IGNORED

12th Hole At Augusta under 2018 Sunday Conditions, how would you play it?

onthehunt526
Note: This thread is 2200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 4/9/2018 at 10:04 AM, klineka said:

You're a 9.5 hcp playing Augusta National for probably the one and only time in your life, with Sunday pin positions, and you would lay up on a ~150 yd par 3? That doesnt make sense to me. 

That green is a little target. Playing the 12th straight up could turn out to be disaster. If I have only one chance to play Augusta, I would want to have a good time.

12 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

That green is a little target. Playing the 12th straight up could turn out to be disaster. If I have only one chance to play Augusta, I would want to have a good time.

Laying up, (presumably somewhere close to where the red circle is so that the water and the rough on the right aren't in play) is going to eliminate a 3 most of the time, doesnt guarantee a 4, and in fact for a 9-10 hcp like you or I, a 5 is still pretty well in play from that layup spot, which would be ~50 yards to a Sunday pin position. You'd still have to visually see the water in the front, make sure you dont hit it fat, the bunkers long, and be hitting off a tightly mowed surface, no guarantee you'd hit the green even from the layup position, and still a chance you could hit it in the water from the layup spot, bringing numbers greater than 5 into play.

12th.thumb.png.d0b65de8a663cb02a8f738c0949eab30.png

Its not like we are talking a 190 or 200 yd par 3 where you have to carry it the entire way with a hybrid or 3 iron for it to clear water. Using the measuring tool on Google Maps, from the back of the tee box to the front edge of the green just to the right of the bunker, its 147 yards. As people have shared in this thread, everyone has said either 7,8,9 irons with one 6 iron.

In order to have a good time you would choose to lay up instead of at least making an attempt to hit 7,8,9 iron off the tee? To each their own I guess, but I still cant wrap my head around that strategy.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You could always go to World Tour Golf in Myrtle Beach, or Renditions in Maryland to play Augusta #12. 

Jeff

In the bag:
:callaway: Epic Max 9.0 Project X Cypher 40 R 5.5
:tmade: R11S 3 Fairway
:ping: G425 4 & 5 hybrid 6-PW :cleveland: RTX 56 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2

A slightly throttled 6 iron for me.  Aiming center left and hoping my slight fade comes through.  My normal high ball flight should have it resting real close to where it lands - nuttin to it, a piece a cake ;-).

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

On 4/8/2018 at 11:46 PM, onthehunt526 said:

Now I know why only moderators/administrators can start major championship discussions.

But while this is related to the Masters, it is a completely different topic.

So you happen to have gotten an invite to play Augusta National, and are promised tournament Sunday conditions and hole locations.

You're standing on the 12th tee under today's conditions. Very light breeze, Pin in back right, as it is on Sunday every year. What club do you hit? Do you play for the flag or play conservative? Where do you aim?

I'll start... I would take an 8-iron over the left side of the bunker in the center. As long as I hit a stock one... I should be fine... The worst I would ever make is 4.

As a joke, I'd hit a 52° wedge as close to the Hogan bridge as I could and then putt it across chip on and 2 putt for a 5... haha

You must be a SUPA STAR!!

53 minutes ago, Zekez said:

53 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Well, if I executed the shot properly... I'd probably duff it short of Rae's Creek.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Probably a 6 or 7 toward the midde of the green, or possibly whatever club to catch the  fat part of left center which is a bit closer.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I don't think this really requires much thinking for most of us.  It's not like I have four different ways dialed in to hit it 160 that I'm going to want to choose from.  I'm probably aiming right half of green given the possible misses.  But mainly I'm just trying to stay smooth and get good contact so it goes the right distance.  I'll deal with how to not putt it off the green, or get up and down, when it comes to that!

• Upvote 1

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

I would take a 6i, aim just left of the flagstick and hit my usual draw. With the light breeze, the draw effect would be minimal and I should come out OK.

(I've always felt a right-handed player who draws the ball has a safety factor on this hole because of the prevailing wind.)

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Depends whether there is a limit on how many balls i can have :-P.

7 iron to the biggest part of the green. But i'd have to really be on it that day. Maybe a smooth 6 iron but knowing my luck i'd still duff it into the water. I think im allergic to holes that have water hazards on them ;-)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 4/9/2018 at 10:05 AM, Groucho Valentine said:

Depends on the wind. If there is no wind, i would probably just hit a 9i as high as a could to center of the green. If the wind was in my face, id try to drive a low 8 right at the usual sunday pin. If there was a cross wind, id just aim for the fat part of the green and hope it ends up in a manageable place. 

That^

You can't call the club until you take into account the wind.  That's what that hole's all about.

7i aimed right at the flag.  Push draw, carry of 160.  If it over draws a bit, I've got a 30 footer.  If it doesn't turn I guess I've got a tough chip.  If it goes as planned, I've got a good look at the bird.

• Administrator
9 hours ago, ncates00 said:

7i aimed right at the flag.  Push draw, carry of 160.  If it over draws a bit, I've got a 30 footer.  If it doesn't turn I guess I've got a tough chip.  If it goes as planned, I've got a good look at the bird.

If it over-draws you’re probably over the back. It’s angled short left to long right.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

14 hours ago, iacas said:

If it over-draws you’re probably over the back. It’s angled short left to long right.

Yeah you're right, but I think I can get up and down from there.

5 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Yeah you're right, but I think I can get up and down from there.

You can. The worst you'll make usually is 4. Unless you are an unusually bad chipper or putter. 

You would normally think right would be wet. It depends. If you take enough club to reach the smaller back bunker and play toward the 13th tee. It's an interesting spot over there, but at times, it's an easier up and down than long left from pin high right.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

If theres little to no wind, a slightly gripped-down 9 iron. If an annoyingly enough wind in face, punchy 8 iron.

If its a practice round, my bet is that the second guy (my mulligan) will choose the correct one ;-)

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

45 minutes ago, phillyk said:

If theres little to no wind, a slightly gripped-down 9 iron. If an annoyingly enough wind in face, punchy 8 iron.

If its a practice round, my bet is that the second guy (my mulligan) will choose the correct one ;-)

Interesting post. It amazes me how many of my friends will analyze a shot into the wind, determine that they need an extra club to get there, and then proceed to "baby" the shot and wind up short!

The pros always talk about committing to a shot. I tell my buddies that if that's their club, go ahead and hit it!

17 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

You can. The worst you'll make usually is 4. Unless you are an unusually bad chipper or putter. 

You would normally think right would be wet. It depends. If you take enough club to reach the smaller back bunker and play toward the 13th tee. It's an interesting spot over there, but at times, it's an easier up and down than long left from pin high right.

Missing right wouldn't leave much surface to land on for the chip though.

Note: This thread is 2200 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!