IGNORED

2018 U.S. Open at Shinnecock Hills

iacas
Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

European wins don't count in US golf rankings....

WTF are you talking about? What are US golf rankings? There are WORLD rankings.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Matthew Fitzpatrick was in McIlroy's group during a practice round, the standard still showed McIlroy's name, but he left the group. It was funny hearing fans call out Rory's name in the direction of Fitzpatrick. He was clearly annoyed, saying, not Rory. Still signed autographs though. 

A long time ago, can't remember what tournament, was walking around and Faldo was nearby. Kids thought he was Furyk. Faldo was like, not Furyk.

A few years ago at The Open when Paul Dunne was sponsored by UA he said he was constantly being mistaken for Spieth, I can see how that can get annoying.  Half the people don’t know what they look like they just know the names and I’m not even talking about the kids

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Great putt for DJ from way out there. 

Pretty good putt for Tiger from 41' (17 green)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

182 yards, hitting a pitching wedge, just short.  Wow.

Thomas with a huge drive on #18.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• Administrator
4 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

And i would seriously question if a 10 would make an occassional par;

Cool.

The severity of the rough compared to what most 'average joe 10 hdcp' plays, the slopes and run offs around the greens, the speed of the greens. The only way a 10 handicap would make a par would be a lucky chip in.

Most average amateurs don't play fairways that are 41 yards in width, either.

Further proof for my point that a 10 hdcp would have great difficulty making a par.

You don't seem to understand the definition of "proof."

He was in a position to two-putt from just off the green on the second hole.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I went back thru all 17 pages looking for anyone who picked Ian Poulter to win this race.

lol.gif

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
1 hour ago, JSGolf said:

It was over when Golf Channel was pimping him before the tournament ever started.

56 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

And Rahm where is he? I LOL because the golf media pimps him so much. I haven't seen anything from him to get all this praise.

49 minutes ago, JSGolf said:

Did he win a PGA tournament and I missed it?😂

What great, knowledgeable "contributions" you've made to this discussion, @JSGolf.

Where are your pre-tournament predictions?

9 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

I went back thru all 17 pages looking for anyone who picked Ian Poulter to win this race.

It's been one day. Slow your roll.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Holy shit what happened? Tiger was +3 when I went to do yard work...

26 minutes ago, Shindig said:

182 yards, hitting a pitching wedge, just short.  Wow.

Big whoop. I'd come up short with PW from 182, too 😜

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Where are your pre-tournament predictions?

I didn't make one, but hoping Rickie Fowler or DJ win. 

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's been one day. Slow your roll.

I'm thinking quite a few players are saying this right about now.  Some might even be saying "I cannot believe it's only been one day".

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

I didn't make one, but hoping Rickie Fowler or DJ win.

FWIW I wasn't asking you.

You aren't making a series of asinine posts like @JSGolf.

38 minutes ago, iacas said:

Most average amateurs don't play fairways that are 41 yards in width, either.

Or courses that are 7400 yds, where you must carry tee shots 250 yds on some holes just to reach the fairway.

I've put a number on it (124 at best - triple bogey/hole) what do you think a 10 hdcp would shoot at Shinnecock today? 

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Or courses that are 7400 yds, where you must carry tee shots 250 yds on some holes just to reach the fairway.

I've put a number on it (124 at best - triple bogey/hole) what do you think a 10 hdcp would shoot at Shinnecock today? 

I don't think you understand/appreciate what a typical 10 handicapper is. I don't think you understand/appreciate that they can make a par now and then, even a birdie.

You keep throwing out stuff like this:

• Just because one or two players made three doubles in a few holes… doesn't mean everyone did. Some of the pros birdied those holes. Or parred.
  • They don't have to hit it 250 to reach every fairway. Most of the holes require a shorter drive. And again, most of the fairways are actually wider than what an amateur typically plays.
  • Many of the holes would allow them to bounce a ball onto the green. They don't have to fly their 6-iron 200 yards.

I'm not getting into the score prediction stuff because there's no way to prove it (the Golf Digest things only lasted two years), except to say that 124 at best is too high.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don't think you understand/appreciate what a typical 10 handicapper is. I don't think you understand/appreciate that they can make a par now and then, even a birdie.

I totally understand/appreciate because i am one. I make pars and i make birdies - on the courses i play that are far shorter and far easier with a far less severe penalty for wayward shots than Shinnecock was today.  Just because i can par/birdie some holes on a 6600 yd course with little to no rough, very gentle greens - that roll much slower, bunkers that are much less severe, and etc. doesn't mean i would make pars & birdies at Shinnecock. It's about 800 yds longer with extremely severe rough and difficult green complexes that are confounding the best in the game.

The top 10 in the world ranking shot +50 something over par today, an avg of 75+ for the top 10 players in the world. The field had 193 double bogeys or worse today. That's incredible.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

8 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

I totally understand/appreciate because i am one. I make pars and i make birdies - on the courses i play that are far shorter and far easier with a far less severe penalty for wayward shots than Shinnecock was today.  Just because i can par/birdie some holes on a 6600 yd course with little to no rough, very gentle greens - that roll much slower, bunkers that are much less severe, and etc. doesn't mean i would make pars & birdies at Shinnecock. It's about 800 yds longer with extremely severe rough and difficult green complexes that are confounding the best in the game.

A person who plays Shinnecock exclusively, plays from the green tees (not the tips), and has half their rounds (the better half of their rounds) with an average of 84 would hold an index around 10.   Are the extra 70 yards/hole (average difference from green tees to U.S. Open tees) really nearly a stroke difference?  Shooting that 84 would have a few good pars and maybe a birdie or two thrown in;  I don't think the extra 70 yards transform all of those pars into bogeys and beyond.

I'm also not convinced a pro having a single poor score on a hole means it's hopeless for amateurs.  My home course used to host the L.A. Open;  Arnold Palmer came to our par-5 18th near the lead one Friday and had a 12.  Somehow I've been able to make pars (and two birdies) on that hole. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

Still not a fan of Curtis Strange's announcing. I still remember "You'll learn." He's just a negative nabob. 

Seems like the cameramen are losing the ball. I had problems following the ball from the side at Shinnecock. The ball blends well with the sky. 

The grees are sort of like tabletops at Pinehurst. 

I guess Dufner's done with the hat thing. 

I like that you can make out more of the player caddie convo.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

And Thomas drove it 420 yards on 18 but they didn't show it? They showed DJ playing it safe with an iron but skipped a massive drive from JT while showing some ok shots on a par 3?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2134 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!