IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note:Β This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Is this the Masters Discussion thread or the All Things Tiger thread? Jeez, it's nothing but Tiger can, didn't, has to, or still could, blah blah blah... He's in what, 29th place? Yet he's all you guys talk about. I hate to break it to you, but it's 2018, not 2008. So many guys have an A game as good or better then Tiger does now, and he's trailing a boat load of them. Β 

Well, so don’t mention Tiger. He’s the biggest story and my favorite to win. I’m most interested in Tiger. I don’t care what Leishman shot. Tiger on a path to making a comeback. I’d say he’s done remarkable in the time frame given. Stats are stats, but nobody would’ve expected Sergio to carve a 13 on #15. Anything can happen including Tiger getting back on top.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, GrandStranded said:

Is this the Masters Discussion thread or the All Things Tiger thread? Jeez, it's nothing but Tiger can, didn't, has to, or still could, blah blah blah... He's in what, 29th place? Yet he's all you guys talk about. I hate to break it to you, but it's 2018, not 2008. There are so many guys have an A game as good or better then Tiger does now, and he's trailing a boat load of them. Β 

Ok, Jordan Spieth made 4 straight birdies to shoot 66 today... He gained more strokes tee to green than putting as the announcers would make you believe.,

Tony Finau dislocates his ankle in the Par-3 after an ace, and dazzles with an opening round 68.

Matt Kuchar in the most fun group of the day fires an opening round 68 to share second with Finau.

McIlroy leads a group of seven tied at -3 (69)

Three time Champion Mickelson is 4 behind with 70... he had an opening hole birdie...Β 

Vijay Singh leads the over-50 crowd at -1, Couples shot 72 for those of you who care as is J-Rose

Tiger, Bubba, and DJ are 7 strokes behind at +1(73). Six Green Jackets among those three.

Defending Champion Sergio Garcia made a 13 on the 15th Hole on route to an 81.

Is that better @GrandStranded 1 word... just where he is in relation to the A players in front of him.

Anyone wanna take a jab at what the 36-hole cut will be? Remember the lowest cut in Masters history is 145 (+1) It won't get that low. I'm saying 148.... I don't think the 10-shot rule comes into effect... but currently there are 54 players at +2 or better so the general rule is to double it... so I'm saying 148 though it may go as high as 149... Any other thoughts?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

16 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well, so don’t mention Tiger. He’s the biggest story and my favorite to win. I’m most interested in Tiger. I don’t care what Leishman shot. Tiger on a path to making a comeback. I’d say he’s done remarkable in the time frame given. Stats are stats, but nobody would’ve expected Sergio to carve a 13 on #15. Anything can happen including Tiger getting back on top.

He's one of my 3 A players in my Masters pool, so I'd love to see him get back in it too. My point though is, after playing an afternoon round today, and avoiding any news, I just finished watching the replay, then read this thread. It's unreal if you read todays posts back all at once. The first round of The Masters is being played and recounted, and it must be 75% tiger talk. If Sergio didn't have the 13 it might have been 90%. That's a Tiger fan club, not a Masters forum.

Edited by GrandStranded

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

7 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Ok, Jordan Spieth made 4 straight birdies to shoot 66 today... He gained more strokes tee to green than putting as the announcers would make you believe.,

Tony Finau dislocates his ankle in the Par-3 after an ace, and dazzles with an opening round 68.

Matt Kuchar in the most fun group of the day fires an opening round 68 to share second with Finau.

McIlroy leads a group of seven tied at -3 (69)

Three time Champion Mickelson is 4 behind with 70... he had an opening hole birdie...Β 

Vijay Singh leads the over-50 crowd at -1, Couples shot 72 for those of you who care as is J-Rose

Tiger, Bubba, and DJ are 7 strokes behind at +1(73). Six Green Jackets among those three.

Defending Champion Sergio Garcia made a 13 on the 15th Hole on route to an 81.

Is that better @GrandStranded 1 word... just where he is in relation to the A players in front of him.

Anyone wanna take a jab at what the 36-hole cut will be? Remember the lowest cut in Masters history is 145 (+1) It won't get that low. I'm saying 148.... I don't think the 10-shot rule comes into effect... but currently there are 54 players at +2 or better so the general rule is to double it... so I'm saying 148 though it may go as high as 149... Any other thoughts?

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

A bunch of guys were saying the other day this is a smaller field then normal. Assuming no ties, how many would make the cut? Would they still do within 10 strokes if it's a larger % then usual? I have no idea how it works....

