IGNORED

Short Putting

mrb3318
Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There is nothing more frustrating in golf than the inability to make the 12-18" putt...  I think this will drive me out of the game faster than anything.    It affects your attitude for the rest of the game.  

I have tried everything.  I am now using the claw while only looking at the hole while putting.  The rest of my putts are good they at least have a chance to go in.  

I had this problem for years and whilst I still miss the odd one like everyone else, I greatly improved by moving from a mallet to anOdyssey #1W. 

I used the ping app and discovered I had a strong arc in my stroke. Tried blade putters but had difficulty lineing them up and the #1W has been a godsend.

I have no real answer for you. For me its the speed of the putt I have trouble with. I can read the putts okay, but my ball will stop just short of the hole ,or hit the hole and hop over it, or I hit to hard and it goes right thru the break. All I  can tell you is keep making adjustments. I you can't miss them all it just feels that way in the middle of the round..Sorry I could not be of more help but I share your frustration.

If you say you are struggling with 12-18" putts but "The rest of my putts are good they at least have a chance to go in" you are kidding yourself. What is happening is that your bad stroke is not as obvious. Those putts might actually be worse. A 3 or six footer that lips out is not always a a good putt  You have to work on getting your putter path on track. Missing 1 foot putts is  very major issue. Playing around with grips is not the solution. Start by thinking of a square putter path 6 inches behind and after the ball. 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Missed a 2-foot putt yesterday on a hole I laid up beautifully with, with my iron. Got anxious/nervous and missed it slightly to the left. Grrr. But ... it happens. Right ? RIGHT ?? Lol !

" No one succeeds without effort... Those who succeed owe their success to perseverance.

Let come what comes, let go what goes. See what remains. "

- RM

1 hour ago, mrb3318 said:

There is nothing more frustrating in golf than the inability to make the 12-18" putt...  I think this will drive me out of the game faster than anything.    It affects your attitude for the rest of the game.  

I have tried everything.  I am now using the claw while only looking at the hole while putting.  The rest of my putts are good they at least have a chance to go in.  

You must’ve never had a respectable case of the shanks. Much, much more frustrating .

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like you are more afraid of missing the short putt, than you have confidence in making it

Try this. Get on a level surface some where. Grass, or carpet, it doesn't matter. 

Take a coin, penny, dime, or a quarter and lay it flat, 12 inches in front the ball. Then stroke ball, trying to roll the ball over the coin. If you can roll the ball over the coin, then you are hitting a straight putt. 

If you are missing the coin, obviously your problem is not hitting a straight putt. When missing the coin, are you missing it to the left, or to the right? Short?

You say you have tried everything. If right handed, have you tried a left hand low grip?  (If left handed, then right hand low.) When stroking the putt, make sure the back of the low hand faces towards the target

That is all a putt is. It's just a straight putt to a target, that may, or may not be the hole. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Grab a metal yard stick and try to putt the length of it.   When you are accomplished at that the 12-18" will be easy.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

21 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Grab a metal yard stick and try to putt the length of it.   When you are accomplished at that the 12-18" will be easy.

Love that drill for those knee knocking 3 footers!

3 hours ago, Shorty said:

If you say you are struggling with 12-18" putts but "The rest of my putts are good they at least have a chance to go in" you are kidding yourself. What is happening is that your bad stroke is not as obvious. Those putts might actually be worse. A 3 or six footer that lips out is not always a a good putt  You have to work on getting your putter path on track. Missing 1 foot putts is  very major issue. Playing around with grips is not the solution. Start by thinking of a square putter path 6 inches behind and after the ball. 

Shorty, you read my mind! Saying that your longer putts at least have a chance of going in means nothing! All putts have the chance of going in, just as much as they have the chance of missing! It's all on the person making the stroke. 

I can't imagine missing a 1 foot putt, and I've had the opportunity to do so at a local country club. Even the 1 footers had break! The greens were as slick as ice. You just had to read the line and make a positive putt! 

I'd guess the OP needs to do some short putt drills to calm his nerves. Do the circle drill, but just a foot from the hole. Then move back to 18". If that's your bugaboo, I supposed that would be the quickest way to fix it.

4 hours ago, mrb3318 said:

I have tried everything.

I'm the last person on this site who should give any kind of advice and you'd probably be wise to dismiss it, but here goes...

I think this might go along with what @Shorty was suggesting about the square path 6" before and after the ball. The thought for me is to follow or "chase" the ball with the putter face towards the hole. It feels exaggerated to me but I think it helps keep the putter square.

Jon

it's all in your head, man.    I've gone through it.   We all have in one way or another.   but, a foot is a foot.  a 6 year old can hit that putt.  consistently.    seriously, head over to the local putt-putt course.   you'll see 6-year-olds burying 18 inchers left and right.    you just convinced yourself you can't do it.    

just go to the putting green and hit about 100 of them in a row.   the confidence will come back. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 6/4/2018 at 8:12 PM, HJJ003 said:

Love that drill for those knee knocking 3 footers!

But it's those 37 inchers that'll get ya!!!!

• Like 1

Colin P.

12-18" are gimmies in Yuma.  Not sure what to add that hasn't been offered except to say that I sometimes think our ability to get a good line, particularly if the short putt has some movement, gets more challenging closer in.  This is why seniors invented the gimmie. :dance:

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Note: This thread is 2142 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!