IGNORED

ARCCOS data suggests since 2015 driving distance has stayed the same or declined

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

According to piece, just driver was measured, sample space was 10 million. It also mentioned that an R&A report showed similar findings. One guess was that it is equipment. So pros keep crazy longer, ams get shorter. Looking at the graph, it seems the 40 to 60s groups are responsible for most of the decline.

According to Arccos’ research, the average change across all age groups (20s to 70s) in driving distance was a loss of 4.1 yards from 2015-'18.

ArccosAge.jpg

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/are-average-golfers-gaining-distance-new-study-says-not-by-a-long-shot

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

According to piece, just driver was measured, sample space was 10 million. It also mentioned that an R&A report showed similar findings. One guess was that it is equipment. So pros keep crazy longer, ams get shorter. Looking at the graph, it seems the 40 to 60s groups are responsible for most of the decline.

ArccosAge.jpg

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/are-average-golfers-gaining-distance-new-study-says-not-by-a-long-shot

Well I'm 58, so I would definitely be hurting the average! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Looking at the graph, it seems the 40 to 60s groups are responsible for most of the decline.

Don't blame me.  I'm in that age group, but my driving distance has definitely increased over that time span (due to technique; same driver).

But I don't use the Arccos system, so I wouldn't affect their data.  I wonder if GameGolf is seeing the same?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

It probably has more so to do with fitness and technique than equipment. A lot more pro golfers are becoming serious about strength/fitness, I doubt the same is true for the average amateur golfers which is why you see the difference.

33 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Don't blame me.  I'm in that age group, but my driving distance has definitely increased over that time span (due to technique; same driver).

But I don't use the Arccos system, so I wouldn't affect their data.  I wonder if GameGolf is seeing the same?

Conspiracy theory me thinking Arccos releasing this in tandem with start of season in league with golf club manufacturers to drum up sales, but I was wondering what Game Golf has to say as well.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

8 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Conspiracy theory me thinking Arccos releasing this in tandem with start of season in league with golf club manufacturers to drum up sales, but I was wondering what Game Golf has to say as well.

Arccos does have a partnership with Cobra..   but, I don't really see that data being a solid marketing strategy.   Technology improves every year (or at least, the driver companies want you to believe so).     All that data could correlate to is that the tech released in the last 3 years has caused negative improvements.   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

2018, huh? Yes the trend is there without it, but pretty bold for them to use this year when the season has barely begun for some people and course conditions might skew the numbers.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

2018, huh? Yes the trend is there without it, but pretty bold for them to use this year when the season has barely begun for some people and course conditions might skew the numbers.

It may be snowing where you are, as it is here.   But, worldwide there has certainly been plenty of golf to derive data in the first 4 1/2 months of the year..   

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

6 minutes ago, lastings said:

It may be snowing where you are, as it is here.   But, worldwide there has certainly been plenty of golf to derive data in the first 4 1/2 months of the year..   

You're still going to have better data with a larger sample size over the playing conditions of an entire year. I don't know how many units are used globally, but it's not summer yet in the northern hemisphere, when you'd expect driving distances to increase a bit.

Like I said, you can see the trend even without 2018 so it's likely to continue. Personally, I wouldn't have included an incomplete set of data in my argument, but that's just me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Hey don't blame all of us " old guys"  for the lack yardages improvement.. I am still a head of the curve.  :beer:

Then again no one ask me what my yardage is, so I am not part of the test group as it is.

If you ask me, it's those 70 year olds' fault. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I wonder if Arcos market share has expanded over that time, and whether any expansion might have been weighted towards higher-handicap players.  For something like this, I think it initially appeals to pretty avid players who want to track their shots.  As it gains in popularity, I can see its use going beyond that initial group of avid players.  Generally, I expect more avid golfers to also be lower handicap golfers (I know, there are lots of REALLY avid high-handicappers too, but I'm making a very broad guestimation).  If my guess is right, the average handicap of Arcos users may have gone up, and that would generally correlate to shorter driving distances.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

I wonder if Arcos market share has expanded over that time, and whether any expansion might have been weighted towards higher-handicap players.  For something like this, I think it initially appeals to pretty avid players who want to track their shots.  As it gains in popularity, I can see its use going beyond that initial group of avid players.  Generally, I expect more avid golfers to also be lower handicap golfers (I know, there are lots of REALLY avid high-handicappers too, but I'm making a very broad guestimation).  If my guess is right, the average handicap of Arcos users may have gone up, and that would generally correlate to shorter driving distances.

OK, now that I read the actual article, they show that even within handicap groups the driving distance has decreased slightly.  So much for my guessing. :doh:

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

I wonder if Arcos market share has expanded over that time, and whether any expansion might have been weighted towards higher-handicap players.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The early adopters of this stuff was lower handicap players. As more time goes on, the higher handicappers buy the toys.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

22 hours ago, iacas said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.

The early adopters of this stuff was lower handicap players. As more time goes on, the higher handicappers buy the toys.

Yeah was coming to post a similar thought but you too have it.

I would need seperation of abilities for the years measured to believe this I think.

Barring that, the only other thing that might cause it is age, but it doesnt seem to cover a lot of years.

maybe it's just that the benefits of new equipment for higher handicap players are way overblown?

or maybe people are using an expensive high spinning ball combined with massive spin numbers from driver strikes that are less than optimal.

i also think the lighter shafts have a negative impact on the swings of many players.

I dunno, could be a combination of things, could all be bullshit and a poor sample.  All I know is, when I go to the range and see people play, nobody is hitting it very far.  I can only remember a few times guys hit their driver further than me, and I really only get it out there about 250 carry.  point is, there are a lot of low swing speed golfers out there.

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

• Administrator

@downbylaw11, the point of the chart isn't to illustrate that people hit it rather short (the chart does show that, but that's not the point).

The point the chart is trying to make is that distance for amateurs has decreased over a span of a few years. But I think that point is likely explained by Dave:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!