IGNORED

Busting Out of the Barrel - Why Turning in a Barrel is Wrong in 4,014 words

iacas
Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Tiger, Ben, Justin, and Jack would have busted out of their barrels:

TigerBarrel.jpgHoganBarrel.jpgRoseBarrel.jpgJackBarrel.jpg

Further reading:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For what it’s worth (which may not be much), the thread shared in the original post above is why I decided to join this site. As just a forum snooper at the time it was one of the best things I had read to date. 

As a college athlete (non golf) I hit the ball far for my size, but when I left college and started to focus more on golf my distance declined, I started reading and hearing about turning in a barrel and of course tried to adopt it in my swing. I lost a lot of distance (like a lot!) and even started to develop some back pain because I was trying so hard to stay in that barrel. Reading that thread got me on my track back to something that resembled golf, and dropped my HC from around 30 to the lower 20s in a year. It’s the reason why at 5’7 130 it’s not unusual for me to hit my 3 wood 240+ yards. None of that happened when I “turned in the barrel”. Just food for thought for anyone doubting the importance of sliding the hips or looking to see if this site has any instructional value. 

• Informative 1

It just dawned on me how the title makes sense!

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator
1 minute ago, jamo said:

It just dawned on me how the title makes sense!

Heh heh. 😉

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Tl;dr 😛

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This is excellent. And for a real life situation this came into play:

My former instructor was watching me hit and he says...”Kevin your lead hip is moving toward the target just before your backswing is finished .”

Yeah I’ve been working on the transition.

Instructor: “Not good. You’re losing power and it’s messing up your downswing.”

You mean my hip press/slide is occurring out of sync?

Instructor: “No...you shouldn’t move your hip forward at all. You should swing back and through as if you’re standing in a barrel.”

He then proceeds to stick an alignment rod in the ground touching my lead hip and tells me not to touch it throughout my swing.

I actually referenced the hip slide thread for him to read after telling him not only does he slide his hip forward but just about every good golfer does too.

He never read it. Shame too. This guy is only 26 so I’d think he’d be more up to date.

• Upvote 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I've heard the whole turn in the barrel story, too. I sometimes hang back too much and don't slide enough. I feel as if I need to get that hip slide headed toward the target at the top more often.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I had heard of the "turn in a barrel" thing...but I always thought it only referred to the backswing, as a thought to avoid moving off of the ball.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at yet another example of over-simplified and incorrect instruction.

- John

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Hardspoon said:

I had heard of the "turn in a barrel" thing...but I always thought it only referred to the backswing, as a thought to avoid moving off of the ball.

It can mean that, too, but it's definitely been used to mean on the downswing as well.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Technically 8,014..😋

Nah. Those are single image files, hence, one picture. 😁

Yo bust a move. 🎶

😜

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

6 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

Does the hip slide on the downswing have anything to do with creating lag?

Broadly, yes. Sequencing. Soft arms and wrists prolly most important.

Vishal S.

52 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Broadly, yes. Sequencing. Soft arms and wrists prolly most important.

Hmm....soft arms isn't a thought that works for me

Colin P.

• Administrator
7 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

Does the hip slide on the downswing have anything to do with creating lag?

Yes, but it’s complicated.

1 hour ago, colin007 said:

Hmm....soft arms isn't a thought that works for me

My bad. Should not have mentioned that as an 'absolute' across the board for everybody. And yes, it is a relative thing. 

Anyway, let's not hijack this thread. This is being discussed in the other 'speed from arms' thread that was raging last week. 

Vishal S.

• 4 months later...

It's interesting to me that from the pictures it looks like the head/shoulders do kinda stay 'in the barrel'.

Could this be the reason for the comparison, as opposed to the hips - more focus on  steady head/shoulders?

I know every time I've tried to swing in a barrel, I end up reverse pivoting and spinning out.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

Note: This thread is 1895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!