on it was they got 'recalibrated' to turn down the angst so the pendulum swing the other way.  YMMV.

Bill - 

The problem with people is they can't handle the truth really well or someone calling it like it is. Johnny calls it like it is on both end of the spectrum. I prefer guys like that. He is awesome in my opinion.

Favorite all time Johnny was Craig Parry at Doral commenting on his swing.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

2 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

The problem with people is they can't handle the truth really well or someone calling it like it is.

The other problem is they think anyone who disagrees with them has a character defect.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MuniGrit said:

Johnny calls it like it is on both end of the spectrum. I prefer guys like that. He is awesome in my opinion.

The problem is, he’s not calling it like it is unless he is actually saying correct stuff. A person can have strong opinions, voice them, and say good information. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

The problem is, he’s not calling it like it is unless he is actually saying correct stuff. A person can have strong opinions, voice them, and say good information. 

Just out of curiosity what does he say that is incorrect? I’m not saying he has never said incorrect things but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. I think he’s opinionated but mostly fair and lends decent perspective.

19 hours ago, rehmwa said:

Johnny is pitiful - nothing good to say, really, about anyone - he always comes off petty to me, IMO.

I agree.  He's as negative of a TV announcer as you'll find.  It has nothing to do whether he's right or wrong about any particular opinion. Perhaps he does "call it like it is", but that doesn't make it enjoyable television for me to watch.  He needs to look for the positive, and be engaging with his audience - he doesn't do this, IMO.  I only barely prefer him over "Sir" Nick Faldo, who I think of as a caricature of an announcer.

I did meet Johnny Miller once a few years back when I was volunteering at the BMW at Cherry Hills.  Super nice in person, engaged me in conversation, shook my hand, asked me about my own game and actually seemed to really want to chat with me.  I was dumbfounded by the difference between that encounter and my on-air perception of him. So at the end of the day, I think he's a nice guy with a kind heart ... but I don't enjoy listening to him announce.  

9 hours ago, skydog said:

Just out of curiosity what does he say that is incorrect? I’m not saying he has never said incorrect things but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. I think he’s opinionated but mostly fair and lends decent perspective

He's said stuff like (a true example), "That ball hit the flagstick, if it didn't hit the flagstick, it would have went in." Then the camera would zoom in on the ball, and the ball clearly misses the flagstick. He then doubles down on his wrongness by saying, "You see the ball nick it right there!". The ball never touched the flagstick. The ball lipped out like any other putt that was hit too hard and catches the edge.

He's the classic example of stating something, probably realizing what he said was wrong, and then trying to justify it through conviction.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

He's the classic example of stating something, probably realizing what he said was wrong, and then trying to justify it through conviction.

He does do this. Occasionally he says stuff about how Tiger "dials in the fade while the ball is on the face."

On the whole, though, I like Johnny Miller. It's real. He calls a poor shot a poor shot.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

28 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's because of dumb commentary like this, btw, that a lot of people think the flagstick can hurt you.

Not sure if this worked, copying it from a different thread ... but calling you out, @iacas :whistle:

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Not sure if this worked, copying it from a different thread ... but calling you out, @iacas :whistle:

You can only call me out if I said something like "everything Johnny says is correct."

I mean, quite literally the post above yours, I'm acknowledging that Johnny says dumb things or incorrect things from time to time.

But he's real, and he gives credit when due, and calls a poor shot a poor shot, and gives his opinion.

Which is his job.

People who rip on Johnny, it's like they're relying on a script that's 20 years old and not actually listening to what he says. Yes, he says dumb things now and then, but he's neither as obnoxious nor as wrong as people with the old script seem to think.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

I mean, quite literally the post above yours, I'm acknowledging that Johnny says dumb things or incorrect things from time to time.

Fair enough, missed it because I was typing my own reply. I'm completely ok with you liking him, and for me not appreciating his commentary. A part of me will still be sad when he retires because, to me, in many ways he epitomizes an entire era of golf in much the same way that Jack and Arnie do.

My only gripe with Johnny is his insistence upon reviewing a player's swing after they've hit it OB or something and during the slow mo, describe precisely why the shot went where it went.

I'd love to see him watch slow mo swings and without seeing the result, tell us where the ball goes.

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

Note: This thread is 2231 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!