PING G400 Max 9*Β  TaylormadeΒ  M2 15*Β  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22* Β  Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GWΒ  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*Β  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

9 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

A bunch of guys were saying the other day this is a smaller field then normal. Assuming no ties, how many would make the cut? Would they still do within 10 strokes if it's a larger % then usual? I have no idea how it works....

Low 50 and Ties and those within 10 strokes of the leader.

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

8 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Β 

Top 50. The 10 shot rule is only effective if more than 50 guys are within 10 shots of the lead.Β 

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-cut-rule-at-the-masters-tournament-1564627

Just now, onthehunt526 said:

Low 50 and Ties and those within 10 strokes of the leader.

If that's the case, how does +2 sound?

Just now, Dr. Manhattan said:

Β 

Top 50. The 10 shot rule is only effective if more than 50 guys are within 10 shots of the lead.Β 

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-the-cut-rule-at-the-masters-tournament-1564627

I'm going with 148 (+4) depending on what the weather does tomorrow afternoon. It may sneak to 149 (+5), however I don't think it goes the other way.

1 minute ago, GrandStranded said:

If that's the case, how does +2 sound?

Too low... If you took made the cut after 18 holes it would be +2... I usually take the average score after the first round and double it... but I haven't had the time to look at the Round 1 stats yet. That's why I said +4.

2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

I'm going with 148 (+4) depending on what the weather does tomorrow afternoon. It may sneak to 149 (+5), however I don't think it goes the other way.

Not sure, but I think the bad weather is coming Saturday (rain).

4 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

Too low... If you took made the cut after 18 holes it would be +2... I usually take the average score after the first round and double it... but I haven't had the time to look at the Round 1 stats yet. That's why I said +4.

Ok. I 'm not good at that at all, just figured if +1 was 29th, must be about 60 at +3Β 

Just heard Duval and Chamblee say the winner is coming out of the top 10. Too many good players, and Spieth at the top.

5 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

Not sure, but I think the bad weather is coming Saturday (rain).

The scoring average today was 73.7932. So if you double that it's 147.5864 which with the cut being more than half of the field... you figure on the 148 or higher end... I'll stick with 148.Β 

I know you're gonna shoot me, but Tiger has never missed the cut at the Masters as a professional. Not one.

2 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

The scoring average today was 73.7932. So if you double that it's 147.5864 which with the cut being more than half of the field... you figure on the 148 or higher end... I'll stick with 148.Β 

I know you're gonna shoot me, but Tiger has never missed the cut at the Masters as a professional. Not one.

We can both mail him a Gold star! LOL You'll be pissed if you jinxed him..

Edited by GrandStranded

34 minutes ago, GrandStranded said:

We can both mail him a Gold star! LOL You'll be pissed if you jinxed him..

Damn it...I came back and you’re still talking about Tiger?!?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I'll be an interesting Friday. Spieth had an amazing back nine and could get a great lead if he keeps it up. There are a few contenders chasing though, so I hope he won't run away with it. The players at par or a couple over are dangerously far off, but there's still 75% of the tournament left and Spieth is up by two. With a good round in there and those in top 10 having a day off, things can even out. Spieth heads out a bit earlier today, which can give the later starts a clue to what the lead will be, but with Spieth's back nine yesterday, you can't tell until his round is over.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Sergio saying that he made a 13 without missing a shot. I like the guy, but that sounds a bit weird.. At least one of the shots looked pretty awful and if not bad shots, they were definitely stupid, trying the same shot all over again and expecting a different result!

1 hour ago, onthehunt526 said:

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

5 straight :-)

Β 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

Is this the Masters Discussion thread or the All Things Tiger thread? Jeez, it's nothing but Tiger can, didn't, has to, or still could, blah blah blah... He's in what, 29th place? Yet he's all you guys talk about. I hate to break it to you, but it's 2018, not 2008. So many guys have an A game as good or better then Tiger does now, and he's trailing a boat load of them. Β 

So instead of talking about something else, you talk about those talking about him.

Got it.

:doh:

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Today's featured groups:

9:14 a.m. – Fred Couples, Haotong Li, Joaquin Niemann
10:31 a.m. – Phil Mickelson, Rickie Fowler, Matt Kuchar
1:27 p.m. – Tiger Woods, Marc Leishman, Tommy Fleetwood
2:00 p.m. – Patrick Reed, Charley Hoffman, Adam Hadwin

I don't know when they pick these, but it's a bit weird they don't show Jordan's group. He does start around the same time as the Phil, Rickie and Kuchar group, so maybe they went with the trio instead.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note:Β This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!