IGNORED

14-Club Challenge

saevel25
Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This would be fun to do, 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

This would be fun to do

Fun indeed. I like how they need subtitles for these English speakers.

If those guys scored a combined 3 points, I'm going guess I'd get a big fat 0.

Fun to watch though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator

That was terrible. I don't understand. @mvmac and I could hit the greens that were 50 yards short of our normal 5-iron distance with 5-irons during the one club challenge. I can hit pitches with 8-irons, or hit it from 100 yards. The other day I hit my 7-iron from about 80 yards and put three shots to within 20 feet.

I've hit hybrids "chippy" and hit greens that are just 150 away.

3 was pretty bad. Green looked relatively large, too, with a backstop.

I'd have expected about six shots on the green.

Now, the hole was, what, 185? The false front may have hurt them. But still… three?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hell, this was just a couple of guys goofing around! Didn't look like they put a lot of thought into the endeavor.

And Carl3, my Mom and Step Dad visited England many years ago. When they came back my Mom told me that she couldn't understand anybody over there! The English speak English, we Americans speak American!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iacas said:

That was terrible. I don't understand. @mvmac and I could hit the greens that were 50 yards short of our normal 5-iron distance with 5-irons during the one club challenge. I can hit pitches with 8-irons, or hit it from 100 yards. The other day I hit my 7-iron from about 80 yards and put three shots to within 20 feet.

OK...I know what you mean (and I've seen you do shit like that!), but the "baseline" of hitting a green from 185 is tougher than pitches or 80-yard shots or 100-yard shots.

2 hours ago, iacas said:

Now, the hole was, what, 185? The false front may have hurt them. But still… three?

Maybe three wasn't great, but you shouldn't have expected six.

Take the "too short clubs" away (8i down), and they had 9 clubs with a real chance at the green.  So far this year, McDowell has hit 48% GIR from 175-200 yards, and Harrington 46%.  So, even with the optimal club, you'd only expect them to hit 4.5 shots on the green.  I would have guessed 3 or 4...figuring the really long clubs would cost them a shot or so.

(EDIT: I realize these % are on approaches, not from the tee...so I guess the lies would cost them some...but I still feel like 4/9 is a more reasonable guess than 6/9).

I agree that people overestimate the difficultly of hitting clubs shorter distance, and this video somewhat falsely reinforces that, but it's really more a demonstration of the baseline difficulty of hitting a green from 185.

Edited by Hardspoon

- John

That was pretty fun to watch, but I think it would be better with a hole that's like 130-150 yards long. Then each guy would have at least 6 clubs they could hit a 140 yard shot with or whatever it is. At 185, you really have no chance to get anything less than an 8 iron there. 

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

I agree that people overestimate the difficultly of hitting clubs shorter distance, and this video somewhat falsely reinforces that, but it's really more a demonstration of the baseline difficulty of hitting a green from 185.

FWIW the sign says 174 yards. The 185 yards in my post was a guess based on the idea that they wanted to hit a 6-iron.

But yeah, your point holds… I'm just surprised at how poorly they did with the longer clubs, particularly given the run-up area available to them.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here is another one. A bit closer at 166 yards, but they end up with 7 combined GIR (50%)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Here is another one. A bit closer at 166 yards, but they end up with 7 combined GIR (50%)

Eight yards closer and more representative of what I'd expect. Better players, though, not past their primes.

Then again, that green looks a lot tougher to hit, with bunkers, water, etc. Very little room to run the ball on.

That does look fun!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Better players, though, not past their primes.

Haha - ouch.

(but, yes, I thought the same thing when I was writing my post above and looked up the stats for PH and GM).

- John

15 hours ago, iacas said:

I've hit hybrids "chippy" and hit greens that are just 150 away.

I’m pretty surprised at the poor shots they hit. I thought it was gonna be a couple of random guys..only to see GMac and Paddy! I know they were just goofing around but those were some pretty lousy shots.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The 166 yarder was more fun to watch. I thought they should have pushed the ball in the ground a little to hit the thin shots.

• Like 1

Vishal S.

Note: This thread is 2132 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!