IGNORED

One of those days, they suck

cooke119
Note: This thread is 2171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played 18 yesterday, felt good, clean clubs, ready to go, well the wheels came off the wagon. I don't get it, could not get my tempo right, fading everything even my irons, hitting them fat, hitting them thin. Felt like walking off the course. Other days I go and I'm on. I don't get it. I guess that is why they call it golf.

Days like that happen. Should be better next time out. That's what I tell myself when I have one of those days. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Still beats working.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Still beats working.

Not for me. Fades, fats, thins....child’s play. Carry on. Shanks? Ya done.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

I might be playing the worst golf I have since I spent an entire summer when I was 18 playing 5-6 days a week, walking 54+ holes. My last official HC revision a few years ago, I was a +.7. I was about that unofficially at the end of last season (I spend more time helping my kids than I do shooting for score anymore the past 3 years so I stopped maintaining one, figuring myself basically as a scratch). I don't play tournaments and if I did I entered them in the scratch category (county tournament pretty much the only one I'd played in years). 

As background, the prior winter I didn't swing a club from late November until March. My first round last year, I was standing on 17 tee -1. I hit my tee shot into this par three, spun it back into the lake, but got up and down for a bogey. Even. Probably would have made at least par on 18 except some yaywho 40 yards away started up a chainsaw in the middle of my downswing for my pitch onto this short par 4 green in two which caused a bladed shot and a bogey. +1 for the round. Pretty typical round for me last year. 

This winter I recommitted myself to working on my game and spent a minimum of two hours a week hitting on an About Golf simulator. Didn't have more than 3 days in a row that I hadn't swung a club all winter long. Set up a net in my basement for wedges and never went more than 2 days in a row without hitting into it. 

Stepped onto the course feeling pretty good for my first round of the year a couple months back. Couldn't do anything right. Wrote that off. I always have a What The Heck round or two every year. I've since played about 12 more rounds without sniffing par. Most rounds aren't even close. I'm happy to be in the upper 70's. I've had a couple that were close to 100. I'm chunking, blading, flipping, pushing, etc dang near every shot. First I was blaming the sopping wet conditions. Then I was blaming the fact that I'm wearing glasses now and my depth perception is wonky. I think it's time to face the fact that I am either in a huge slump or I just stink now. The strength of my game has always been hitting it a mile, overpowering a course. I played a round with my BIL two weeks ago, I used to outdrove him by 30+ pretty much every hole. He was hitting it even or even just by me on well struck shots. He hasn't gained any SS, I haven't really lost any. My ball just isn't going anywhere. I've always fought the spin monster. I know it's not a dead club as I've hit several different ones. The ball just isn't going anywhere. Sigh. 

Golf is hard. Hit them well golfing friends. 

At the end of the day its only a game. Sure its frustrating when your range game doesnt transfer to the course but hey, could be worse, you could be on tour and that 5 foot putt you missed could have cost you this months rent.

For me, playing rubbish golf is better than playing no golf at all.

Edited by RussUK

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

12 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

He hasn't gained any SS, I haven't really lost any. My ball just isn't going anywhere. I've always fought the spin monster. I know it's not a dead club as I've hit several different ones. The ball just isn't going anywhere. 

I can promise you that you arent swinging the exact same swing speed, same ball speed, same smash factor, the same launch angle, same spin rate, same AoA, same face to path ratios, and driving it 30 yards shorter than you used to. That defies physics.

Something changed in your swing/delivery of the club to the ball thats causing the decrease in distance. You might be correct that your swing speed hasnt changed, but there's a whole lot more to driving a golf ball than just swing speed.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

13 hours ago, SmiterofPV1x said:

He hasn't gained any SS, I haven't really lost any. My ball just isn't going anywhere. I've always fought the spin monster. I know it's not a dead club as I've hit several different ones. The ball just isn't going anywhere.

Check the connection between the driver and the shaft. I had a similar issue in the beginning of the last season. Drives always felt good but the flight was just a knuckleball and the ball wouldnt go more than 200 yards. On my 4th or 5th round of the year, my driver went snap crackle pop and flew down the first fairway. 

I seem to usually have only 1 wheel come off in a round, not all 4.

Last Sat my game was pretty good except my wedges were horrible all day long.

D & woods were long & straight, irons were good but I kept duffing, chunking or sculling my wedges.  Usually my wedge game is really good and it's either my D, long irons or mid irons that I have an issue with... not on all holes but a few here and there to give me a couple of bad holes.

I don't let it get me down as it is always better to be golfing than working!

With the new club I joined, they have a driving range so I will start going an hour earlier and hit a bucket before the round and do some chipping.   

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I've got to get that round out of my head, I play every week with a good group of guys but the "stuff" you have to take from them when you are playing bad is really awful, they don't hold back. Each week you are teamed with different guys and we play for money, not much but still there is money on the line, (if you come in the money it usually goes to a family in need) but still there is some pressure. Hopefully next time out I'll do better. Gotta hit the range first though and work on my tempo, slow things down. One of my partners last week told me my back swing was really fast, not good.

Cooke, you sound like me this year! I have absolutely no idea where the bottom of my swing is, thus all the thins and fats. Having the Golf Dome fall flat under a snow and ice load back in December sure didn't help! No place to practice pre-season. Plus, the rotten Spring weather wouldn't let us out on the course. The conditions have been stacked against us!

On 5/10/2018 at 9:34 AM, klineka said:

I can promise you that you arent swinging the exact same swing speed, same ball speed, same smash factor, the same launch angle, same spin rate, same AoA, same face to path ratios, and driving it 30 yards shorter than you used to. That defies physics.

Something changed in your swing/delivery of the club to the ball thats causing the decrease in distance. You might be correct that your swing speed hasnt changed, but there's a whole lot more to driving a golf ball than just swing speed.

Agreed, I've always been a super high driver spin player. I think that's my main problem. It shouldn't be as I've got the most spin killing set-up possible, but it's gotta be that. Once I heal up I'm going to have to check in with a swing doc to find out what on earth I'm doing wrong. I just had high hopes for this year, it's really the only year ever that I've practiced year round. Of course it's also the worst I've played in ever. 

Golf is hard! 

I had rounds like that the good thing is that they end. I try to take any good shots that I did hit and focus on them and forget the rest. If asked I say well the stupid ball did not go where it was suppose to go. It went where I hit it instead. Oh well!.

Note: This thread is 2171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!