IGNORED

Patrick Reed: A Very Positive Read

Hardluckster
Note:Β This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

• Administrator

Thanks for sharing. That's a good article.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, a good an positive story. Thank you, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite,Β A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy ProlaunchΒ Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed)Β Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce;Β PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I still don't get why he's the guy many choose to root against.Β  But, that he recognizes this and it motivates him to win even more may serve him well over his career.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5Β Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

9 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

I still don't get why he's the guy many choose to root against.Β  But, that he recognizes this and it motivates him to win even more may serve him well over his career.

People like to have villains as much as heroes I guess.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

52 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Well, we don't know all the details and it doesn't matter, but no one likes to see a family split up.Β  There were stories of bad blood with his parents.Β  It's been awhile since I read the story, I read it back when he called himself a top 5 player, but from what I read he alienated a lot of people at UGA as well.Β  Just pretty sad.Β  No one wants to root for a cocky guy that seemingly has a lot of personal issues (whether we know the reasons or not) that seem to be on him (again, whether correctΒ or not).Β  People like to root for the "good guys."Β  Your presumed family friendly guys like Speith, Zach Johnson, Matt Kuchar, Phil Mickelson, those kinds of guys have good rapport with fans and present themselves as nice guys that love their families and love their fans.Β  People appreciate that good attitude and level of professionalism.Β  That goes a long way in life.

Thanks for the article. Imagine if we wereΒ judged for the rest of our lives by how we might have acted in our late teens and early 20's.Β 

It's always a good to get "the other side of the story" to balance out the "popular opinion."Β  I imagine most people only know one-side of Patrick.Β  I was neither a fan or hater of Patrick.Β  His relationship with his family is his business, as with any other golfers.Β 

After having read this article, I think he is vastly misunderstood by most people who do not like him.

We all have skeletons in our closet.Β  And thank goodness we are not judged by only the misdeeds or acts during our immature days.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I'm a Patrick Reed fan myself (since his Ryder Cup appearances). I know that he has issues with his family since his wedding (read that in an article), but I'm not sure that makes him a bad guy. If rooting for the other is motivation for him...keep doing it and he'll keep winning. Whatever it takes.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white)Β 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 11:36 PM, fishgolf said:

You may not like it but you have to "get" it. It really started after his first win and he started listing his achievements in a boastful and cringeworthyΒ post-win interview and stated where he stood in terms of how he rated - many spots better than his OWGR. It came across as brash and cocky, not just over-confident and immature.

All the college stories were layered on topΒ it formed an unattractive picture. No-one denies his grit and his abilities. In my opinion probably the best hands in short game golf.Β 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Shorty said:

You may not like it but you have to "get" it. It really started after his first win and he started listing his achievements in a boastful and cringeworthyΒ post-win interview and stated where he stood in terms of how he rated - many spots better than his OWGR. It came across as brash and cocky, not just over-confident and immature.

I didn't take it that way. I liked what he had to say then.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 4/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, fishgolf said:

There were reasons to root against him. The top-5 comment was not his best moment. I volunteer at Valspar every year and the first couple yearsΒ he was a bit of an ass,Β and I've heard similar from others that he was a bit of a jerk. But over the last couple years he's turned the corner in a positive direction. He looks a lot more happy out there, more positive. This year at Valspar I saw a much different Reed. He was more positive, more happy and people-friendly. And then him winning me $400 at the Masters really made me a fan. So I've turned the corner on him. Now like him as a player.

So I guess there's always hope for Poulter since a guy like Reed shows he can change. Then again, after watching TPC yesterday in person and seeing how Poulter reacted when someone heckled him....likely not. After yesterday, Poulter moved up ahead of Sabbatini to #1 on my hate list. He is just an absolute d-word (pick whichever bad one you want).

Edited by ChrisP

3 hours ago, ChrisP said:

There were reasons to root against him. The top-5 comment was not his best moment. I volunteer at Valspar every year and the first couple yearsΒ he was a bit of an ass,Β and I've heard similar from others that he was a bit of a jerk. But over the last couple years he's turned the corner in a positive direction. He looks a lot more happy out there, more positive. This year at Valspar I saw a much different Reed. He was more positive, more happy and people-friendly. And then him winning me $400 at the Masters really made me a fan. So I've turned the corner on him. Now like him as a player.

So I guess there's always hope for Poulter since a guy like Reed shows he can change. Then again, after watching TPC yesterday in person and seeing how Poulter reacted when someone heckled him....likely not. After yesterday, Poulter moved up ahead of Sabbatini to #1 on my hate list. He is just an absolute d-word (pick whichever bad one you want).

In Patrick's case, I think we're simplyΒ seeing the maturity with age progression.Β  In Poulter's case, I believe it is simply his desire to play the antagonist as I cannot recall a time when he wasn'tΒ irritating.Β  One thing for certain is that he is a grinderΒ and seems to raise his level of play at Ryder Cup events - which no doubt further rubs us Yank's.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5Β Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• 2 months later...
On β€Ž4β€Ž/β€Ž25β€Ž/β€Ž2018 at 9:36 AM, fishgolf said:

Things like this don't help.....

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/reed-disturbed-camera-crew/

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex,Β Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Β 
Β 

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, scotth said:

If it’s true, I don’t see how it hurts.

He should put up with that?

1 hour ago, iacas said:

He should put up with that?

I didn't say that..... at all.Β  But as the commentators pointed out there was probably a better way to handle it.

Which pretty much sums up my opinion about Patrick Reed.Β  I WANT to like him, and his work in Junior golf is fantastic.Β  He just finds in my opinion, far to often the most abrasive way to do and say things. Β 

In my bag: All Lefty clubs
Goldsmith driver I built 10 degree reg flex, Orlimar 14 degree 3 wood, 7 wood
Cobra Oversize 3 and 4 iron; Gigagolf Ion Control 5 iron through PW firm flex and 1 inch over with 3 degrees upright
Golfsmith SW that I built, steel shaft reg flex,Β Cleveland Tour Action Raw 60 with dynamic golf stiff
Scotty Cameron Teryllium Newport putter

Β 
Β 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, scotth said:

I didn't say that..... at all.Β  But as the commentators pointed out there was probably a better way to handle it.

I don’t agree and think you’re being too sensitive about it. He didn’t yell. Didn’t curse. He toldΒ them to move when they were being unprofessional.

Note:Β This thread is 2080 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!