IGNORED

Shot Clock on the PGA Tour

fishgolf
Note: This thread is 2085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Shot Clock on PGA Tour  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support adding a shot clock to the PGA Tour?

• yes
    • no

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I said "no" because I believe that 40 seconds can be too short of a time when there are large purses involved and major championships.  I would agree to 1 minute on the PGA Tour.  How many times have you seen a group in front of you plumb bobbing the putt and someone says "What, do they think its Sunday at Augusta?".  I hate slow play but believe that the pros could use a bit more leeway than the average amateur having a fun day playing golf.

I don't think you have sat there and timed out 40 seconds lately.

40 seconds is A REALLY LONG TIME.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:01 AM, iacas said:

@fishgolf they’re entertainers. And taking 5:30 to do the same thing you can do in 4:00 is less enjoyable entertainment.

Looking at it another way, for the price of admission to Augusta, I'd feel better with it being an 8 hour round.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
1 minute ago, fishgolf said:

Looking at it another way, for the price of admission to Augusta, I'd feel better with it being an 8 hour round.

That makes no sense. You'd not get to see more golf shots. You'd actually see far fewer.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, NJpatbee said:

I said "no" because I believe that 40 seconds can be too short of a time when there are large purses involved and major championships.  I would agree to 1 minute on the PGA Tour.  How many times have you seen a group in front of you plumb bobbing the putt and someone says "What, do they think its Sunday at Augusta?".  I hate slow play but believe that the pros could use a bit more leeway than the average amateur having a fun day playing golf.

I agree that there should be leeway but (1) for the majority of shots, I bet 40 seconds is more than enough and (2) when they used it on the Euro Tour, they had a couple extensions that they could use when faced with something tricky.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

That makes no sense. You'd not get to see more golf shots. You'd actually see far fewer.

Golf should be sipped and savored like a fine wine, not chugged like cheap, warm beer. ;-)

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

• Administrator
1 hour ago, fishgolf said:

Golf should be sipped and savored like a fine wine, not chugged like cheap, warm beer. ;-)

Pros playing in over four hours is not chugging a cheap, warm beer. Your beer would be warm if they played as slowly as you seem to wish they would.

I voted yes! The pace of play on Tour is abysmal and is spreading, Went out to an AJGA tournament held at a local course. Play from tee to green was fairly swift. But once the players were on the green they basically dropped anchor!

They had all the pro mannerisms. Looking at putts from every angle imaginable. Aimpoint from the same! No doubt they could play the game, but at what price of time?

Back in the day I developed a reputation as a "slow" player. I hated that and vowed to change it. These days I can't wait to get going! See the shot and hit it!

15 hours ago, NJpatbee said:

Human beings have run 400 meters in just over 40 seconds (~43).  Put that in perspective. Your playing partner,Wayde van Niekerk of South Africa,  hits a ball off the tee on a 400 yard par 4. He starts running and reaches the fringe of the green BEFORE you finally hit. 

15 hours ago, iacas said:

We discussed it in my Tuesday group. It is a long time, especially if you play Ready Golf.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

2 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Human beings have run 400 meters in just over 40 seconds (~43).  Put that in perspective. Your playing partner,Wayde van Niekerk of South Africa,  hits a ball off the tee on a 400 yard par 4. He starts running and reaches the fringe of the green BEFORE you finally hit. 

We discussed it in my Tuesday group. It is a long time, especially if you play Ready Golf.

I love the putting it into perspective piece.

I was trying to think yesterday while driving (automobile, not golf ball) how I would even use 40 seconds on the golf course for a shot, especially a course I already know.  I know my tee shots from my tee positions at my home course and the obvious variations aren't far off.  I suppose if I'm suddenly moved to the back tees, it might change my club selection on four holes (possibly five).  

For my second shot, yeah, I have to measure ... which I can do very quickly, and I was able to do fairly quickly even before I had devices to do it for me.  And if I'm not first to hit the second shot, I have probably measured before I'd be on the clock.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:06 PM, iacas said:

That's exactly what I tried to tell my girlfriend the other night! :whistle:

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

I don't understand the people against this. The faster they play, the more players and groups they can cover during the television broadcast. I'm all for seeing more shots from more players instead of hours of pointless banter by the casters to fill the time waiting for shots to be hit.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

On 6/20/2018 at 7:40 AM, boogielicious said:

I cannot imagine myself ever taking 40 seconds to make a golf shot but the origina! Poll was regarding the Tour.  I am also not suggesting that pros would take a minute for each shot.  But as stated the 40 second limit would apply to every shot which does not allow for any exceptions. For example, it is Sunday at the Masters and a player in contention goes for a par 5 in two and gets in serious trouble about 20 yards from a tall tree with low hanging branches with a bunker in front of a green that slopes away from the pin. The player gets to his ball and is away (timer starts).  A decision is to be made whether to go over or under the tree.  The player walks the 20 yards to examine the tree and then walks another 15 yards to get a good look at the slope of the green and then walks back to his ball.  He grabs his 60 degree wedge but then re-considers and takes a club to go under the branches.   Taking a minute to perform the above under major tournament conditions does not seem to me to be excessive.  Sure, 10 - 20 seconds for most shots is plenty of time but by setting an absolute of 40 seconds there is no allowance for the exception which is why I am opposed to it for the Tour.

• Administrator

@NJpatbee players were given a few extensions.

On 6/19/2018 at 4:36 PM, fishgolf said:

Something tells me a lot of people have moaned while playing behind you. Unfortunately you’re probably not aware of it at all. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

5 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Something tells me a lot of people have moaned while playing behind you. Unfortunately you’re probably not aware of it at all. 

You have homework.  Go back and read #30. 

On 6/9/2018 at 9:04 AM, fishgolf said:

I do wholeheartedly agree that really slow play is aggravating and like most try to move myself and those I play with along at typical pace 

1. Yet you enjoy watching it? 

2. Many slow players believe they’re doing this. They’re not.

3. ‘Typical pace’ If the group ahead of you is a hole behind their group ahead, and your group is hole behind...you’re on pace. A slow one.. Get a Marshall. Move along. 

Nope. Sorry. I’m still feeling you’re one of the many out there who think they’re playing ready golf and not.

Luuuuuucy.....you’ve got some explaining to do!

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

Nope. Sorry. I’m still feeling you’re one of the many out there who think they’re playing ready golf and not.

Paint with a broad brush much? FWIW, you're coming across as pretty arrogant. 

Note: This thread is 2085 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!